Railroad Forums 

• PHL - So Long Solari

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1493642  by Backshophoss

Solari is still in business, depends on the cost of replacement parts and import fees that get tacked on!
(Along with customs delays during the possible US gov shutdown. :( )
 #1493656  by Tadman

I know the Solari board is a romantic link with the past and very cool to watch, but I look at it this way: despite all the politics and obstacles, Amtrak is defying the odds and growing. They may have an operating profit some day. If upgrading to digital boards win advertising helps that effort and keeps the network running and thriving, why are we complaining?

It goes back to my “we can’t run this like 1952 and expect to see success” theory. But that doesn’t mean we don’t need passenger trains, it just means we need 2018 passenger trains and stations.
 #1493670  by east point

Tadman wrote: Amtrak is defying the odds and growing. .
That may be your opinion however our group feels that Amtrak is just treading water. 2017 & 2018 figures show just a very small growth in revenue probably from changing how fares are charged.
 #1493678  by east point

Why is it that there are no destination displays on each Amtrak car at the door. Many European trains do that and it saved me more than once there ! That is very important in Europe when parts of train are split somewhere . NEC needs that + those such as LSL, Builder, and Sunset out of LAX.. Your PHL example could have cars saying NYP or WASH or Harrisburg / Florida/ Atlanta / Richmond ETC.. NYP could have Albany, Boston / New Haven / Springfield, Or Phl/ Harrisburg / WASH,Wash could have many different ones Signs rotate every 2 - 4 seconds to other destinations.
 #1493713  by Tadman

east point wrote:
Tadman wrote: Amtrak is defying the odds and growing. .
That may be your opinion however our group feels that Amtrak is just treading water. 2017 & 2018 figures show just a very small growth in revenue probably from changing how fares are charged.
Right, but big picture, they are on fire compared to the 1990’s or early 2000’s. Back then, it was treated as a necessary evil that would probably wither up and disappear sooner or later. Today, despite seriously aging rolling stock, there is a clear mandate to run lots of trains. Why get distracted from that? Now it’s time to run hard and fast rather than being a Solari museum. Do whatever is necessary to generate revenue and make boarding easy.
 #1493716  by east point

Amtrak is just going to tread water as it has missed out with new equipment. VIA is ordering many train sets that probably soak p all manufacturing positions for new cars and Chargers.
 #1493734  by JeffK

Tadman wrote:Back in [the 1990’s or early 2000’s] it was treated as a necessary evil that would probably wither up and disappear sooner or later.
That was the stance of the Nixon Administration when Amtrak was created almost 50 years ago. Anti-rail ideologues agreed to support its enabling legislation only if it included a number of poison-pill clauses, most significantly the profitability mandate. Their plan was to give Amtrak just enough support to limp along for a decade or so until Nixon was out of office, then go belly-up under a different (and presumably Democratic) presidency.
 #1493738  by electricron

east point wrote:Amtrak is just going to tread water as it has missed out with new equipment. VIA is ordering many train sets that probably soak p all manufacturing positions for new cars and Chargers.
Maybe, maybe not? VIA's new train sets delivery dates begin in 2021, entering service in 2022. When did Amtrak plan to replace its Amfleets? Wasn't it later than 2022? Amtrak isn't going to submit its RFP until 2019. The new Acela 2 train sets should enter service in 2021, so I don't expect Amfleet replacements for the NEC will enter service earlier.
So, Amtrak will be set for new Siemens units off the production line after VIA, which will get their new Siemens units after California and Midwest orders for Amtrak. This VIA order allows Amtrak to kick that can down the road a little more.

And that's assuming Amtrak decides to use locomotives with individual cars instead of using new European collision standard multiple units....
 #1493772  by Bramdeisroberts

That, or there's nothing saying that it has to be Siemens in the 1st place. If I were Bombardier I'd be dedicating a small team to adapting the Acela trailer carshell into an Amfleet replacement and a possible D/EMU design. Just like how the Metroliner evolved into the Amfleet, BBD already has an FRA-compliant single-level carshell design that would make a killer base for a new Amfleet or multiple unit design.

Back to the Solari boards, though. I'm surprised that Philly's is so small. The old one at South Station was gigantic by comparison.
 #1493803  by CRail

South Station’s Amtrak board was exactly the same.
 #1493806  by Nasadowsk

Bramdeisroberts wrote: If I were Bombardier I'd be dedicating a small team to adapting the Acela trailer carshell into an Amfleet replacement and a possible D/EMU design. .
Why would anyone want to take an obsolete, overweight design and repurpose it into an MU? Especially when the target customer is one that's sworn to never buy your product again? BBD doesn't have mo money, they've got no money right now...

As for the Solari board - can it be repaired and maintained for less than a new board? Solari has supposedly said parts and support are still available. Unless Amtrak's missing some flexibility, but I suspect this is a case of toy envy or someone's thinking advertising space...
 #1493834  by mtuandrew

Nasadowsk wrote:As for the Solari board - can it be repaired and maintained for less than a new board? Solari has supposedly said parts and support are still available. Unless Amtrak's missing some flexibility, but I suspect this is a case of toy envy or someone's thinking advertising space...
Between Amtrak and Solari, they could definitely keep it running. Designing a control system that seamlessly connects with ARROW would be harder, but if a hobbyist could do it, so could those companies. viewtopic.php?f=136&t=163479" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1493835  by DutchRailnut

There is no longer part,