• 66 Food service on the corridor early AM

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by train2

On train 66 northbound on the corridor what food service is offered? Train comes from Norfolk so I know its has a cafe car. Since this train operates overnight on the NEC what would be the latest time the cafe would be open? And more importantly would the cafe open in the early AM before arrival in Boston? I am guessing it is not open overnight on the NEC?

And in an related question I take it all Keystone trains have NO food service even out of NY?
  by ryanov

No cafe car at all on Keystone trains.

I was in business class from WAS to NWK not that long ago on 66, and I went several times to get drinks from the cafe car before I got off the train, so I'd guess at least 11:00p if not later.
  by Acela150

train2 wrote:On train 66 northbound on the corridor what food service is offered? Train comes from Norfolk so I know its has a cafe car. Since this train operates overnight on the NEC what would be the latest time the cafe would be open? And more importantly would the cafe open in the early AM before arrival in Boston? I am guessing it is not open overnight on the NEC?

And in an related question I take it all Keystone trains have NO food service even out of NY?
66 actually comes from Newport News. I have ridden 66 several times to Boston from Philly. The cafe is open all night except during the stop in NYP. The cafe closes upon arrival of Providence.

Keystone trains don't offer a cafe. The train is funded by the State of Pennsylvania from Philadelphia to Harrisburg and it's a short 2 hour ride between the two. Most passengers are going between NYP-PHL or PHL-LNC or HAR. The ride from PHL to LNC is about an hour. However the Pennsylvanian does offer a cafe simply cause it continues to Pittsburgh.
  by STrRedWolf

Acela150 wrote: Keystone trains don't offer a cafe. The train is funded by the State of Pennsylvania from Philadelphia to Harrisburg and it's a short 2 hour ride between the two. Most passengers are going between NYP-PHL or PHL-LNC or HAR. The ride from PHL to LNC is about an hour. However the Pennsylvanian does offer a cafe simply cause it continues to Pittsburgh.
The cafe car on the Pennsy closes around HAR to let the attendant have a break and eat. It reopens about an hour later.
  by Tadman

For what it's worth, the food options in and near major terminals are so much better than cafe cars, I'd take advantage of that during motor change at DC or NYP layover if possible. The only reason I hit the cafe on a corridor train ride is to break up the ride and have a beer or snack.
  by STrRedWolf

Tadman wrote:For what it's worth, the food options in and near major terminals are so much better than cafe cars, I'd take advantage of that during motor change at DC or NYP layover if possible. The only reason I hit the cafe on a corridor train ride is to break up the ride and have a beer or snack.
Agreed. A breakfast sandwich and coffee on the Pennsy going back from Pittsburgh isn't bad. It's no pancakes and bacon, sausage, eggs, etc but then this isn't an overnight train.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Acela150 wrote:
train2 wrote:On train 66 northbound on the corridor what food service is offered? Since this train operates overnight on the NEC what would be the latest time the cafe would be open? And more importantly would the cafe open in the early AM before arrival in Boston? I am guessing it is not open overnight on the NEC?
The cafe is open all night except during the stop in NYP.
Is the cafe restocked and serviced in New York?
  by Acela150

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Acela150 wrote:
train2 wrote:On train 66 northbound on the corridor what food service is offered? Since this train operates overnight on the NEC what would be the latest time the cafe would be open? And more importantly would the cafe open in the early AM before arrival in Boston? I am guessing it is not open overnight on the NEC?
That I don't know about. I think it depends by trip.
  by gaspeamtrak

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Acela150 wrote:
What about Washington? Would they restock it there???
  by Acela150

gaspeamtrak wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Acela150 wrote:
What about Washington? Would they restock it there???
I couldn't even guess as I rarely board a train in DC.
  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Getting back to the original poster's questions. Yes, the Café is open all night except for closing during the power swap in WAS & during the dwell in NYP as Acela150 stated. As much as I agree with Tadman regarding eating in the terminals, that's really not an option while traveling on 66. In Washington your only options are McDonalds & Au Bon Pain. In NYP, your only options are again Au Bon Pain, McDonalds in the LIRR area or Rose's Pizza which closes by 2am weekdays. Upstairs Don Pepe and Espresso Café are both open around the clock. Regarding the Café being restocked in WAS, very rarely does it happen. No restocking for the most part in NYP. The Café closes between Providence & Rte.128. Keep in mind there may be a decent line after PVD due to the heavy daily commuter travel if you're traveling weekdays.
  by ryanov

Thunder Grill in WAS is open till 10:00p. That's my go-to when needing food before 66. It's not incredible food, but beats the on board stuff.