Railroad Forums 

• New Amtrak route through Sacramento CA?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1495433  by lpetrich

Grant will allow for new Amtrak stop in Midtown Sacramento
One at 19th and Q in addition to the one at 4th and I. The track there is not currently used by the San Joaquins, and that station is a block north of the light-rail overpass, an overpass halfway between 16th and 23th St. stations.

Amtrak Station Planned For Midtown « CBS Sacramento has a list of possible stations. From that one and the video in the previous link, I find, from north to south:
  • Natomas / Sac Airport
  • North Sac
  • Midtown Sac
  • Sac City College
  • Elk Grove
  • Lodi
I checked on OpenRailwayMap, and this proposed station is on the western of the two Sac - Stockton lines. City College is also on the west one, but Elk Grove and Lodi are on the east one, the one that the San Joaquins currently use.

Looking northward, there is one active line, and while a North Sacramento station is possible, a Natomas or Airport one is not -- too far away. However, the airport is at a proposed extension of the Sac light-rail system.

I've also seen mention of the Altamont Commuter Express going out to this proposed station, meaning that it would be extended northward from Stockton.
 #1499957  by tomj

I personally don't understand why they would abandon the Fresno subdivision for the Sacramento subdivision. Given that the Fresno skips Galt and Lodi. Not to mention running the trains north to Natomas will avoid Sacramento Valley Station all together. As for getting to the airport, there is a line that runs from West Sac north along the river. You'd have to build a bridge and go under a highway, but it could be done. I do think this news story is going to be a lot of hype and under delivery. Also not having a lot of options for departure times is also an issue. I am assuming its going to be 9 trips including ACE not just Amtrak.
 #1500052  by tomj

benboston wrote:Is this related to the California HSR?
Its not. There have been calls for service improvement along Amtrak "California" for the better part of a decade.