Railroad Forums 

• Why is the ride so rough between NYC and DC?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1510190  by Backshophoss

Believe the Metroliners were AAR "B" Truck due to all the underframe mounted crap they carried,not counting the Resistor Grid move to the Roof.
The "Hollow Axle Tube" nightmare affected a lot of the Equipment on the NEC,The Arrows and M=-2'S took hits and enroute inspections
untill all the Hollow axles were swapped out.
 #1510318  by SouthernRailway

For the posts above that mention the Acela and Amfleet having rough rides on the NYC-DC route:

Viewliners do as well. On the Crescent, even when I lock the door to my room, the door bangs back and forth when traveling between NYC and DC, and the room shakes.

Once I'm on Norfolk Southern rails, it's much smoother. Perhaps some of that is due to speed (since the train is slower on NS rails), but a lot of it must just be the track.
 #1510394  by Literalman

Merely one anecdote, but possibly relevant: On May 26 I rode 88 from Alexandria to Trenton riding in an Amfleet I coach, and the ride seemed smooth enough. On May 29 I rode 97 Trenton to Alex in an Amfleet II coach it the ride was rough. Maybe it's not the car type. Maybe the southbound tracks we used were not in such good shape?
 #1510514  by Suburban Station

It’s also supposed to help with infrastructure but also improve customer experience with ride quality along the Northeast Corridor, according to a release.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/business/b ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
press release
Crews are upgrading 31 miles of track between Washington Union and Baltimore Penn stations, which will enable Amtrak to operate at higher speeds. The enhancements will benefit the full length of the Northeast Corridor and include realigning track and curves and undercutting and installing new rail.
https://media.amtrak.com/2019/06/amtrak ... structure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1510534  by mmi16

Without knowing any facts ----

I suspect that the last time the NEC had a SERIOUS - sub-grade to the top of rail rebuilding - was when the PRR electrified the line in the early 1930's. That is 80 years and all that has happened in the intervening years is mostly window dressing - new ballast, new ties, new rail. A railroad, a sustaining railroad begins at the sub grade - not at the top of the rail.
 #1510578  by STrRedWolf

east point wrote:The announcement made one big misleading statement. That is total trains NYP <> WASH. It should have just mentioned number of trains BAL <> WASH.
On one hand, how many *Amtrak* trains stop and turn at BAL or PHL (30th Street Philadelphia)?

On the other hand, they should of added the MARC trains.
 #1510662  by RRspatch

Suburban Station wrote:
It’s also supposed to help with infrastructure but also improve customer experience with ride quality along the Northeast Corridor, according to a release.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/business/b ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
press release
Crews are upgrading 31 miles of track between Washington Union and Baltimore Penn stations, which will enable Amtrak to operate at higher speeds. The enhancements will benefit the full length of the Northeast Corridor and include realigning track and curves and undercutting and installing new rail.
https://media.amtrak.com/2019/06/amtrak ... structure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From what I've read it looks like they're upgrading No.1 track between Carroll (Hanson) and Grove. I wonder if they're doing anything with the curve at MP 117 on No.1 track. Back in the 80's as part of NECIP tracks 2 and 3 were swung to the west cutting straight through the curve. My somewhat out of date 1996 Amtrak employees timetable shows No.1 track as 80 MPH around that curve. I also see that Amtrak is installing catenary stabilizer arms in the catenary on No.1 track in this area to allow for the higher speeds.