Railroad Forums 

• Siemens Venture Single Level Cars for CA/IL/Midwest

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1518311  by gokeefe

I did exclude the Adirondack, Maple Leaf and Ethan Allen but as you rightly note (and I had forgotten) those trains are now partially or fully supported by NYSDOT (due to PRIIA).

So, 7 trainsets of 5.5 cars each plus two each for the other three routes, also 5.5 cars each. 38.5 to cover the Empire Service and 33 to cover the Adirondack, Maple Leaf and Ethan Allen. So 71.5 or an even 72 cars total.

Combined with the other three orders that would be 112 cars total. Along with 500 cars from Amtrak for the national pool that's more than enough to keep Siemens running well into the middle of the next decade.

Interesting how the presence of a motivated and competent car builder has so drastically altered the dynamic in fleet procurement and even route development.
 #1518329  by electricron

gokeefe wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:33 am Combined with the other three orders that would be 112 cars total. Along with 500 cars from Amtrak for the national pool that's more than enough to keep Siemens running well into the middle of the next decade.
Interesting how the presence of a motivated and competent car builder has so drastically altered the dynamic in fleet procurement and even route development.
Every new car ordered by the States using FRA grants is one less new car Amtrak needs to order to maintain the same level of service. I haven't kept count how many new cars Siemens has or will be ask to manufacture to date, it is spread out over many years and just too much trouble for me to look up. But a quick trip to web site suggests Amtrak is running 16 Metroliners, 457 Amfleet Is, 138 Amfleet IIs, and 92 Horizon cars - not including company service only cars or Viewliner cars not scheduled for retirement.

For public use, that is a total of 703 single level cars scheduled for retirement soon. I wonder where all of them will end up?

I believe Siemens has been very smart and waited for Amtrak's fleet to reach the end of their service lives before introducing a FRA complaint passenger car into America. Suggesting waiting for there to be a demand for them to compete to supply the need. They have had a presence in the Sacramento plant for decades building light rail cars, and now locomotives and heavy rail cars. That prolonged presence has also allowed them to build up a well trained workforce to do the manufacturing as they expanded their operations. It seems all the other manufacturers have been on bull and bear cycles - moving their base of operations around to please purchasers buy locally demands. A poor way to maintain a well trained workforce. It's their well trained and experienced workforce that has made them very competent. Well done Siemens!
 #1518371  by Greg Moore

Well, all I can hope is that NYS and Amtrak and others start purchasing cars!

Assuming a number 700 is roughly accurate, I would suggest that Amtrak really needs aggregate closer to 800 or more with current expansion plans and ones that will come up in the next decade. But that's not a terrible problem. If say Siemens produces 100-125 a year, they could be busy for a decade.
 #1518410  by gokeefe

electricron wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 amEvery new car ordered by the States using FRA grants is one less new car Amtrak needs to order to maintain the same level of service.
I have been watching the situation very closely with this specific dynamic in mind. At the moment my read of the tea leaves is that Amtrak is planning for new routes and additional service that would absorb any surplus of equipment.

It is also well worth noting that the Cascades and Piedmont cars are not replacing equipment from Amtrak's national pool. The California cars are replacing existing state equipment or allowing for expansion of service. There are also a limited number of Amfleets in California that can be returned to the Northeast.
 #1523383  by gokeefe

From the NGEC Section 305 Committee September Report ...
The first 30 carshells are in production at Siemens Sacramento Facility. Static testing is nearly complete on Carshell #1. Corner load, trucking and water tests were completed on Carshell #2. Liners and luggage racks are installed on Carshell #3. Carshells 4 and 5 remain in production with work including: door platforms, underframe racks, toilet modules and wiring. The remaining carshells are in various stages of component installation, welding, integration, painting or storage.

The FAI process continues and most system-level FAIs are complete. The FRA Sample Car Inspection occurred on September 18th and the first two cars are being prepared for shipment to TTCI. The overall car FAI will be scheduled for week of October 21. A functional wheelchair lift demonstration will occur at Ricon on October 15.
 #1540968  by Pensyfan19

I don't know if this was mentioned at all in the Amtrak discussions but... Amtrak just tested the Siemen's Viaggio/Venture/CALIDOT coach on the northeast corridor yesterday!!!

https://railpictures.net/photo/734164/
https://railpictures.net/photo/734165/
And the test train was even led by 642: https://railpictures.net/photo/734167/

I'm also hearing that teating for the coach started since at least April 9:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... sECpVUQiUR_

Was there any information about this on Railroad.net prior to this post?!?! Does anyone have further information about this coach being tested?
 #1540971  by JR4815D2

SIIX9024 has been testing for at least 3 weeks or so. First test happen HAM to COUNTY. Following a test south of Philly. Last week was HAM and COUNTY and PHILLY to PERRYVILLE. Yesterday was a deadhead move to Boston and I don't think any test was done on Sunday.
 #1540981  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: SIIX 9024 is an interesting prototype car. The color scheme used
reminded me of LIRR (and/or) MTA NYS colors more than Caltrans colors.
This would just need the two-tone original blue M logo to be complete.
I would have used the same scheme layout for Amtrak -
just substitute red instead of yellow...

Are there any photos of the interiors available showing vestibules or seating? MACTRAXX
 #1540988  by eolesen

We tend not to be Foamers.net around here... so no.

Since the NEC is the only real 125 mph corridor, not at all surprising they'd be doing speed testing there.
 #1541003  by ST Saint

I've been following this since it first showed up. I'm guessing this is the livery they went with for Caltrans as there has been a number of tweets about it wearing the San Joaquins branding. I still haven't seen any interior shots, but I have to imagine it is similar-ish to Brightline.

More:
https://twitter.com/CaltransHQ/status/1 ... 5893037058

https://twitter.com/siemensmobility/sta ... 7792277506

Its a decent departure from the renderings before, so I wonder if they will change anything on the engines, or just go forward with a close, but not that close livery. Time will tell I guess.