Railroad Forums 

• Wick Moorman out...Richard Anderson in...

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1436142  by OrangeGrove

Arlington wrote:
CVRA7 wrote:I believe Wick himself was the source as he agreed to come on as a transition leader, not a permanent one.
But when did he say this? Was his "transitional" status publicly known before today? It'd be reassuring to see a article from the time of his appointment, for example.
Trains.com, from last November:

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... short-time" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1436147  by ExCon90

Noel Weaver wrote:I wish him all the best but I question this one because of his lack of a railroad background. OH WELL!!!
Noel Weaver
According to releases, Anderson is supposed to "post" the job with Moorman for the rest of the year. Let's hope he's a quick study.
 #1436151  by Arlington

OrangeGrove wrote:
Arlington wrote:
CVRA7 wrote:I believe Wick himself was the source as he agreed to come on as a transition leader, not a permanent one.
But when did he say this? Was his "transitional" status publicly known before today? It'd be reassuring to see a article from the time of his appointment, for example.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... short-time" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The headline says "short", the article says "Wick Moorman says he does not have a long-term future at Amtrak." Neither of these is traditionally read as "15 months" or "Transitional", and is there any chance he'll address all the things he said he wanted to address?
 #1436157  by adamj023

I have mixed feelings on Anderson at Amtrak. I dislike his predecessor Ed Bastien at Delta immensely and will not fly on Delta now.

Anderson has no railroad experience and running Amtrak is completely different. He also overspent on things like small upgrades at airport terminals and got little done even though he did transistion the airline to profitability and cleaned house a little. He bought lots of used aircraft and was good wheeling and dealing for aircraft pricing. But to his credit, Delta had excellent stats with the DOT for stats like on time arrivals.

I believe he will have a difficult time at Amtrak which requires lots of infrastructure investments moreso than Delta.

I don't think Anderson is an upgrade of any kind compared to Joe Boardman, or even Wick Moorman. In fact it is perceived by me as a downgrade to someone who doesn't understand the rail system at all.

I am predicting Amtrak will be chaotic when Anderson takes the helm.
 #1436269  by Suburban Station

adamj023 wrote:I have mixed feelings on Anderson at Amtrak. I dislike his predecessor Ed Bastien at Delta immensely and will not fly on Delta now.

Anderson has no railroad experience and running Amtrak is completely different. He also overspent on things like small upgrades at airport terminals and got little done even though he did transistion the airline to profitability and cleaned house a little. He bought lots of used aircraft and was good wheeling and dealing for aircraft pricing. But to his credit, Delta had excellent stats with the DOT for stats like on time arrivals.

I believe he will have a difficult time at Amtrak which requires lots of infrastructure investments moreso than Delta.

I don't think Anderson is an upgrade of any kind compared to Joe Boardman, or even Wick Moorman. In fact it is perceived by me as a downgrade to someone who doesn't understand the rail system at all.

I am predicting Amtrak will be chaotic when Anderson takes the helm.
I'm a little puzzled by your last comment. what experience did boardman have running a railroad? he was mostly a government guy and while he seemed adept at the political side, he was not so much on the operational side...and certainly had less experience than anderson at managing a large passenger company with big, expensive assets. Hopefully Moorman can negotiate his way on to the board.
 #1436340  by markhb

Arlington wrote:
OrangeGrove wrote:
Arlington wrote:

The headline says "short", the article says "Wick Moorman says he does not have a long-term future at Amtrak." Neither of these is traditionally read as "15 months" or "Transitional", and is there any chance he'll address all the things he said he wanted to address?
If one of your goals when you take over is, "finding the right executive to lead the company over the long term," you're transitional. Particularly given how much space the article gave to his wife's opinion on the matter.
 #1436341  by electricron

I favor the idea of having successful businessmen or businesswomen running usiness oriented public owned companies like Amtrak. They should be managed better than by education heavy elites.
My only hope with this new choice is that Amtrak doesn't start nickel and dining passengers for elaborate extra fees for every service provided. The airlines are masters at this, and I hope Amtrak doesn't learn how.
 #1436342  by ThirdRail7

Arlington wrote:The headline says "short", the article says "Wick Moorman says he does not have a long-term future at Amtrak." Neither of these is traditionally read as "15 months" or "Transitional", and is there any chance he'll address all the things he said he wanted to address?
Arlington,

This isn't a surprise. All he wanted to do was fill until a permanent leader could be found. To aid this, his main agenda was to restructure the organization. He's almost done so there is a good chance he'll address what he wanted to address.

I think it is telling that no railroaders want this job. A big shot at CSX was almost on board, but she decided to turn it down.
 #1436346  by Arlington

I think there is a lot of good that Anderson can do:
1) Business Class. In other threads, we've had lots of criticism of how inconsistent Amtrak's Business Class is. Airline execs would not make this mistake
2) Northeast Corridor. If there's anything a Delta boss would understand it is the fight for business dollars between Boston, New York and DC
3) Fleets and clever financing.
4) Premium service on LDs,
5) Airline Food! (which is very efficient and often very good in premium classes of service, at a fraction of the cost)
 #1436353  by mtuandrew

Agreed on all but 3. Amtrak got into big trouble in the Warrington days with leaseback financing, and I can see an airline chieftain trying the same tricks and making long-term enemies. Delta is accountable to its shareholders and lenders, and they don't care how Delta serves customers as long as it makes money. Amtrak is accountable to a Congress and President with very different goals and desires for funding, and who regularly interfere with Amtrak's internal goals (for good, bad, mixed, or indifferent results.)

5... let's see how much worse Amtrak's food gets :wink:
 #1436358  by Ridgefielder

mtuandrew wrote:5... let's see how much worse Amtrak's food gets :wink:
I mean with regard to your last point... isn't the food on the NEC Regionals basically airline food already? :-D
Last edited by Ridgefielder on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1436360  by Patrick A.

Arlington wrote:I think there is a lot of good that Anderson can do: ...
One other key item not in your list was Operational Excellence / Reliability. Delta under Anderson made a big push in striving to improve performance in key operational metrics (i.e. OTP, Lost Luggage), hopefully Anderson will bring this focus to Amtrak, especially on the NEC and associated branch-lines, where Amtrak can command a price premium if reliability and experience were to improve somewhat.
 #1436364  by mtuandrew

Phasing out all Heritage equipment on the NEC (including the Metroliner cabs ASAP) may help - so will the NYP work at both track and concourse levels. Anderson stands to benefit from both Moorman's and Boardman's efforts, which is fine as long as he builds on those achievements for the next CEO and for Amtrak.

Railroaders and industry folks: what is the most unreliable part of Amtrak's current system?
 #1436378  by Gilbert B Norman

I have to applaud Mr. Patrick A around here.

He notes recognition of what counts for Amtrak - namely trains that show up more or less on time, on which the HVAC works, and are safe from pop-gun toting whackos.

All too much of the discussion here relates to the quality of on-board F&B which means nothing to most Corridor riders.

I agree with those who hold the Business Class product should be labeled for the routes on which 2-1 Amclub seating can be offered. Elsewhere call it what it is - Coach-Plus.

So far as quality of food, we are addressing such a niche of Amtrak's business that if what is offered will not generate "Congressman, may I tell you about the vile Short Ribs I had on the Auto-Train? (mine from IL-6 would simply respond "we're just going to shut down that sorry excuse of a Federal Agency; God bless President Trump" - and send me some $$$$ so I can continue the fight)".

FWIW, I have had superb Short Ribs both on United flying overseas, albeit in Business, and also last week at a Lunch spot on Michigan Ave in Chi.