Railroad Forums 

• Penn Central Metroliner & NECIP Trackwork

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1513980  by R Paul Carey

I believe your observation relates to the operation of SENH/NHSE in (or about) 1988 when these trains were operated via Danbury, to provide a window for the single-tracking of the Boston Line (B&A), plus two clearance improvement projects to handle multilevels. The operation first required about 12 miles of tie replacement between Beacon and Hopewell Jct. By the mid-1990s, however, the balance of the Maybrook Line, due for extensive work, was earmarked for the Line Sale Program and these trains reverted to the Boston Line via Springfield.

Since about 1969, the SEOP/OPSE was routed via the Hudson Line and Mott Haven until completion of the Oak Point Link, which eliminated the 5 AM crossover operation at Mott Haven, which had been a serious risk against the early morning Metro-North commuter fleet.
 #1514044  by TheOneKEA

What changes, if any, did PC make to the transmission network before Amtrak’s creation? I have read that the catenary voltage was raised from 11kV to 12kV and the transmission voltage from 132kV to 138kV, but I’ve not yet found any specific dates for when this was done and how it was done.
 #1514051  by west point

TheOneKEA wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:15 pm What changes, if any, did PC make to the transmission network before Amtrak’s creation? I have read that the catenary voltage was raised from 11kV to 12kV and the transmission voltage from 132kV to 138kV, but I’ve not yet found any specific dates for when this was done and how it was done.
PRR upped the voltage to 11.5 Kv mid 1940 -50s and Amtrak upped it to 12.0 Kv mid 1980s Note these voltages are nominal value with actual allowable voltages +/ - 10%.