Railroad Forums 

• Dear Mr. Anderson;

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1506788  by mtuandrew

Yet China and India remain committed to the Paris Climate Accords. Neither country is particularly swimming in oil like the United States is, and that leaves them choosing between coal smog and cleaner energy.

Anyway, that’s only vaguely related to Amtrak off-Corridor ops, which itself is about on par with bus efficiency per passenger - if not worse. I don’t know how the SC-44 (specifically the Amtrak LD version under development) compares to the P42 in terms of efficiency and if it will tip that balance toward passenger rail being the most efficient major mode, only that it compares favorably in emissions to older passenger diesels.

Realistically, Anderson should be trying to get more butts in seats and more cars on trains system-wide, not reduce capacity or chop trains that One Mass sees as underperforming. And, he should be working to beef up the Thruway network, with cross-platform transfers wherever possible. Those putative Hays passengers aren’t gonna ride any trains if they don’t have a convenient way to get to a train. Finally, I want Amtrak to be able to arrange one-seat Greyhound (Trailways, etc) booking through its site - the business and money still goes to the private partner, but it gets those seamless connections that Amtrak passengers just don’t usually have.
 #1506819  by Amtrak706

I just don’t see the need to justify LD trains. Despite a steady decline in amenities, resistance to weather, routes, cleanliness, and on time performance at the same time as a steady increase in price, ridership somehow always increases. I have a hard time believing more people would really benefit from the money currently being spent on LD service instead going to some tiny highway project. Despite LD trains having been considered “obsolete” for decades, they refuse to collapse of their own accord. They have found a niche that actually benefits some people and that is rare for government spending, so I say leave it alone until they cause a problem. Change for the sake of change only serves to destroy.