Railroad Forums 

• AEM-7 status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1376548  by aem7ac921

942 was reported at milepost 109 in Madison, CT last night. No idea what it's doing there. Last I heard it was in MARC service.
 #1376553  by ApproachMedium

As of this post its hauling MARC 9585 to Perryville MD. So no, it is not in the state of CT.

Its been on the train that goes to perryville for a while now.
 #1377011  by ApproachMedium

They always move stuff around. It will end up back outside at some point probably. What they really should do is get a good clear coat over that paint so it doesnt fade.
 #1377025  by Gilbert B Norman

Might RRMPA see fit to relivery the unit to the Phase II in which it was placed in revenue service?
 #1377048  by aem7ac921

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Might RRMPA see fit to relivery the unit to the Phase II in which it was placed in revenue service?
I've heard talk that it may be repainted to phase III, but I'm not certain it will, at least not for awhile. I've been through the restoration shop, and it's large enough only to fit 1 piece of equipment at a time. After talking with some museum employees in the summer of 2014, the next items on their agenda to restore was GG1 4800 and E60 603. After that they have many other pieces in the yard to restore.
ApproachMedium wrote:They always move stuff around. It will end up back outside at some point probably. What they really should do is get a good clear coat over that paint so it doesnt fade.
True, the do move items around the yard quite a bit. However, I have noticed that when an item is moved indoors, it usually stays there for awhile. Also, 915 appears to have been washed, possibly indicating that they intend to keep it on display, at least for awhile. You're right, they should put a clear coat over the paint.
 #1377053  by ApproachMedium

That engine was just painted about 4-5 years ago by amtrak so the paint should be good for a while esp if left indoors.
 #1377066  by Fan Railer

aem7ac921 wrote:Looks like they moved 915 indoors. It's good that they did this so it doesn't deteriorate and begin to look like 603.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi ... Side_2.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also apologize for the misinformation (again). I misinterpreted what my source told me. Sorry!
That's good to see / hear.
 #1377155  by ApproachMedium

946 Still in marc service layed over this weekend in Baltimore. I noticed the back track where the 601 and a bunch of the AC motors were in wilmington has been cleared out of all its engine and the 601. Stuff is probably getting ready for disposition.
 #1377441  by ApproachMedium

601 was visible today and 901 has not moved from its resting place with the P40 for years now.
 #1377504  by aem7ac921

Figured as such. Thank you.

Based on all of your great knowledge of this subject, do you believe that at least one more will survive the torch or is 915 the only one that will be saved? I do know that the Illinois Railroad Museum and the Danbury Railway Museum has given some indications in the past that they were interested in one. I understand this has been discussed before in previous topics, however, a large amount of time has passed since then and some more information may have come out.
 #1377523  by ApproachMedium

Considering that the rest of the DC units wont be cut up anytime soon due to the extreme low in metal prices and the lack of valuable metals in the units, i dont know why they havent gotten on it already. The only problem with transporting one to IRM will be the couplers. It must travel on a flat car or by truck since there is no alignment draft gear and the carbody has no way of replacing it with one since these use a special draft gear pocket and the car body does not have the room/strength or something to attach one.

The amtrak owned AC units will probably hang around in storage for ages as well.
 #1377604  by runningwithscalpels

Please do enlighten us on your apparent insider information about why the Danbury Rail Museum would want a toaster...