Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak v. NS - Twitterwar

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1503897  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Byte, "back in my day - the days of Butkus, Grabowski, and the Rose Bowl - down at "The big U", "streetcaring" was the only way the IC boarded passengers - especially on those trains heavily used by students. This to which a frat brother once said to me "this looks like something from Dr. Zhivago."

Of course back then, on the double tracked line and when IC Engineers "did what they had to do" to hold schedule, or make a good try at it, the effect was not as noticeable as apparently it is today.
 #1503965  by mtuandrew

east point wrote:Maybe NS is worried that congress will notice? Enough railfans noting that to congress can have wonders of congressional action?
In a Congressional battle between NS and railfans over Amtrak tweets, I don’t think NS has much to fear. Certainly not in the Senate anyway.
 #1504039  by DogBert

This is 100% normal on Twitter. NJT blamed Dunkin Doughnuts for not opening one of their stations on time yesterday. The NYC Subways will blame literally anyone they can for delays (Con Ed, a mom holding the doors to get a stroller on board, etc).

I really hope NS tries to take Amtrak to court (or whatever) over this. They'll just bring far more bad press on themselves if they do, and it's doubtful they'd win anything.
 #1504046  by mtuandrew

DogBert wrote:This is 100% normal on Twitter. NJT blamed Dunkin Doughnuts for not opening one of their stations on time yesterday. The NYC Subways will blame literally anyone they can for delays (Con Ed, a mom holding the doors to get a stroller on board, etc).

I really hope NS tries to take Amtrak to court (or whatever) over this. They'll just bring far more bad press on themselves if they do, and it's doubtful they'd win anything.
The NJT-Dunkin incident is really something, and I encourage you to all read about it :-D https://twitter.com/njtransit/status/11 ... 5693124608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If NS tries to go to court it will be with the full backing of the AAR to remove portions of the PRIIA that interfere with freight operations. It won’t be for simple slander.
 #1504050  by ryanov

People want this stuff. "Privatize everything, get rid of those wasteful jobs!" Then it doesn't work out and people complain.
 #1504113  by Mackensen

mtuandrew wrote:
DogBert wrote:This is 100% normal on Twitter. NJT blamed Dunkin Doughnuts for not opening one of their stations on time yesterday. The NYC Subways will blame literally anyone they can for delays (Con Ed, a mom holding the doors to get a stroller on board, etc).

The NJT-Dunkin incident is really something, and I encourage you to all read about it :-D https://twitter.com/njtransit/status/11 ... 5693124608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If NS tries to go to court it will be with the full backing of the AAR to remove portions of the PRIIA that interfere with freight operations. It won’t be for simple slander.
And if I were NS I don't know that I'd want anyone looking too closely at the dispatching outcomes for Chicago-Porter. I've lost count of how many delays I encountered there and none of them could be blamed on Amtrak equipment failures.
 #1504427  by east point

Well NS got named again today.
Amtrak Alerts

Verified account

@AmtrakAlerts
3h
3 hours ago

More
Crescent Train 19 that departed New York (NYP) on 3/27 is currently stopped south of Atlanta (ATL) due to a disabled Norfolk Southern freight train blocking the tracks ahead. We will update as more information becomes available.
 #1504578  by jlichyen

ohioriverrailway wrote:Why not name all the offending railroads, not just NS?
In the PDF posted above by bostontrainguy, Amtrak states that, "among the six Class I freight host railroads, Norfolk Southern is ranked last in performance – and
in 2018 was responsible for 30% more delays than even the next-to-last host railroad."
 #1504599  by John_Perkowski

DogBert wrote:This is 100% normal on Twitter. NJT blamed Dunkin Doughnuts for not opening one of their stations on time yesterday.
They should count themselves happy it wasn’t a Wendy’s. NJT would have been eviscerated.
 #1504619  by mtuandrew

John_Perkowski wrote:
DogBert wrote:This is 100% normal on Twitter. NJT blamed Dunkin Doughnuts for not opening one of their stations on time yesterday.
They should count themselves happy it wasn’t a Wendy’s. NJT would have been eviscerated.
Only if their ice cream machine didn’t work.