Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Seating Discussion: Assigned, First-Come, Reserved, Unreserved, Standees

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1515235  by Jeff Smith

Prime candidate for reserved seating: the Acela, especially the upcoming non-stop service. Fixed consist, few (or now, no) stops, very little complexity in seating. That's the real issue here; consists and equipment can vary. Airlines manage it with equipment changes, but they are primarily point-to-point. How can Amtrak manage? The only way I can see it is the use of some type of LED signage showing the train number and car position. I don't think it's rocket surgery; they just need to update their system.
 #1515271  by STrRedWolf

bratkinson wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:59 pm As for having 'pick any seat' vs one that was chosen during ticketing, I'll chose the former. Just today on a Hiawatha to Milwaukee, an obese sweaty man thankfully chose several rows ahead of me to sit. If it was reserved by seat number, I have little doubt I'd be the one squeezed against the window try to get away from the odor.
That itself is hit or miss. I was on a Southwest flight, Austin to Baltimore (on way back from a convention). Got on the plane in A group, got the window seat... then was promptly squished up against it by two fat ladies who should of been forced to buy another ticket. I was surprised that they did not need a crowbar to get them in/out of the seats... or me to get out. I could of used a pressurized air hose, though...
 #1515286  by Greg Moore

gokeefe wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:51 pm Acela already has the ability to take assigned seating. All seats are numbered and lettered.
I believe they finally implemented this for Acela First Class.
https://media.amtrak.com/2018/05/amtrak ... rst-class/
 #1515344  by gokeefe

SouthernRailway wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:37 am Seems like false advertising, and a class action waiting to happen, for Amtrak to sell “reserved” tickets that don’t really mean the passenger gets a seat but could be left standing.
Contract of carriage terms as stated earlier make that an unlikely proposition at best. Airlines routinely oversell flights without similar concerns. Standees are not a desired outcome in any scenario. We can all just continue to hope that the California-Illinois car order will help alleviate the capacity crunch in the East.

The Downeaster is an extraordinary example of this trend with regards to passholders due to its propensity to take heavy loads of unreserved riders in New Hampshire. Everyone is trying to manage the situation as best they can.
 #1515360  by SouthernRailway

On Amtrak.com, when I click to book a ticket, it's for "1 Reserved Coach Seat". The full description from Amtrak.com is below. Nothing indicates that it could be standing room only. If Ma and Pa Kettle, who aren't sophisticated enough to understand the contract of carriage, buy a ticket based on the description below, particularly if they get a jury trial, they're likely to find a sympathetic court in a class action.

Airlines oversell flights, but (1) they always give seats to passengers (there is no standing room only) and (2) if they overbook flights, they offer vouchers or cash payments (via check). People don't always take those vouchers or payments, resulting in involuntary removals, but those are always offered. Amtrak does neither.

Reserved Coach Class Seat
While reserved coach seating is available on our long distance routes and many trains that travel short / medium distance routes, the train cars are different depending on where a train travels, so some of the amenities are different as well. Accessible seating for passengers with mobility impairments is available on all trains.
Short/medium-distance trains offer reserved coach seating featuring wide, comfortable reclining seats with ample legroom for your comfort. You'll find a fold-down tray, individual reading light and 120v electric outlets right at your seat.
Reserved coach seats on single-level Viewliner trains and bi-level Superliner trains that travel on long distance route have all these amenities, but let you stretch out even more, with extra legroom, foot rests, leg rests, and even curtains at your seat.
Famous for the bi-level sleeping cars, the Superliner trains also offer coach seats on both levels. While most passengers ride in the upper level for a panoramic view of the passing scenery, the lower level coach seats provide the convenience of well-appointed restrooms within the car.
Advance reservations (by train, not by individual seat) are required.
 #1515412  by mohawkrailfan

Acela150 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:50 pm
gokeefe wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:51 pm Acela already has the ability to take assigned seating. All seats are numbered and lettered.
As mentioned First Class has assigned seating on Acela. But all cars have seat numbers and letters. Amfleets, Horizons, etc.
The sleepers are also assigned by number in online ticketing.

The LD trains mostly have assigned seats in coach, but it's managed on pen and paper while you're standing on the platform.
 #1515620  by Ken W2KB

SouthernRailway wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:37 am Seems like false advertising, and a class action waiting to happen, for Amtrak to sell “reserved” tickets that don’t really mean the passenger gets a seat but could be left standing.
One of the Amtrak Terms and Conditions is that all such disputes must be individually brought and arbitrated pursuant to the rules of the American Arbitration Association. By accepting the ticket the passenger waives the right to participate in a class action suit.
 #1515953  by SouthernRailway

CHTT1 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:50 pm I think a smart lawyer could get around the fine print on the back of the ticket.
Agreed, especially as the description of what you get for buying an Amtrak reserved ticket is at odds with reality.

You can’t promise a car buyer a 2019 Rolls-Royce, give him a 1987 Yugo and then point to a clause hidden away in the paperwork that says that any disputes will be decided by a seller-paid arbitrator in Juneau, Alaska, either, and count on it to hold up.