Railroad Forums 

• Taking Amtrak across the country

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1398034  by abc8251

I'm spinning some ideas in my head for my vacation next year. I get 2 weeks. I'm thinking about possibly taking Amtrak to LA (from NY). I enjoy flying actually, but I want a different experience. What would that trip be like, how long will it take ect? I even considered Greyhound, but I think Amtrak is nicer.
 #1398036  by Philly Amtrak Fan

I've gone coast to coast several times on Amtrak. I also live on the East Coast.

From NYP, take the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago. In Chicago, transfer to the Southwest Chief. I've been on both trains before. The LSL takes about 1 day from end to end while the SWC 2 days so 3 days coast to coast. You can either go through and leave Chicago the same day or spend a day (or more) in Chicago.

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/596/930/La ... 2416,0.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/583/472/So ... 1116,0.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1398043  by ExCon90

I like your comment about wanting a different experience. I've done both numerous times, and going through places at ground level that you usually see from 30,000 feet is a totally different experience--one that should not be missed. By all means do it.
 #1398140  by hgondilon

New York to LA is going to take you about 3.5 Days in total. You could take the lake shore limited, or you could take a regional to Washington DC and take the Capitol limited. The Capitol is a bit more reliable time wise, but the scenery is better on the Lake shore. From Chicago the most Direct route is to take the Southwest Chief to Los Angeles. If you want to see more of the Country, you could either take the Texas Eagle to San Antonio and then catch the Sunset Limited (Requires an overnight layover in San Antonio), or you could take the California Zephyr to the Bay area and take a train down to LA from there. Any way you do it the scenery will be great, and it is infinitely more comfortable than greyhound. You also will meet a whole range of interesting people if you spend time in the lounge car (Which I recommend doing.) Pro Tip: Pack yourself a bag of food before you leave if you want to save money. Pro tip 2: Bring a neck pillow. It makes sleeping in coach seats much nicer.
 #1398366  by PC1100

I took that trip via the North East Corridor/Capitol Limited from NY-Chicago, then the Southwest Chief from Chicago-L.A. several years ago and found it to be a great trip. I've ridden the Lake Shore Limited for other trips, so either option for the NY-Chicago run is good. As long as Amtrak doesn't mess things up by making this "via Michigan" nonsense permanent for the Lake Shore Limited, the Lake Shore is a good option. Nice scenery in NY and out in Ohio and Indiana all on the old New York Central "Water Level Route." The D.C.-Chicago Capitol Limited run is great. Lots of great scenery on the old Baltimore and Ohio west of D.C., then the same route as the Lake Shore Limited on the old NYC main line through Ohio and Indiana the next morning. The scenery on the Southwest Chief is incredible, specifically Day 2 (I've never ridden the Sunset Limited, so I can't compare the two).

A couple of suggestions - one, especially if this is your first cross-country Amtrak trip - get a room in a sleeping car, even if it's just a roomette. The meals are included in the price (I've taken many Amtrak trips, and I've only had one bad meal), and you still have the flexibility to go to the observation car. If you want to save some money go coach from NY-Chicago, but try to get sleeping car accommodations for the Chicago-L.A. run. It isn't cheap, but it's well worth the money. I rode in coach on my first long distance Amtrak trip and it almost turned me off to long distance trains forever. Ever since I've gotten a roomette and the whole experience is different. On every long distance trip I take I hear about terrible experiences from other passengers I talk to who are riding in coach. I've never had a bad experience since I switched to sleeping car accommodations. In my opinion there is no better way to travel if you have the time and the money. My other suggestion would be to try to go in June when you get the most daylight hours. The scenery makes the whole trip in my opinion, so try to go when you can see the most sights.
 #1398368  by electricron

With two weeks available, I would suggest taking the long way. Take the Crescent from New York City to New Orleans, then take the Sunset Limited to Los Angeles. Just wanted to point out that the Sunset Limited isn't a daily train, but there will be three days where this trip is possible. The Crescent arrives daily in New Orleans at 7:32 pm, the Sunset Limited leaves New Orleans at 9:00 am on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. No worries about making the transfer, you'll have over 11 hours layover in New Orleans if you left New York City on a Saturday, Monday, or Thursday. That's leaves you one evening to enjoy a Jazz band and some Canjun cooking. On leaving New Orleans, you'll be crossing the Mississippi River at its widest over a bridge that's high above.
Most will recommend taking the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago, then the Southwest Chief to Los Angeles. The Lake Shore will arrive in Chicago at 9:45 am, and the Southwest Chief leaves Chicago at 3:00 pm. Transfers might be a problem with over a 5 hour layover in Chicago. Almost everytime I schedule a same day transfer in Chicago the arriving train is always late and I miss the departing train. While the Lake Shore usually runs late, it's unusual for it to be 5 hours late, but it happens often enough for me to give the warning. I usually just book taking the next train the following day anymore and never have concerns making the transfer. There's plenty of sights to see in Chicago. Hours after leaving Chicago you'll be crossing the Mississippi River before the Missouri River joins, so Old Man River isn;t as grand this far north.
Another choice that's a longer trip is take the Texas Eagle from Chicago at 1:45 pm instead of taking the Southwest Chief. That's an even shorter layover in Chicago of 4 hours. Remember my warning about same day transfers. It'll go all the way to Los Angeles on three days a week as it leaves San Antonio on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. So you'll have to take the Texas Eagle from Chicago on Sunday, Tuesday, or Friday, which means taking the Lake Shore from New York City on Saturday, Monday, or Thursday for a same day transfer in Chicago. There will be a layover in San Antonio of almost 5 hours where you could see the sights, but the hours being 10 pm to 3 am will mean a late night tour. You'll be crossing the Mississippi River miles after the Missouri River joins, it'll be a grand crossing.

If you're in a hurry to cross the country, the Lake Shore Limited and Southwest Chief will be the fastest crossing.
 #1398423  by Arborwayfan

If you have time to go the long way around, but don't want to/can't go via New Orleans, you could go by way of Oakland in one direction: California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville and Coast Starlight to LA (or the reverse). The California Zephyr goes through the Sierras and the Rockies and hours' worth of red canyons in Colorado.

I took a lot of long coach trips in my 20s and they were fine. I got kind of tired by the end, but I met people, and in coach you can always see out both sides of the train. YOu have to pay for your food, but I usually find that three diner meals a day is more food than I really want when I'm just sitting there looking out the window.
Superliner roomettes (Capitol Limited and all the Western trains) are more comfortable than Viewliner ones (Lake Shore Limited, Crescent) -- the beds are wider and there isn't a tiny toilet right next to your feet. I think the roomettes on the western trains are a better deal than on the LSL -- you tend to get two nights and three days of meals out west for less than twice what you pay for one night and two meals on the LSL. So if you want to take a sleeper only partway, it probably makes sense to do it out west, and ride coach in the east.
 #1405392  by hioo1

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I'm actually planning a similar trip for my honeymoon (it actually was her idea!) where we go from east coast (NJ area) to the west coast and I would like some advice. My initial plan was to take the Lake Shore from NY to Chicago (booking a roomette) and then transfer the California Zephyr (getting a full bedroom). We would then spend a few days in San Fransisco before taking the Coast Starlight to Seattle (roomette) before flying home. I have some concerns now that the Lake Shore is without a dining car for the moment. I probably wouldn't have a problem with it but the lady probably would like better than microwaved food. Would it be better to head down the corridor and then take the Capital Limited to Chicago? Is it that much better scenery on the Lake Shore? Also, we are getting married in late December but we were thinking about waiting until May to take the honeymoon for better scenery, but we could be persuaded to move it to the winter if we knew the scenery would be lovely. Another worry I have is that we are both large people and I worry about how comfortable the beds are. This is my first long distance train trip and any help would be appreciated! I'm very excited!
 #1405394  by Greg Moore

Train across country for a honeymoon? "What a stupid idea." Oh wait.. never mind that was my wife's grandmother talking.
Everyone else, including us thought it was a great idea.

And it was.

We did: LSL to Chicago
Southwest Chief to Flagstaff, got off to hike Grand Canyon, then back on to LA.
Stayed a night there, saw some stuff.
Then Coast Starlight up to Oakland.
Night there, checked out as much as San Fran as we could.
Then California Zephyr back to to Chicago and then LSL to Albany.

That said, it was a great trip, though by the last day or two we were ready to be home. :-)

I'd wait until May for the better scenery. The LSL is generally considered to have better scenery than the Capitol Limited.

I think one leg w/o a diner, will be fine.

Definitely enjoy the trip.

We did ours 20 years ago. The sleepers were still fairly brand new.
And when we told the crew, we ended up with a few nice things like a bottle of complimentary wine and stuff.
They were VERY gracious.

You should have a great time.
 #1405403  by Ocala Mike

I've got 25,000 AGR points, and was thinking about doing Palatka, FL to Salt Lake City, UT and return next year. What would that routing be like?

I could also drive to New Orleans, and use that as my starting point if more feasible/cheaper.
 #1405424  by Backshophoss

Take the Meteor to DC,option to the Cardinal(11:05 am dp) or the Capitol(4:05 pm dp) to Chicago.
CZ leaves Chicago at 2:00 p for a 11:30 pm(2nd day) arrival at Salt Lake City
It's a 3:30 am dp from Salt lake City to Chicago,option to the Cardinal(6:45 pm dp)or Capitol(6:40 pm dp)
back to DC,then the Meteor(7:25 pm dp) back home.

Cardinal is a "Tri-weekly" train with "diner lite" service.
You have the UTA "Front runner" service to reach Ogden/Provo. :-)
 #1405433  by electricron

hioo1 wrote:This is my first long distance train trip and any help would be appreciated! I'm very excited!
If having a romantic dinner in a diner car is important part of your honeymoon plans, I would recommend catching the Capital Limited from D.C. instead of the Lake Shore Limited from NTC. ;)
The problem with all east coast trains westbound to Chicago, especially during the winter months, is the trains travel through the Appalachians at night in the dark, so you miss the views of the best scenery.

Here's a tip so you can look out the window not not see reflections and where others can't look in is to turn off the lights in your room or roomette. ;)

You might get lucky and have a full, or mostly full moon, the Appalachians under a full moon can be a beautiful sight. So check the lunar calendar and hope for clear skies.;)

A flashlight or nightlight aimed at the floor should provide enough light so you can maneuver safely without bumping into one another unintentionally. ;)

Have a great trip!
 #1405450  by Gilbert B Norman

electricron wrote:If having a romantic dinner in a diner car is important part of your honeymoon plans, I would recommend catching the Capital Limited from D.C. instead of the Lake Shore Limited from NYC.
Romantic "Dinner in the Diner?", oh please!!

In the Diner (assuming there are any left on the Single Level trains), you get the number of seats for your party. The Diners all have bench seating, so that a small child can be squeezed in when necessary. There is no such a thing as a "table for two". Grace and Cary aboard The Century?, that was another age - even before "Mad Men". There is no Maitre D to "take care of things" (and be taken care of in the process); just a Lead Attendant responsible for accountability but also serving tables and maybe two other servers.

Think Dennys; and not Canlis
 #1405657  by PC1100

I would recommend taking the Capitol Limited for the east coast-Chicago leg of the trip, and I would suggest May because you get more daylight. The Lake Shore Limited is ok, but I believe the Capitol Limited has better on time performance and it's scheduled to get into Chicago a little earlier than the Lake Shore anyway, so you can see a little bit of Chicago during the layover. The only difference in scenery on the first day of the trip is not seeing the Hudson Valley (and maybe the Mohawk Valley) if you take the Capitol Limited. I say maybe about the Mohawk Valley because it depends on the time of year, and even then, if the train is running on time. Last time I took it, the train was so late out of Albany that it was already dark, and this was in June!

Regarding the dining service, the regular dining cars are much better than the reduced service, so this is another reason I would suggest the Capitol Limited. I rode the Cardinal (which has had that reduced type of dining service for years) several years ago, and I've subsequently taken many other long distance trains with traditional dining service, so I can certainly attest to the difference. I wasn't around for the glory days of long distance passenger service of the pre-Amtrak era (I'm sure it was an amazing experience to eat in the dining cars back then and I wish I could have been there for it) but I can tell you that considering the reduced budgets they work with, I'm always impressed with the food and service in the full service, traditional dining cars. It really is part of the experience in terms of a long distance rail trip. I'm sure if the airlines were still offering the same service they were back in 1940 and there was no such thing as an interstate highway, CSX would be running the Lake Shore Limited and the Capitol Limited and their dining cars, the service, and the menus would bear resemblance the interiors, the service and the menus of any high end restaurant of 2016. I'm always surprised by the dismissive attitude I see on here by some railfans regarding Amtrak's traditional dining car service.