Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak F40s on the Move!

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1512443  by STrRedWolf

I think I have an answer: the short lines.

Trains Magazine has an article in the July 2019 issue, documenting that the GE Dash-8 engines were still in use, but instead on the Class I's, they're now finding second life on the short lines:
Traditionally, older GE units were found only on a handful of shortline rosters, with secondhand EMD locomotives dominating the market. But the Dash 8 line has had more widespread acceptance than its predecessors, with about two dozen short lines operating such locomotives today.
If LTEX can rebuild them, they may be hauling freight. There is some credence to it: MARC 68, the "Odenton Protect", occasionally has to haul a broken-down freight off the NEC. (proof: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9aaAofZ8JvHS9x6N8 )
 #1512447  by R36 Combine Coach

GWoodle wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:05 pmAnybody else running 1961-1968 Pullman Standard built coach or cab cars?
NCDOT, with the former KCS 270 series coaches (1965). Last passenger cars built for a private Class I, along with UP 5528-5542 coaches from early '65 by St. Louis Car. NCDOT now owns the bulk of both of these "last private carrier coaches", with the KCS coaches spending the 70s/80s on NJDOT/NJT on the RVL and Coast Line with the CNJ GP40Ps.
 #1512451  by mtuandrew

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:49 pm I think I have an answer: the short lines.

Trains Magazine has an article in the July 2019 issue, documenting that the GE Dash-8 engines were still in use, but instead on the Class I's, they're now finding second life on the short lines.
I’ve seen chop-nose F40s hauling freight on the San Luis & Rio Grande before, but that doesn’t explain what the P40 is doing at LTEX. Can’t chop the nose off a locomotive that doesn’t have a nose, can’t shorten the body to add front & rear switching platforms when the body is the frame. That one might be there solely as a parts source for other Gennies.
 #1512453  by Backshophoss

LTEX most likely will part out the P-40,the "BUGX" F-40 is scrapyard bound,the rest will join the the loco's on LTEX deasdlines
to be parted out or brought back from the dead.....
 #1512572  by jp1822

Where had the F40s in the newer paint scheme/livery been last assigned (the ones in the silver lining)? Were they protect or extras for on the NEC. Interesting that these units had been retained at Wilmington all these years and not sent to Beech Grove....
 #1512582  by liftedjeep

In looking at pictures of the F40s in the Phase IV schemes prior to being mothballed, they seemed to have been in service all over the U.S.
I could be mistaken, but I don't believe any F40s were ever in a protect roll anywhere along the NEC.
Finally, I believe there were originally seven or eight F40s stored in Bear, DE. #s 405 & 407 were sent to Beech Grove from Bear in the mid to late 2000s.

Ben
 #1512587  by Backshophoss

Believe those 2 units were sent to be made into NPCU's or part supplies at Beech Grove.
Amtrak did lease a bunch of GP-40's as "Boosters",had HEP and Door Comm pass thru trainlines.
Those "Boosters" have moved on to various shortlines, after being returned to the Leasing company.
 #1512690  by planespotting

Thanks, Thirdrail7. How did you see them? Are they visible from the Trenton train station platform or a public road? It's a bit of a hike for me and I want to be sure they are not obscured or require me to go on private property before I decide to head down.
 #1512700  by ThirdRail7

I saw them from a train. They are not visible from the platform as they are on a siding, a few miles from the station.
 #1512875  by liftedjeep

planespotting wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:39 pm Thanks, Thirdrail7. How did you see them? Are they visible from the Trenton train station platform or a public road? It's a bit of a hike for me and I want to be sure they are not obscured or require me to go on private property before I decide to head down.
They are/were located on 5 track, opposite of MILLHAM Tower. You can access them by walking down the dirt road off of Industrial Drive, which itself is off of Whitehead Road in Hamilton Twp.

When I visited last week, there were LTEX guys letting railfans into the small yard to take pictures, as long as they didn't get too close. I'm not certain if the locomotives are currently there, or if they will be as gracious in letting foamers in for pictures.

Ben
 #1513291  by MACTRAXX

W&N: Thanks for the tip - Big Trains TV posted today's move on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyfuuXCY_2I
July 7, 2019 New Format at 14:11 (2:11 PM) - at 6:55 on video.
The Amtrak locomotive move is listed in the consist log at the beginning of the video.
MACTRAXX