Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Platforms / Tracks at 30th Street Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1515510  by frigidlight

Apologies if a thread exists with this information but I certainly couldn't find it via search.

I'm trying to clean up the Foursquare venues at 30th Street Station and separate the upper level SEPTA tracks from the lower level Amtrak / NJT tracks. There are 6 SEPTA tracks and three platforms on the upper level but does anyone know how many open platforms and tracks Amtrak has on the lower level? From personal experience, I've used a bunch of lower level tracks but never Track 1. Wikipedia says that there are 9 tracks on the lower level. Does Track 1 exist and does Track 10 exist?
 #1515573  by amtrakhogger

Yes, there are 10 tracks and 5 platforms. 1-2 are (typically) by NJT AC trains, 3-6 are used for through Amtrak trains (Acela, Regional, etc.), and 7-10 are used by Amtrak Harrisburg trains (including 42-43 to/from Pittsburgh.) Currently, Septa is also using lower level due to track work at Arsenal Interlocking.
 #1515594  by west point

One thing to notice about PHL planforms. The platforms on the lower level are very long. Last time there the southern portion of them were very poorly lighted. Have no idea how many cars would fit there but a wag would say 20 cars . Does anyone know better ?
 #1515605  by ExCon90

west point wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:54 pm One thing to notice about PHL planforms. The platforms on the lower level are very long. Last time there the southern portion of them were very poorly lighted. Have no idea how many cars would fit there but a wag would say 20 cars . Does anyone know better ?
Back in the 50's the Florida trains used to run about 18 cars, maybe longer; double-stopping wasn't necessary. Even on the Upper Level the platforms were long enough to handle very long Atlantic City trains in the summer. The (compass) west ends of those platforms have since been closed off, but in July and August when Broad St. was still in service they saw some long trains of P70's.
 #1515647  by CNJGeep

They can hold fourteen cars each.

No. 1 also has the former mail platform on the opposite side. No. 11 is a running track with no platform.

CSS going North on 3/4, South on 5/6, which is why you'll see most through trains on those tracks.

I haven't been down there in a loooooooonnng time so I don't recall off top of head how 7-10 are set up for CSS, I don't think they have it.

SEPTA is using 9-10 currently, same as last summer.
 #1515651  by Acela150

CNJGeep wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:10 pm I haven't been down there in a loooooooonnng time so I don't recall off top of head how 7-10 are set up for CSS, I don't think they have it.
7-10 don't have CSS. Each end of 7-10 are slow speed signals. Slow clear and Slow approach would display as Restricting in the cab which is what the Cab Signals display when their is no CSS in place. I believe cabs pick up on N3 and N5.