Railroad Forums 

• Penn Station Emergency Repairs: Trackwork, etc.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1437239  by GirlOnTheTrain

Sisko24 wrote: I do not know the status of the lower level pay phones. As for the 'no Wi-Fi' listing, I would be quite skeptical of that as well. There are too many iZombies wandering through Grand Central for me to believe there is no connectivity therein. WARNING: you WILL be run over by the walking undead!
Stationmaster's Office has wifi - albeit crappy, and the Apple Store is one giant hotspot you can pick up throughout the entire main concourse.
 #1437280  by STrRedWolf

Idea: Amtrak strikes a deal w/Apple for a kiosk right at Apple's steps, consisting of an iPad that's restricted to Amtrak's check-in/print system and an AirPrint capable printer... or any printer with a Raspberry Pi 3. :) Just have someone travel up from Penn Station with a few reams of paper to refill the kiosks.
 #1437417  by Jeff Smith

Mr. Curtin, that's how they're servicing GCT; P32 on one end; P42 on the other as a cab car.

Amtrak Grand Central Operations: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=22368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1437420  by Gilbert B Norman

So far, so good:

http://nytimes.com/2017/07/10/nyregion/ ... ersey.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Two months of train disruptions began today on New Jersey Transit, Long Island Rail Road and Amtrak, with track repairs underway at Pennsylvania Station. See our commuting guide.

• There were brief delays, but no major problems this morning getting into Manhattan.

• Your commute home might have to be different from your commute in.

There were crowds, but bearable commutes.

Regular commuters confronted thicker crowds than usual on some routes this morning.

“Confusion? No,” Whit Waterbury texted us from a New Jersey Transit Morris and Essex line train. “Being herded like cattle & squished in? You bet"
 #1437442  by Ridgefielder

Just stepped over to Grand Central to take a look.

-The 2:15 to Albany was posted as a Hudson Line departure both on the main board and on the TV monitors, with a note that says "Amtrak Train 235"
-Gate sign on Track 38 was in Hudson Line green, all stops listed.
-Couple Amtrak personnel standing around by the train gate.
-As I was walking out, the announcer was calling over the PA "Attention passengers! Amtrak train 235, the 2:15 departure for Albany, making stops at Yonkers, Croton-Harmon, Poughkeepsie, Rhinecliff, Hudson and Albany-Rennselaer, will be receiving passengers on Track 38." Haven't heard that announcement in GCT in a long time...
 #1437523  by TCurtin

Jeff Smith wrote:Mr. Curtin, that's how they're servicing GCT; P32 on one end; P42 on the other as a cab car.

Amtrak Grand Central Operations: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=22368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry, I guess I was not clear enough i my post. The train (I believe 63) that I saw Monday morning was running with double units at the head end, and #63 wouldn't have been a GCT run anyway.

In any event I think I figured out the answer: 63 and 69 are departing NYP as one train. That explains the two units, or so I would surmise. If so, it will have two units every day

Tom