Railroad Forums 

• Which Boston station for Thruway bus?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1498296  by CPSK

Hi;
I am beginning to plan a trip from NYP to Bangor Maine. It appears by looking at schedules that transferring to an Amtrak Thruway bus at Boston is the fastest route. 10 hrs compared to 12 if I take Downeaster to Portland, then a bus to Bangor.
I am trying to figure out which Boston station (Back Bay or South) the Thruway buses depart from, since most Amtrak trains stop at both.

Thanks
CP
 #1498302  by hi55us

CPSK wrote:Hi;
I am beginning to plan a trip from NYP to Bangor Maine. It appears by looking at schedules that transferring to an Amtrak Thruway bus at Boston is the fastest route. 10 hrs compared to 12 if I take Downeaster to Portland, then a bus to Bangor.
I am trying to figure out which Boston station (Back Bay or South) the Thruway buses depart from, since most Amtrak trains stop at both.

Thanks
CP
The bus terminal in Boston is above South Station. You will find it's an easier transfer going Northeast Regional (say NY-Boston) -> Concord Thruways to Bangor than Northeast Regional -> Amtrak Downeaster -> Concord Thruways to Bangor. The only downside of doing the bus right out of Boston is the bad traffic and a really long bus ride all the way to Bangor.
 #1498309  by CPSK

hi55us wrote: The bus terminal in Boston is above South Station. You will find it's an easier transfer going Northeast Regional (say NY-Boston) -> Concord Thruways to Bangor than Northeast Regional -> Amtrak Downeaster -> Concord Thruways to Bangor. The only downside of doing the bus right out of Boston is the bad traffic and a really long bus ride all the way to Bangor.
Thanks for the info. I've been to Boston before, but I think I was only at Back Bay.
According to Amtrak sked, the bus from Boston to Bangor is 2hrs shorter than the Downeaster to Portland and bus to Bangor. I will be arriving in Boston around lunch time, and the bus is at 2PM, so hopefully the traffic out of the city won't be so terrible.
Maybe the DownEaster to Portland would be a more scenic and pleasant ride though. I'm not in a hurry, but I will need to catch another bus in Bangor to get me to Medway, where I will eventually get a hiker shuttle to take me to Katahdin Stream campground. I am planning to start at least a section hike SOBO on the A.T. from Katahdin. Interestingly, the Amtrak Thruway bus from Boston arrives in Bangor at 18:30, and the bus from there to Medway departs at exactly the same time. I have no idea whether or not the CYR bus to Medway waits for the Amtrak bus or not. If I miss that one, I have to spend the night and the entire next day in Bangor, or take Uber or Lyft.
Maybe between now and then I will meet up with some other hikers, and get a ride from Bangor, or maybe all the way from Boston?? Never know. Late June to mid July is prime-time for starting a SOBO thru-hike on the A.T.
 #1498310  by CPSK

Update:
Uh, I just checked CheapOair.com and found a United flight from Newark Liberty to Bangor for $166!!
Flight time is about 1-1/2 hours. I think it's a no-brainer. As much as I like trains, does it make sense to spend 10 or 12 hours in travel when I can get there in 1-1/2 hours?

Edit: That fare is "basic economy", which will probably not allow my large backpack as a carry-on, and I don't know what the charge is for checked, if it's even available on that flight...
 #1498403  by andrewjw

A is allowed in basic economy so long as it fits in front of you (just no overhead or checked luggage). Adding a checked bag is $30 each way or upgrading to economy for the carry-on suitcase instead is $30 each way.
 #1498670  by ryanov

Most Amtrak trains do NOT stop at both North and South stations. All Amtrak trains stop at one or the other ONLY.
 #1498685  by Rockingham Racer

andrewjw wrote:A is allowed in basic economy so long as it fits in front of you (just no overhead or checked luggage). Adding a checked bag is $30 each way or upgrading to economy for the carry-on suitcase instead is $30 each way.
Not true for American Airlines anymore. Basic economy passengers may place one bag in the overhead bin.
 #1498749  by ExCon90

ryanov wrote:Most Amtrak trains do NOT stop at both North and South stations. All Amtrak trains stop at one or the other ONLY.
The way I read the OP is that he was talking about South Station and Back Bay.
 #1498782  by andrewjw

Rockingham Racer wrote:
andrewjw wrote:A is allowed in basic economy so long as it fits in front of you (just no overhead or checked luggage). Adding a checked bag is $30 each way or upgrading to economy for the carry-on suitcase instead is $30 each way.
Not true for American Airlines anymore. Basic economy passengers may place one bag in the overhead bin.
CPSK explicitly said he was using United (the only airline which has not relented and allowed basic economy passengers to have overhead access).
 #1499807  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

CPSK wrote:Update:
Uh, I just checked CheapOair.com and found a United flight from Newark Liberty to Bangor for $166!!
Flight time is about 1-1/2 hours. I think it's a no-brainer. As much as I like trains, does it make sense to spend 10 or 12 hours in travel when I can get there in 1-1/2 hours?

Edit: That fare is "basic economy", which will probably not allow my large backpack as a carry-on, and I don't know what the charge is for checked, if it's even available on that flight...
I got that fare for $49 last month. Lol