Railroad Forums 

• Diaper Changing Tables

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1355354  by jackintosh11

Last night, I was on train 90 the Palmetto from WAS to PHL. Due to a large group of people getting off in DC and them boarding everyone in the first 4 cars, there were lots of open seats in the Amfleet II section. Knowing what I do, I sat back there. However, as I was walking to the cafe, I saw a woman changing her 3 year old son's diaper on the seats, with no cover or anything. I asked her if she could please do that in the bathroom from now on, and she said she couldn't because there were no changing tables. Obviously, Amtrak doesn't want people changing diapers on the seats, but why are there no changing tables? The size of the bathroom wouldn't be a concern, as plane bathrooms have them and they're much smaller. So why doesn't Amtrak have changing tables?
 #1355365  by Greg Moore

You know, it's been years since I've had to deal with diapers (thankfully) but you bring up a good point. Definitely something for Amtrak to consider.
 #1355479  by GWoodle

May be something for Amtrak to consider. Make bathrooms any sex (either it's occupied or not) with changing table & similar appliance in both rooms. In the station maybe have a Family bathroom (Dad's can change diapers too). Then have container for the used diaper. Should be a facility for older folks that also use diapers.
 #1355517  by hi55us

Oddly, the Acela does have changing tables but the Regionals do not.... big selling point for the Acela if you ask me...
 #1355519  by jackintosh11

hi55us wrote:Oddly, the Acela does have changing tables but the Regionals do not.... big selling point for the Acela if you ask me...
I'm pretty sure they don't want business travelers thinking Acela=screaming babies. Maybe remove the changing tables and advertise that.
 #1355551  by AgentSkelly

Talgo sets have a changing table in the bathroom.
 #1355557  by DutchRailnut

We can compare to any equipment in world, but lets see any 40 year old car in world with amenities like baby changing tables.
but when we start wondering about stuff like this on railfan pages ??? what is next single ply or double ply, should Amtrak spring for Charmin ??
 #1355562  by talltim

I don't think the age of the equipment has anything to with it, I'm willing to bet that the interior fittings aren't those that was in the original build.
 #1355567  by Greg Moore

DutchRailnut wrote:We can compare to any equipment in world, but lets see any 40 year old car in world with amenities like baby changing tables.
but when we start wondering about stuff like this on railfan pages ??? what is next single ply or double ply, should Amtrak spring for Charmin ??
You're right, because none of the Amfleets have had their bathrooms replaced in the last 40 years. Oh wait, they have.

So it is a fair comparision. Every (AFAIK) Amfleet has undergone retrofits since they've been received.

And dismissing the concerns of passengers (especially in the age range that's showing a large interest in rail travel) is pretty condescending.
 #1355579  by mtuandrew

Exactly. It isn't exactly a difficult retrofit - and 30 year old aircraft certainly have changing tables. (I haven't been aboard a 40 year old aircraft recently, so I can't compare.)

And if Amtrak sprung for Charmin, maybe Kimberly-Clark would be willing to sponsor the bathrooms? :P

-----

In a related topic, several of my friends have commented on how there aren't nursing rooms available in public facilities, and I can't think of any dedicated spaces in train cars for that. (No, bathrooms aren't an option. Would you drink milk on the toilet?)