Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1532309  by Tadman

How would the IG report be a primary source for Wapo when the IG had to use their own primary sources to create the report? Unless the IG report is primarily written by those directly responsible for turning wrenches or managing the production, which by definition an inspector general is not, it’s a secondary report.

Let’s look to Wikipedia:
“ In journalism, a primary source can be a person with direct knowledge of a situation, or a document written by such a person.

Primary sources are distinguished from secondary sources, which cite, comment on, or build upon primary sources”.

Primary sources in the production of capital equipment would be timecards, work orders, testimony of mechanical engineers, machinists, or foreman, perhaps records of raw material delivery, diaries or emails of the above persons, reports written to managers, observations of managers on site.

The IG report takes these records and testimonies and provides commentary and analysis. It is by nature secondary.

Mr. Harris’s letter responding to the IG could be construed as primary as he is in-house and might have direct knowledge, but his title of executive vice president and chief marketing and revenue officer indicates his primary responsibility might not include day-to-day management of Avelia builds. This is left ambiguous by Wapo.
 #1532312  by danib62

If you click on the source from that Wikipedia article you’d learn (emphasis added):
http://infoguides.pepperdine.edu/c.php?g=287355&p=1915752 wrote: A primary source is "first-hand" information, sources as close as possible to the origin of the information or idea under study. Primary sources are contrasted with secondary sources, works that provide analysis, commentary, or criticism on the primary source. In literary studies, primary sources are often creative works, including poems, stories, novels, and so on. In historical studies, primary sources include written works, recordings, or other source of information from people who were participants or direct witnesses to the events in question. Examples of commonly used primary sources include government documents, memoirs, personal correspondence, oral histories, and contemporary newspaper accounts.
So basically the IG report and some letters between Schumer and the FRA.
 #1532319  by Tadman

None of those are “ sources as close as possible to the origin of the information or idea under study”. The report only provides commentary on the sources as close as possible to the origin of the information or idea, which would be the documents and people I listed in my last post. It makes the IG report and letters as secondary source.

Why do you persist in defending awful reporting? Don’t you want to know what’s really going on?
 #1533150  by mtuandrew

Now that I see the slab-side power car versus the wide-waist passenger cars, it bothers me so much. It would take almost no effort to put a couple fiberglass fairings on the side of the power car, right?
 #1533159  by bostontrainguy

mtuandrew wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:20 am Now that I see the slab-side power car versus the wide-waist passenger cars, it bothers me so much. It would take almost no effort to put a couple fiberglass fairings on the side of the power car, right?
Agree but painting a blue stripe on the powercar will help immensely.
 #1533197  by Matt Johnson

MattW wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:40 pm It seems like any fairing would be a simple bolt-on item. Is it still possible they'll get one?
I'm curious to see that. I suspect they may because of (a) the large space between power car and first coach which seems like it was designed to fit some sort of fairing and (b) the Alstom CAD rendering which showed such a fairing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw8bQsoLEB0
 #1533336  by ThirdRail7

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:05 am Hafta admit, I'd be down at trackside if I knew when this is to occur:

https://www.railjournal.com/fleet/first ... tion-line/
If things hold, it will begin its journey early next week. The final rider equipment made its way to the plant today.
 #1533339  by mcgrath618

ThirdRail7 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:20 pm
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:05 am Hafta admit, I'd be down at trackside if I knew when this is to occur:

https://www.railjournal.com/fleet/first ... tion-line/
If things hold, it will begin its journey early next week. The final rider equipment made its way to the plant today.
I know it's a bit premature, but what route will it take?

Will it be brought down the NEC?