Railroad Forums 

• Horizon Coaches on 69?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1451305  by Engineer Spike

This past weekend, I was working a yard job in Saratoga. As I was working, 69, the Adirondack went north. The consist had two Horizon coaches. The last place that I have seen any was when working on BN in Illinois. How did these cars end up on Empire Service trains?
 #1451320  by NaugyRR

Maybe they're supplementing for the holiday. I know when I ride north out of Rhinecliff to visit family in Saratoga (well, Corinth) that the Adirondack/Ethan Allen tends to be PACKED even on non-holidays/Pony Season.
 #1451334  by jp1822

Hopefully it is temporary, as last time they were on this train, it was met with a LOT of complaints, including the State of NY who funds the Adirondack......
 #1451492  by R36 Combine Coach

jp1822 wrote:Hopefully it is temporary, as last time they were on this train, it was met with a LOT of complaints, including the State of NY who funds the Adirondack......
Cynical here, but maybe they've had enough abuse in the cold in Chicago and sent elsewhere (though NY State can have bitter winters).
 #1451499  by east point

If the horizons were additional cars and NY state did not pay for them to be added what can they complain about ? If NYS did pay for them but they provided more revenue over costs what can NYS complain about ?
 #1451515  by F-line to Dudley via Park

They've supplemented on holidays in the East before; this isn't a rare occurrence. But always widely scattered with no more than 1-2 Horizons per consist. That seems to be the max pain threshold they're willing to allow for manual-door cars per train at Penn.
 #1451539  by jp1822

east point wrote:If the horizons were additional cars and NY state did not pay for them to be added what can they complain about ? If NYS did pay for them but they provided more revenue over costs what can NYS complain about ?
When the Acelas were sidelined in the early 2000's and Amtrak had to press Metroliners back into service, the TWO Metroliner trainsets that had been bestowed to the Adirondack for a few years by that point, were "pulled" and replaced with some beaten up Horizons. That's when complaints poured in. Eventually the Adirondack got back Amfleets, but not the former Metroliner trainset it had (with all low density seating). The mix of Amfleet I and Amfleet II's eventually came in to strike the balance.

During holidays, the Adirondack definitely needs additional cars. If the "additional" cars come in the form of Horizons, I am sure all will be well when ridership smooths out after the holidays......

The Vermonter was even assigned a Horizon car at one point. But the NEC conductors complained about it and it was sent to an Empire Service train - in exchange for an Amfleet. The conductors didn't want the Horizon on the NEC cause it didn't have automatic doors and was causing trouble for all doors when in the consist. Again, that was back in 2008 or so.
 #1451602  by Engineer Spike

The consist was the usual size. Maybe they brought in so that Amfleets can be spread out, and more train sets are available. I saw another pair of Horizons on 68 about four days later.
 #1451612  by east point

Engineer Spike wrote:The consist was the usual size. Maybe they brought in so that Amfleets can be spread out, and more train sets are available. I saw another pair of Horizons on 68 about four days later.
Interesting thought - Say 4 - 6 AM-1s released that would add another car to almost each Empire service trains or at least more cars ALB <> NYP ? That might make NY state happy ?

EDIT If Horizons are placed either at front or rear of train then car control of AM-1s would be maintained ?
 #1451614  by Backshophoss

IT should not matter where the Horizons are placed,they all have the Door Comm trainline,there might be weak signal coming from
the door control station in use at that time.
 #1451662  by Kurt

Friday Morning 11/24/17. Northbound over the Sputen Duyvil bridge. Horizon coach right behind the locomotive
Attachments:
Trains-112417-0-Spuyten Duyvil.JPG
Trains-112417-0-Spuyten Duyvil.JPG (104.16 KiB) Viewed 2254 times