Railroad Forums 

• Another try at Acela non-stop service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1515579  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Interesting topic about nonstop NEC express trains since the late 1960s...

I recall an express "Metroliner Service" pair of weekday trains run back in the 1980s:

WAS and NCR to NYP -and- NYP to NCR and WAS.

The Metroliner Service promotion mention was "Two Hours and 59 Civilized Minutes"

Does anyone remember the dates these trains ran and why they were discontinued?

MACTRAXX
 #1515592  by Matt Johnson

N-Rambler wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:31 am Can someone please tell me what the track distance is for the Acela route, between Washington and New York?
226 miles I believe.

2 hrs 59 min was the regular Metroliner running time, and I remember a 2 hr 35 min express Metroliner schedule sometime back in the 1990s. I believe back in the self-propelled Metroliner era there was a 2 hr 29 min scheduled non-stop run.
 #1515596  by west point

Matt Johnson wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:37 pm
N-Rambler wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:31 am Can someone please tell me what the track distance is for the Acela route, between Washington and New York?
226 miles I believe.

2 hrs 59 min was the regular Metroliner running time, and I remember a 2 hr 35 min express Metroliner schedule sometime back in the 1990s. I believe back in the self-propelled Metroliner era there was a 2 hr 29 min scheduled non-stop run.
The timetables for NYP to south LD trains shows 225 miles.
 #1515600  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Johnson, the 226 miles noted in PRR Timetables included the "back in pull out" to Broad Street Station in Philly. The mileage to 30th St was always a mystery. That after 30th opened was not of concern to King Pennsy; likely because The Throne remained at Broad St.
 #1515607  by ExCon90

[/quote]That would be an even smaller time save for Philadelphia, Wilmington or Baltimore. That is why the whining from Philadelphia, Baltimore and Wilmington is misplaced.[/quote]
Good point; when the nonstop Metroliner was introduced I think it replaced an existing one with intermediate stops. Making the nonstop additional to the existing service would not be a cause for complaint.
 #1515616  by Tadman

25 minutes just doesn't seem like enough time saving to make it worthwhile. Given that connections on either end are probably 10-40 minutes by subway or cab, and the possibility for delay on both cab connections and the train itself are well over 25 minutes... seems like you can't plan that trip with less than 25 minute certainty so why bother saving it?

In other words, if I live 30 minutes away from Penn, ride this express, and connect to somewhere 20 minutes from Washington Station by cab, I'm probably going to mentally block out the same amount of time for the commute as I do for the regular Acela.
 #1515621  by gokeefe

Think media and lobbyists who need to be in DC for the day. The Capitol is 3 minutes from Union Station. Unless they're flying by private jet (probably reserved for their bosses) they can't do this trip any faster. If they live in Manhattan the timing is great and an extra 25 minutes is like pure gold to these people (not to mention the opportunity to ride in FirstClass).

I think it's a genius move whose time has finally come. Just look at Amtrak's ridership levels. We are in a totally different place than we were ten years+ ago. Also notable ... The press release almost seems to imply that Amtrak intends to keep the first generation Acelas operational.
 #1515625  by mtuandrew

gokeefe wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:30 pmAlso notable ... The press release almost seems to imply that Amtrak intends to keep the first generation Acelas operational.
How do you figure? The increased speed and frequency will come from the expanded AX-II fleet, and I don’t see why Amtrak wouldn’t buy even more Avelias rather than try to keep the first-gen trains running as a fleet. Also I don’t see the actual press release, only the Points Guy interview - am I missing it here?
 #1515630  by Greg Moore

The only reason I can think they'd keep Acela alive any longer than it takes to replace them with Acela-II is running at 135mph to reduce wear/tear and replacing some of the regional trains, thus freeing up more cars for other routes.

I know Virginia would like to extend even more trains past Union station, so all of the regionals that currently run through would be kept, a few other Amfleet equipped ones would be extended. Since they're extended, they can't turn in DC, which means needing other equipment. So here you fill in with Acela. For now.
 #1515637  by David Benton

Another reason to keep the Acela's is the possibility of an abject failure in the Amfleet 1's. I.e frame cracking found or similar. Given their age abnnd time running at 125 mph.

A non stop train would be more relaxing, and maybe give a feel of some exclusivity, both of which will help with marketing. It can be made more than just the faster time.
 #1515639  by andrewjw

Greg Moore wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:34 pm The only reason I can think they'd keep Acela alive any longer than it takes to replace them with Acela-II is running at 135mph to reduce wear/tear and replacing some of the regional trains, thus freeing up more cars for other routes.

I know Virginia would like to extend even more trains past Union station, so all of the regionals that currently run through would be kept, a few other Amfleet equipped ones would be extended. Since they're extended, they can't turn in DC, which means needing other equipment. So here you fill in with Acela. For now.
Feel free to read the Acela-I disposition thread if you like, there's a lot of talk there about many possible uses for these trains and between the engine reliability issues, car weight, lack of traps for low level platforms (and engineering which prevents the installation of traps - lots of parts where they would go)
this seems unlikely.
 #1515652  by NY&LB

MACTRAXX wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:01 am Everyone: Interesting topic about nonstop NEC express trains since the late 1960s...

I recall an express "Metroliner Service" pair of weekday trains run back in the 1980s:

WAS and NCR to NYP -and- NYP to NCR and WAS.

The Metroliner Service promotion mention was "Two Hours and 59 Civilized Minutes"

Does anyone remember the dates these trains ran and why they were discontinued?

MACTRAXX
READ MY 5th post on this thread which provides the details of the non-stop Metroliner
 #1515655  by Greg Moore

andrewjw wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:12 pm
Greg Moore wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:34 pm The only reason I can think they'd keep Acela alive any longer than it takes to replace them with Acela-II is running at 135mph to reduce wear/tear and replacing some of the regional trains, thus freeing up more cars for other routes.

Feel free to read the Acela-I disposition thread if you like, there's a lot of talk there about many possible uses for these trains and between the engine reliability issues, car weight, lack of traps for low level platforms (and engineering which prevents the installation of traps - lots of parts where they would go)
this seems unlikely.
So you're saying it's unlikely that the Acelas would be used on the route they're currently being used on. Got it.
I agree, it's unlikely they'll use them any longer than they have to, but, if they do, the current route is the only one they can be used on, and would have the benefit of freeing up Amfleets.
 #1515656  by Arlington

Please don't ruin a discussion of nonstop service with an irrelevant rolling stock rehash