Railroad Forums 

• ANDERSON: Contract Renewal

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1510548  by rcthompson04

Suburban Station wrote:Amtrak funding has increased, Amtrak now has to invest it wisely and show it is using it well. what anderson appears to be doing is preserving the system by using it for MW equipment to improve the railroad, PTC investments, ADA investments, and equipment replacement. that is a irrational approach given that amtrak can't assume funding will stay robust. he seems to believe congress is more willing to fund asset improvements than operating subsidies and I suspect he's correct.
I would agree. I would go further and say that capital funding is always going to be easier than operational funding. Capital funding leads to things that politicians can be photographed opening or riding out of the factory. That is why it is silly that the passenger rail equipment makers have not shifted production to places fairly hostile to passenger rail, but that love pork spending. Making Amtrak Great Again might involve some well located rolling stock plants.
 #1510549  by mtuandrew

Mr. Thompson: Stadler just opened in Utah, and short of opening a plant in the cotton belt I don’t think you’ll do much better. Talgo tried doing business with both a liberal and a conservative governor in Wisconsin, and we saw where the latter got them.
 #1510550  by R36 Combine Coach

mtuandrew wrote:Stadler just opened in Utah, and short of opening a plant in the cotton belt I don’t think you’ll do much better. Talgo tried doing business with both a liberal and a conservative governor in Wisconsin, and we saw where the latter got them.
Even blue states offer no guarantees. Illinois (the home of the legendary Pullman Company and once the world's leader in passenger car production) saw Nippon Sharyo leave and Pennsylvania (in the once proud hometown of Budd) had Rotem close up shop.

Down to Plattsburgh, Yonkers, Sacramento, Hornell and Elmira now.
 #1510600  by Tadman

Rockingham Racer wrote:Congress has just told Amtrak that long distance, AKA "experiential", trains should not go away. Unless Mr. Anderson is a fool, he will heed that directive.
It's a bunch of bluster. If Congress really cared, they can either pass a funding measure to run the railroad in a state of good repair. If Congress sorta cared, they could pass a law requiring Amtrak to run long distance trains at any cost. Instead, they say words and maybe get on twitter, but do nothing. It's not really important to them.

Look at PTC. They passed that pretty quickly, and never bothered to figure out how to fund it. But they never pass a measure requiring long distance trains, funding or not.