Railroad Forums 

• Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited Connection

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1433459  by JLJ061

This weekend I will be taking the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited from Chicago to Tucson, AZ.

I was wondering how the connection will be made at San Antonio? I assume a sleeper and coach will be cut from the Eagle and coupled to the rear of the Sunset when it arrives?
 #1433470  by Backshophoss

Hopefully you are aware of the current Detour via UP to Austin instead of the normal routing thru D-FW Metroplex.
#1 tends to be OT or early at San Antonio,#21 tends to be 1 hour late there.
 #1433475  by bratkinson

Assuming they do the procedure as they did 4 weeks ago when I rode 421 CHI-LAX, you'll stay in your car with lights and A/C working as normal. Once #1 arrives, 'they' will switch out the two cars (thru sleeper in front of diner & thru coach in the rear) will be removed and placed in the rearmost positions on #1. They did NOT wye the sleeper so it was 'backwards' on #1. I woke up a couple of times during the switching, so I don't know what power they used for switching. I was surprised at the change from 4-5 years ago when both through cars were at the end of #21 departing STL (CHI-STL coach behind the through cars was removed at STL).

If you are going the other direction as I did a week later, 'they' moved both cars to #22 with the sleeper once again in front of the diner and the coach at the rear...THEN they wyed the entire train upon departing SAS.