Railroad Forums 

• Need some assistance in lost and found...

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1507173  by scopelliti

Taking an off-topic shot here... hopefully the degrees of connection might work. My brother-in-law left his laptop bag on a train in Buffalo.

He has had zero luck with lost & found... can't seem to get anyone's attention or any response beyond "We'll let you know in 30 days"

Anyone have any contacts or hints to help the search?

Thanks!

Pat
 #1507174  by DutchRailnut

it has their attention what more do you want Santa Clause?
 #1507175  by scopelliti

A little customer service would help. A little apparent effort would help too. My brother-in-law's comments:

"Amtrak customer service has not lifted my spirits. I filled out the lost item form which generates an automatic email to tell me they'll let me know in 30 days if they don't find it. That's not very helpful. I called the 1-800 number, which was also unhelpful. They gave me the number for the local station. I pointed out that I got off the train there and my computer headed on towards Cleveland and Chicago.

I was told calling the station was the best thing to do. They don't answer the phone there. Nor do they have voicemail. This is not helpful.

I tweeted at them earlier. That also yielded no response."
 #1507206  by MACTRAXX

PS - I will first mention that this topic minimum needs to be in the Amtrak Forum section since this
subject has nothing to do with the LIRR.

Do you have the date train #49 left NYP and arrived in CHI the next day?
Is there a assigned reserved seat in a designated car that can help a search for this lost item?

Since your relative got off the train in BUF (Depew) that would be a start to report the loss.
The T&E crew working #49 through BUF goes between Albany-Cleveland. CLE would be just one
place to contact during station hours. Contacting Amtrak station services staff in CHI is another.
They could contact maintenance crews where the train is serviced between runs to watch out
for this item.

Going through the Amtrak website may help but making direct contact by phone is best.
MACTRAXX
 #1507208  by scopelliti

My brother-in-law left his laptop bag on a westbound train in Buffalo.

He has had zero luck with lost & found... can't seem to get anyone's attention or any response beyond "We'll let you know in 30 days"

Anyone have any contacts or hints to help the search?

Thanks!

Pat
 #1507212  by MACTRAXX

PS - I posted in the original topic at the LIRR Forum which should be moved to replace this new one.
At the very least they could be combined since the subject is the same...MACTRAXX
 #1507216  by Railjunkie

Westbound at Buffalo can end up in 3 spots Chicago Niagara Falls or Toronto Canada maybe Niagara Falls Canada if found by Canadian customs. If you know the train number and date of travel it will tell final destination. Try the ticket office directly, Im sure someone on here has a copy of a public timetable or if you have an Amtrak station near by ask an agent..
 #1507228  by MACTRAXX

PS: Good outcome here...Where was the lost item found and turned in?

Please do not forget to thank the Amtrak employee(s) involved if they can be identified.
Commendations are always welcome...MACTRAXX