• Palace Intrigue?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... les--57749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Fair Use:
Amtrak has named Tracie Winbigler executive vice president and chief financial officer, and Stephen Gardner chief operating and commercial officer.

Winbigler, who will join Amtrak on June 24, will be responsible for Amtrak's finance, treasury, accounting and control functions. Most recently, she was CFO at Recreational Equipment Inc., where she led the financial, procurement, and asset protection teams for the $2.7 billion cooperative. Before that, she spent three years at National Geographic, joining the company as CFO and later promoted to chief operating officer.
loss."....

Gardner will serve in the newly created role of chief operating and commercial officer effective immediately, reporting directly to Anderson. Gardner will be responsible for Amtrak's day-to-day operations; drive delivery of the annual operating plan; and strengthen coordination between functions across the railroad, Amtrak officials said.
What is to be made of this apparent "lateral" of Gardner? That's the guy the advocacy community loves to hate.

What's with bringing in this gal to be EVP - apparently replacing Gardner - "from the street" and with no apparent railroad industry experience? Wonder who she knows?

Oh, the games played at One Mass.
  by bretton88

I don't think it's a game in this case, she seems to have been brought in because she has experience with large procurements, which amtrak is embarking on with all their new equipment coming in and planning to be purchased. Hopefully since she's a former CFO she is also being brought in to address Amtrak'a wonky accounting. In order to make this happen, Gardner moves into a more focused operations position.
  by rcthompson04

bretton88 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:33 pm I don't think it's a game in this case, she seems to have been brought in because she has experience with large procurements, which amtrak is embarking on with all their new equipment coming in and planning to be purchased. Hopefully since she's a former CFO she is also being brought in to address Amtrak'a wonky accounting. In order to make this happen, Gardner moves into a more focused operations position.
This seems like a far more rational structure from a corporate perspective.
  by Tadman

And procurement has been a dumpster fire for Amtrak since the gov't got involved in the Metroliner fiasco in 1968.

Added bonus: Don Phillips wanted Mr. Gardner to be the next president of Amtrak, I'm always glad to see Mr. Phillips be wrong. He's a buffoon. Ten years of "I hate Joe Boardman" and what do you get, Richard Anderson. Now who do you hate, Don? Also don't forget the "I have a secret" article he wrote stating that Penn Central failed because Wright Patman heard the PC brass had naked girls on the corporate Lear Jet and he declined to have the government bail out PC.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.... '

On a side note: The White River Guys have done a heck of a job with some titles they bought in the last few years. Passenger Train Journal, Railfan, and Rail Model Craftsman are now published to a very professional level. Good writing, nice paper, great photos, etc... I wish they wouldn't indulge Mr. Phillips. He found a home there after Trains Mag gave him the boot, long after Washington Post gave him the boot.

Mr. Phillips belongs at www.donsthoughts.com/testserver/notlive/htm
  by Vincent

REI is a well run organization; Amtrak most certainly is not. Maybe Winbigler can bring some of REI's "best practices" to the mess that is Amtrak.
  by Suburban Station

bretton88 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:33 pm I don't think it's a game in this case, she seems to have been brought in because she has experience with large procurements, which amtrak is embarking on with all their new equipment coming in and planning to be purchased. Hopefully since she's a former CFO she is also being brought in to address Amtrak'a wonky accounting. In order to make this happen, Gardner moves into a more focused operations position.
well, I doubt she will bring in railfan accounting so I'm sure some folks will still be upset. over the years Amtrak's accounting has improved but the basic answer on LD vs Short Distance has not. Further improvements will likely yield more of the same. I also don't think it's a game, it makes sense, and doesn't really negate the idea that Gardner will still succeed Anderson since he will now have operations.
  by conductorchris

A shift to operations is a logical move to groom someone for possible advancement to President.
What happened to COO Wick brought in from NS?
Christopher
  by Gilbert B Norman

Apparently "retired".

Moorman only came as an interim CEO. I think he was overwhelmed when he was confronted with the Penn Station fiasco and finally with DuPont.

He was offered a consultancy after stepping down, but I don't think he did all that much consulting.