Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Tadman, mtuandrew

frequentflyer
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:28 am

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by frequentflyer »

And still no pics?

Railjunkie
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:24 am

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by Railjunkie »

A few things fresh from the rumorama, first there not due to start testing until March.and here is the biggie, they dont play nice with standard equipment. The nose of the Avelia would be in the vestibule of the view liner if one was able to make the hook. Havent seen anything through Albany nor heard of any special moves coming up.

User avatar
Matt Johnson
Posts: 4255
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:57 pm
Location: Hazlet, NJ

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by Matt Johnson »


mcgrath618
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:11 pm

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by mcgrath618 »

Railjunkie wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:21 am
A few things fresh from the rumorama, first there not due to start testing until March.and here is the biggie, they dont play nice with standard equipment. The nose of the Avelia would be in the vestibule of the view liner if one was able to make the hook. Havent seen anything through Albany nor heard of any special moves coming up.
Looks like this was totally unfounded, considering the video that was just posted.

frequentflyer
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:28 am

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by frequentflyer »

Thank you, don't get the livery design, not feeling, though I am sure we will get use to it. The livery looks very European to me (Yes, I know, a European designed train)

east point
Posts: 1405
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:50 pm

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by east point »

The paint job on the Acela-2s appears very similar to some SLs on the So Cal Amtrak trains ?

Railjunkie
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:24 am

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by Railjunkie »

mcgrath618 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:44 pm
Railjunkie wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:21 am
A few things fresh from the rumorama, first there not due to start testing until March.and here is the biggie, they dont play nice with standard equipment. The nose of the Avelia would be in the vestibule of the view liner if one was able to make the hook. Havent seen anything through Albany nor heard of any special moves coming up.
Looks like this was totally unfounded, considering the video that was just posted.
Ahh yes it could be lets look at the video, the switcher that is on the tail end has no vestibule just a knuckle. A viewliner or coach knuckle sits partially under the vestibule hence the nose may not be able to make a proper hook. No rescue or tow with cars between it and the engine. Plus the video shows a slow speed test at the plant nothing else. We will see what happens when the time comes to move it. Like I said previously havent heard of any special move to Hornell to pick this up. Ill check tonight when I get to work.

mcgrath618
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:11 pm

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by mcgrath618 »

frequentflyer wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:06 pm
Thank you, don't get the livery design, not feeling, though I am sure we will get use to it. The livery looks very European to me (Yes, I know, a European designed train)
My biggest issue is that the carbody of the power car DOESN'T match up with the geometry of the carbodies of the passenger cars.

John_Perkowski
Posts: 4939
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:12 pm
Location: Off the Q main near Parkville MO

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by John_Perkowski »

~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Jeff Smith & Greg Primrose now own railroad.net!

ExCon90
Posts: 4610
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by ExCon90 »

mcgrath618 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:39 am
My biggest issue is that the carbody of the power car DOESN'T match up with the geometry of the carbodies of the passenger cars.
Doesn't it seem that that might raise some air-resistance (as well as aesthetic) issues?

mcgrath618
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:11 pm

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by mcgrath618 »

ExCon90 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:17 pm
mcgrath618 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:39 am
My biggest issue is that the carbody of the power car DOESN'T match up with the geometry of the carbodies of the passenger cars.
Doesn't it seem that that might raise some air-resistance (as well as aesthetic) issues?
Oh absolutely. If that's truly the final product, that is an abhorrent oversight.

User avatar
Matt Johnson
Posts: 4255
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:57 pm
Location: Hazlet, NJ

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by Matt Johnson »

mcgrath618 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:45 pm
ExCon90 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:17 pm
mcgrath618 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:39 am
My biggest issue is that the carbody of the power car DOESN'T match up with the geometry of the carbodies of the passenger cars.
Doesn't it seem that that might raise some air-resistance (as well as aesthetic) issues?
Oh absolutely. If that's truly the final product, that is an abhorrent oversight.
I'm curious to see if the cladding depicted in the CAD rendering gets added or not. It's notably absent from the scale model.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

frequentflyer
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:28 am

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by frequentflyer »

mcgrath618 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:45 pm
ExCon90 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:17 pm
mcgrath618 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:39 am
My biggest issue is that the carbody of the power car DOESN'T match up with the geometry of the carbodies of the passenger cars.
Doesn't it seem that that might raise some air-resistance (as well as aesthetic) issues?
Oh absolutely. If that's truly the final product, that is an abhorrent oversight.
Not an oversight, just smart planning. Its a tried and true TGV power cars with Pendolino tilt cars. Its a MUTT, but a mutt that works. Does the power car look familiar?

https://www.alstom.com/press-releases-n ... eed-trains

DutchRailnut
Posts: 22367
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: released from Stalag 13

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by DutchRailnut »

at least Italian Avelia the power car (with passenger seating) has same profile .

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 75_R01.jpg
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

superstar
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by superstar »

Blunt nosed locomotives and EMUs run 100+ mph every day, a few inches of difference between the carbodies on the Avelia is not going to have any impact on performance vis-a-vis air resistance.

Return to “Amtrak”