Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

WhartonAndNorthern

Re: Acela II (Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

Post by WhartonAndNorthern » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:17 am

mtuandrew wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:51 pm
If Amtrak does have to add an additional Assistant Conductor to the Avelias (AX-IIs?), they ought to negotiate a smaller OBS crew for the reasons Arlington mentioned. Ideally, one or both of the ACs would provide some sort of customer service beyond their train-handling duties, even just “pinch hitter at the snack bar while the OBS crew takes a bathroom break.”

That said, Amtrak has a strong case that it doesn’t need an extra person due to the consist being permanently coupled and more accessible than the AX-I. It’ll be an interesting thing to see when they roll out an operational plan, because Amtrak hadn’t said anything about needing extra crew.
Different unions, different contracts. Then again, they could play the old railroad game of it's only a car if it has couplers. Railroad bills by the carload? No problem: we build a super car. Railroads still consider an intermodal 5-pack as one car for reporting car counts.

SRich

Post by SRich » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:33 pm

Are there already new pictures of the new train?
Greatings from the Netherlands

Acela150

Post by Acela150 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:23 am

The monthly NGEC report for August states that 2 passenger cars are complete, minor delays have occurred but delivery of the first trainset to TTCI is STILL on track for January.

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:19 pm

There are under construction pic in Trains a few months back,also in PTJ current issue(2019-3).
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Post by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:33 pm

SRich wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:33 pm
Unofficial photos, no. However, like anything else, there ARE some pics already out there. I must say, the front of the powercars look sharp and I like them better than the original Acela.

Acela150

Post by Acela150 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:49 pm

AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:33 pm
SRich wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:33 pm
Unofficial photos, no. However, like anything else, there ARE some pics already out there. I must say, the front of the powercars look sharp and I like them better than the original Acela.
I'll take a guess that sometime soon some unofficial photos will show up shortly. With delivery of the first trainset to TTCI on track for January it makes to much sense.

Rockingham Racer

Post by Rockingham Racer » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:00 am

There have already been a few photos on Facebook.

Acela150

Post by Acela150 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:10 pm

Extremely encouraging news from the monthly NGEC report. A single power car has been tested under its own power at Alstom. Delivery of TS 1 on target for January to TTCI.

ssresident

Post by ssresident » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:02 pm

In the newspaper this afternoon:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/ ... story.html

Amtrak releases photo of first prototype of new Acela trains
By Alyssa Lukpat, Globe Correspondent, November 14, 2019

Amtrak released a photo Thursday of the first prototype of the new Acela Express train fleets set to go into service in 2021.
The image shows an Acela train...

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:20 pm

The drip drip PR on this is being done very well. They're getting free media over and over again.
gokeefe

Matt Johnson

Post by Matt Johnson » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:35 pm

If this turns out to be the biggest thing to gripe about, then we're in great shape but does anyone else find the interior color scheme on the new Acela to be too bright and old school commuter train looking? I tend to prefer the more subdued tones in the current Acela interior.

Greg Moore

Post by Greg Moore » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:57 pm

That's my take too. Looks far to sterile and not very cozy.

But you know what, if that's my biggest complaint, I'll still look forward to riding them.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:57 pm

Hard to tell with the lighting. Remember those photos are being taken with the trainset indoors. Outside it will probably light differently. This is something the designers almost certainly accounted for.
gokeefe

Matt Johnson

Post by Matt Johnson » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:53 pm

I dunno, orange and purple is a tough color combination to get used to outside of a nursery school or kindergarten classroom! :) I hope the lighting is at least less obnoxious at night than the fluorescent lighting on a typical commuter coach.

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:33 pm

Another article: https://www.railwaygazette.com/high-spe ... 82.article
USA: The first of 28 Avelia Liberty trainsets being assembled by Alstom to operate Amtrak’s Acela Express services has been outshopped at the manufacturer’s Hornell plant, ahead of the start of test running.

Ordered in 2016 as part of a $2·45bn package of improvements for the Northeast Corridor, the trains are expected to enter service in 2021 on the 735 km route linking Washington DC, New York and Boston. The first trainset is expected to be tested at FRA’s Transportation Technology Center in Pueblo before trial running on the NEC next year.

Formed of two short-wheelbase power cars and nine articulated trailer vehicles, the Avelia Liberty trainsets will be fitted with Alstom’s Tiltronix anticipatory tilting technology, and a crash energy management system. This will support a maximum design speed of 300 km/h, although they will initially be limited to 255 km/h when operating on the existing NEC infrastructure.

Each trainset will have seats for 386 passengers, an increase of almost 30% on the current Acela Express trainsets that are due to be withdrawn by the end of 2022. Onboard enhancements include the provision of passenger wi-fi, at-seat charging points and an integrated passenger information system, as well as an advanced seat reservation system and accessible toilets.
Next stop, Willoughby
~el Jefe ("Jeff Smith Rules") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

Return to “Amtrak”