Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1447403  by STrRedWolf

dgvrengineer wrote:Looks like train 171 is dead in the water at Bealton, VA tonight (10/16).
Just heard on another site, they hit a car with a fatality. Cresent #19 also stopped now at same location.
Cresent just arrived in Charlottesville, probably to offload some passengers rescued from 171 and try to reaccomidate. 171 will be dead for another six hours until the tracks are cleared and inspected.
 #1447920  by quincunx

WAND- Suspicious man causes Amtrak train to be evacuated
LINCOLN, Ill (WAND) - The Lincoln fire department says all is clear after an Amtrak train was evacuated near Lincoln Friday morning when a suspicious package was found on the train. Authorities say a bomb sniffing dog did not find any explosives.
http://www.wandtv.com/story/36644462/po ... in-lincoln" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1447983  by SouthernRailway

Does anyone know the exact reasons why the northbound Crescent's on-time performance north of Atlanta is pretty bad? I have a trip coming up on it and didn't realize, when I booked the ticket, that the train is rarely on time, and often has huge delays. Is it due to freight congestion? If so, I see that in 2016, it was on time to the minute on and around Christmas Day; are there fewer freight trains running then, and so the Crescent would more likely be on time?

Thanks.
 #1448316  by mmi16

SouthernRailway wrote:Does anyone know the exact reasons why the northbound Crescent's on-time performance north of Atlanta is pretty bad? I have a trip coming up on it and didn't realize, when I booked the ticket, that the train is rarely on time, and often has huge delays. Is it due to freight congestion? If so, I see that in 2016, it was on time to the minute on and around Christmas Day; are there fewer freight trains running then, and so the Crescent would more likely be on time?

Thanks.
Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day - Amtrak is normally about the only trains running on the freight railroads.
 #1448551  by SouthernRailway

mmi16 wrote:
SouthernRailway wrote:Does anyone know the exact reasons why the northbound Crescent's on-time performance north of Atlanta is pretty bad? I have a trip coming up on it and didn't realize, when I booked the ticket, that the train is rarely on time, and often has huge delays. Is it due to freight congestion? If so, I see that in 2016, it was on time to the minute on and around Christmas Day; are there fewer freight trains running then, and so the Crescent would more likely be on time?

Thanks.
Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day - Amtrak is normally about the only trains running on the freight railroads.
Thanks; very helpful. Can I assume that on Christmas Eve, there wouldn't be much of any freight traffic, either?

I have been checking the northbound Crescent's performance from Atlanta through the Carolinas and it is consistently a few hours late. At least it's consistent, but I don't see how or why anyone between Atlanta and Virginia would bother; who wants to have to wait for a train, unexpectedly, from 11pm until 3am, for example?