Railroad Forums 

• Windsor Locks CT Historic Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1351215  by Jeff Smith

Not really sure where to put this. Obviously, a station with New Haven heritage, passed on to Penn Central, and inherited and immediately disused by Amtrak. I think I'll start it here, then cross-post to PC and NH.

Anyway, some encouraging news: Hartford Courant
Historic Train Station To Be Given Second Life

Windsor Locks' historic train station, once an important part of day-to-day life in the town, has been sitting vacant on Main Street since the last ticket was sold at the station in 1971.

Now, after an effort by the town to acquire the building from Amtrak in 2014 and a fundraising push by a group of volunteers called the Save the Station committee, the station will be used again, likely as a shared workspace.

Built in 1875, the station was a hub for Windsor Locks residents looking to travel out of state or to Hartford for business or pleasure.
Amtrak still runs a track through Windsor Locks, but the stop is up the road on South Main Street. First Selectman Steve Warwick said there are plans to build a new train station near the historic station should the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield rail line be built.
More resources; this link in particular should probably be part of the Saddest Station thread: Great American Stations - Windsor Locks

This Amtrak site shows the current sad station at WNL, which I used for several weeks when first moving to Hartford. Basically, a bus shelter. However, the site does a great job of talking about the old station, which apparently was used very briefly after A-Day; the building had previously been closed by Penn Central, used for MOW work only.

The station reservation web-site doesn't appear to have been updated yet: http://wltrain.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article is really unclear as to has Amtrak actually disposed of the station? But it has, according to the Great Stations web-site:
Ultimately, after years of consultation, it was determined that Amtrak, the town, and the WLPA could not come to a satisfactory agreement concerning the future use of the depot or the sale of the land, and in 2011 the preservation group dissolved itself. The town subsequently took on the task of negotiating a purchase or long-term lease of the historic structure, and in December 2014, the property was transferred from Amtrak to the town. Windsor Locks is working to rehabilitate the depot, which could include a visitors center, art gallery, community meeting space and shared work space.
 #1395990  by JWilson

Restoration, or at least stabilization of the historic Windsor Locks station has begun. Scaffolding surrounds the front, rear and roof of the old station. The first phase of the project appears to be repair/replacement of the roof. The dormers are being done first and I assume the rest of the roof will follow. I have seen no usable slates in the dumpster, perhaps they are all too far gone or the good ones are being saved somewhere.
The walls of the station are in terrible condition: some of the bricks are simply falling out due to the mortar between them having weathered away.
 #1395992  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Town of Windsor Locks formally closed sale on the station in 2014, so it's officially theirs not Amtrak's.

I saw an updated render last year on the station plan, but can't find it on Google today. Land-clearing on the strip north of the station to where Main St. curves has already begun, and they plan to redevelop the little strip mall and dilapidated warehouse on that curve into station parking and TOD. There's an existing CTransit bus stop (routes 905/915) there, and the parking area/kiss-and-ride allows for straight shot down North St. (where the bus routes go) straight to Bradley. I was pretty impressed at how well thought-out the renders were. Should be a superb upgrade from the current asphalt slab in the middle of nowhere.
 #1396020  by The EGE

2012 plans called for about what you're talking about as one option. The other would have added high-level platforms on the existing site near 91.

The previous iteration of station plans in 2004 called for the station to be rebuilt on the current site, with a parking lot on the west side of 159 and a hilariously long pedestrian bridge over 159. Thankfully a render of that monstrosity has been preserved for our amusement.