Railroad Forums 

• Niagara Falls Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1390374  by jhdeasy

I wonder how the use of the new station at NFL will affect the USA immigration and customs procedures for train 64, The Maple Leaf, which currently backs into the siding alongside the Amtrak building at the current station off Lockport Road. When the federal agents complete their work, then passengers getting off at NFL are allowed to detrain and passengers boarding at NFL are allowed to board.

Will the federal agents work train 64 at the new station? I suspect that will be necessary.

As for the trains terminating (281 and 283) and originating (280, 284, 288) at NFL, there will be between one and two miles of additional backup moves, as all of those trainsets will still be stored, serviced and inspected at the current facility.
 #1390423  by Backshophoss

The new station is setup for customs and border patrol from the beginning,having a secure area to hold passengers for the
inspections needed,there's talk of getting canadian customs to join in the station as a 1 stop clearance point for 63/64.
 #1390569  by NS VIA FAN

Backshophoss wrote:........there's talk of getting canadian customs to join in the station as a 1 stop clearance point for 63/64.
That would just make too much sense!

Also run the summer weekend Toronto-Niagara GO Trains across the border to the new Station. Passengers would clear US CBP then catch the next Empire Service train to New York. In reverse, passengers arrive on an Empire Service train; clear Canada’s CBSA on the US side then board a GO Train to continue onto Toronto.

With some tweaking of schedules.....besides the Maple Leaf, there could be at least one additional connecting service a day each way.

(I believe the new Amtrak Station has high level platforms so something would have to be done to accommodate GO Bi-levels)

Below.....Looking from the VIA Station across the bridge to the US...... and the Maple Leaf passing through the new Niagara Falls NY Station

#1390699  by NealG

NS VIA FAN wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:........there's talk of getting canadian customs to join in the station as a 1 stop clearance point for 63/64.
That would just make too much sense!
I believe that the treaty that allows U.S. CBP officers to do customs and immigration checks in Canadian airports is reciprocal, however I don't think Canada has ever invoked its right to do so. Dunno if the treaty covers railroad stations, but it would make sense here. On a slightly unrelated note, it would make a ton of sense to do extend Via's Corridor services just beyond Windsor and do the same in Detroit.
 #1390815  by AgentSkelly

Here's the skinny from my friends in the trade:

As part of the implementation of the new 2015 US-Canada Pre-clearance agreement, Montreal Central Station will have full customs/immigration for both nations and Vancouver Pacific Central will be upgraded to a full pre-clearence faciltiy where US CBP can do both immigration and customs checks at the station instead of immigration only.

Now where does this leave Niagara Falls, New York and Ontario? Well, it wasn't apart of the final agreement but it was not forgotten; Amtrak and VIA were actually consulted if they wanted to change the arrangement for the Maple Leaf, however due to the fact the train changes operators at the Whirlpool Bridge, it was decided that it would be best to instead do juxtaposed inspections at Niagara Falls, NY with the new station to take advantage of the new agreement's full abilities to let Canada Border Services Agency do its job on US soil.
 #1390859  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Sounds logical. The Maple Leaf also differs from the Cascades in having multiple intermediate stops on the Canadian side serving some degree of intra-Canadian demand. Cascades proceeds straight to Vancouver from the border, and when the preclearance operation at Gare Central opens St. Lambert station gets dropped from the Adirondack and the train runs 'sealed' between Rouses Point, NY and Gare Central (ditto any reanimated Montrealer between the last VT stop and Gare Central). Can't do that on the Maple Leaf when Grimsby, St. Catherines, and Niagra-Canada all pick up some local slack the months that GO Transit's Niagra locals aren't running. And any long-term future revivals of the International/International Limited, Niagra Rainbow, or Ocean would be in the same boat of serving multiple intermediates both sides of the border.
 #1390880  by Greg Moore

Hmm, that's a real nice detail I hadn't thought of. I think reviving one of those would be excellent!
 #1390905  by jonnhrr

And any long-term future revivals of the International/International Limited, Niagra Rainbow, or Ocean would be in the same boat of serving multiple intermediates both sides of the border
Did you mean the Atlantic? I thought the Ocean ran entirely within Canada. The Atlantic used to run from Montreal to Halifax via Northern Maine making stops at Greenville, Brownville Jct, Mattawamkeag and maybe other places within Maine.

Jon
 #1391079  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

It will be VERY interesting to see how the opening of the Niagara Falls, NY Amtrak Station affects Empire and VIA train services...

I can see using the Whirlpool Bridge to cross connecting ticketed passengers between both Niagara Falls stations either by a van service
across or allowing the use of the bridge walkways thanks to the close proximity of both stations to each other...
Hopefully something gets worked out between US CBP and CBSA to make this border crossing easier...

More then likely GO Transit trains using the low level platform only capable bilevel cars will continue to originate/terminate at NFS...

NS VIA Fan: Good pictures of #64 east going over the Whirlpool Bridge - it shows how close the new NFL station will be to NFS...

May these new changes be positive...MACTRAXX
 #1391111  by AgentSkelly

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone:

It will be VERY interesting to see how the opening of the Niagara Falls, NY Amtrak Station affects Empire and VIA train services...

I can see using the Whirlpool Bridge to cross connecting ticketed passengers between both Niagara Falls stations either by a van service
across or allowing the use of the bridge walkways thanks to the close proximity of both stations to each other...
Hopefully something gets worked out between US CBP and CBSA to make this border crossing easier...

More then likely GO Transit trains using the low level platform only capable bilevel cars will continue to originate/terminate at NFS...

NS VIA Fan: Good pictures of #64 east going over the Whirlpool Bridge - it shows how close the new NFL station will be to NFS...

May these new changes be positive...MACTRAXX
In the new station, things will be changed. When 64 arrives fresh from Canada, passengers will get off the train car by car most likely and instead of going downstairs, they will be directed to the 2nd floor adjacent to the platform which has a full US CBP Port of Entry facility, so there be US CBP Officer at interview desks and a secondary inspection area plus holding/interrogation rooms, etc like the airport. When a passenger is cleared, they will go downstairs and standby in the waiting room until the train is released to Amtrak, which then they can re-board.

Also, Whirlpool Bridge is for NEXUS cardholders only...
 #1391332  by MACTRAXX

Skelly:

Could there be a change implemented allowing documented rail passengers to use the Whirlpool Bridge alongside NEXUS card holders
between NFL and NFS noting the proximity of both stations at either end of the Bridge when the new Amtrak Station opens?

This would be a common sense move to make the border crossing easier for train riders traveling through Niagara Falls...
There would be positive benefits for Amtrak, VIA and GO and their passengers...

MACTRAXX
 #1391465  by StLouSteve

Trains Mag is reporting GO Transit is going to rebuild the line and offer daily commuter service from Niagara Falls ON to Hamilton. It's is going to be a long term project not fully implemented for many years. Don't know how this will impact the new station at all.

"GO Transit plans new weekday train service to Niagara Falls, Ontario
HAMILTON, Ontario — The province of Ontario is looking ahead to the idea of bringing new weekday GO Transit rail service between Hamilton, and Niagara Falls, Ont. The agency hopes to bring the passenger service to the region starting in 2021...."

Article behind paywall:

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... gara-falls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1391502  by AgentSkelly

MACTRAXX wrote:Skelly:

Could there be a change implemented allowing documented rail passengers to use the Whirlpool Bridge alongside NEXUS card holders
between NFL and NFS noting the proximity of both stations at either end of the Bridge when the new Amtrak Station opens?

This would be a common sense move to make the border crossing easier for train riders traveling through Niagara Falls...
There would be positive benefits for Amtrak, VIA and GO and their passengers...

MACTRAXX
I'm not sure if I am quite following you; The top deck of the bridge has train the train tracks and and basically anything in a train can cross that; the lower deck is the road crossing and is setup only for NEXUS cardholders in vehicles.