Railroad Forums 

• Thanksgiving Week Extras

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#69138  by nick11a

^Yeah, I remember being on a westbound NJT train on Sunday morning last year crammed (and I do mean crammed) into a vestibule. The most crowded train I've been on in my life. Saw that set through the window heading east to NYP at Newark Liberty Int'l Airport.

#69250  by NealG

nick11a wrote:
Mr Met wrote:will any marc sets make there way up into NYP
Yes, they have in the past.
How about to Boston?

#69302  by Silverliner II

On Thanksgiving Eve 1991, I rode a set of SEPTA Silverliner IV's from D.C. to Philly as part of my trip home from college (I was connecting off the Capitol Limited).

It was quite a rattling trip, as the cars were virtually shaking themselves apart trying to get past 80 mph. I hid the SEPTA hat I was wearing after I started getting dirty looks from passengers and crew alike!

I also made a trip from Philly to D.C. and caught a train the Friday before Memorial Day back in 2001 that had five MARC Sumitomo coaches on the head end of the train. Five Amfleet (including a cafe) brought up the rear. Power was two AEM-7's. I rode the MARC cars for the novelty.

And totally unplanned....I had the same equipment on my train back home! Rode the MARC cars again.

And don't worry about overcrowding.....aren't all the trains reserved for the holiday period? They have been for the past couple years.

Don't expect to see the Turbos on the Empire corridor. All sets are out of service and in storage in Delaware.

Joe
 #69326  by Tom Curtin

All these comments about MARC and SEPTA equipment being used on Amtrak extras reminds me of a holiday weekend trip years ago --- let's see, I think 1969, when I was working in the DC area. I caught a consist of --- are you ready? --- PRR MP54 MUs out of Penn. Rode 'em all the way to WUS. I seem to recall the running time was about 4 1/2 hours. Now there was an exercise in masochism!!!
 #69352  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Curtin--

Did you complain and receive a voucher from P-Road's (whoops, Puddy Tat's) Customer Satisfaction Program????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#69362  by octr202

Probably could expect some sort of CDOT equipment to be used New Haven-Springfield.

I doubt that MBTA equipment will get used -- there isn't much practical application for it in New England. Since the T doesn't have any electrics, all they can contribute is single level coaches without motive power -- and there are probably more than enough of those available elsewhere that come with their own motive power (NJT Arrows, MARC).

I also don't think that Amtrak woul ever put commuter equipment on a full length NEC run (i.e., Boston to DC), as that would be a bit abusive to passengers.

Assuming that Amtrak's biggest challenge in the NE is electric locomotives, not coaches, maybe they could swap MARC 6 or 8 P40's for their electrics for a week. I'm not sure if the MARC AEM7's & HHP8's have all the necesary ACSES gear for traveling to New England, but they could certainly free up Amtrak's own units for those runs. Plus, NJ and Philly and NYC could use a splash of color. :wink:

#69372  by hsr_fan

It's a shame the Turboliners are being wasted at a time when Amtrak could use the extra equipment. I'm sure Super Steel would have made the necessary repairs by now if Amtrak had allowed it.

#69381  by Mr Met

will they lese a alp-44 or more alp-46's for the extra's
 #70231  by LAUNCHman

If I get to an NEC station an hour before an unreserved arrival, am I gonna prolly still be turned away? I'm optimistic to think there will be any seats.

I was under the impression all NEC trains northbound on Wednesday are just about sold out. But I figured everything would be reserved, yet there are some trains that aren't "sold out" are marked as unreserved, leaving my travel plans up in the air.

I guess I'll see what happens when I get there! Just wish I knew if I would be getting to NYP or not this Wednesday. There's some college bball Thanksgiving classic I had hoped to take in.

#70259  by RMadisonWI

Where are you traveling? Clockers and Keystones (PHL-NYP) are unreserved. To the best of my knowledge, everything else is reserved.

#70261  by Olton Hall

All Regional and Holiday Extras and Shuttles are reserved from November 23 through the 30th as well as the usual Acela Express and Metroliner. As indicated, the Keystones and clockers are not. I don't think the Amtrak web site takes into account the comments that the printed version does that indicates those days are reserved.

#70297  by TomNelligan

Since you indicate your location as Philadelphia, you've always got the SEPTA - NJ Transit option with a change in Trenton. Those are unreserved commuter trains, and while they may be crowded you won't be turned away. Accomodations are more spartan than on Amtrak, and the ride is a little slower, but the fare is a lot cheaper.

#70984  by etna9726b

The Springfield - New Haven shuttle has an extra car from Shoreline East.
Making it a three car train rather than the regular two. Placed in the middle I may add, retaining the cab car functionallity on the back end.