Railroad Forums 

• Recent Work In Harrisburg

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1376090  by Lackawanna565

Anyone have photos or knows what Amtrak got done there at State? Last time I was there. Some concrete ties were installed.
 #1377157  by train2

One by one each track has been removed and replaced with concrete ties and rail. They had to move the GG1 out for a while to do so. Now catnery work is on going, the Market St Running track has no wire over it and the diesel is currently used to move engines over that when changing tracks. The double slip switch at the east end, the only one in Harrisburg, looks to be history soon. Connections to 2 legs of it have been removed. Also two new signal bridges have been erected but are not in service. Several new bungalows have been placed. Those will contribute to the closure of State "tower" no doubt.
 #1377177  by JimBoylan

Are the new bungalows above water level, and is it the 1937 or 1972 level? Signal cases erected during electrification were sometimes put above the lower 1937 flood level, so they could get wet during Agnes in 1972.
 #1377637  by Lackawanna565

Are they gonna use CPL signals there? I found this photo. But's it hard to tell what type of signal they are.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4417016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1377866  by train2

Those are CPLs, look above the bagged ones and you will see CPLs facing skyward. Looks like a bunch of drawf cpls will go away. But two new CPL bridges are up.
 #1377894  by ExCon90

Aha--now I see it taking shape. I was wondering why the white bagged shapes weren't round; the upward-facing heads will be the upper heads, and the bagged ones have the circular shape chopped down to have vertical sides, in keeping with their standard practice for two-headed signals. I'm glad they're going with standard high signals instead of pedestals.
 #1377929  by Lackawanna565

Are they gonna be 30 or 45mph switches? And are they gonna install 80mph switches to the east? I forget where I read that. But I know it's a legitimate source.
 #1378049  by ExCon90

I certainly hope they're 45 mph at least, so that departing trains can accelerate immediately instead of waiting until they're clear of the interlocking. The high signals rather than pedestals may indicate that that's the case, since traditionally, pedestals were not used where speeds exceeded 30. Be nice to see Limited Clear instead of Slow Clear leaving Harrisburg.