Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1443664  by Gilbert B Norman

First I've learned of this:

https://m.amtrak.com/mt/www.amtrak.com/ ... 1655987969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Today when after my walk, I was talking with a neighbor at about 415P when here comes a "WB Amtrak". Going to Train Status was my first knowledge.

Apparently UP (or maybe Amtrak) would not allow an Overland Route detour.
 #1444202  by Plate C

I'm really more of a freight guy but had come in here previously because I was taking a long round trip Amtrak ride. Just curious what people's interest is in the timeliness of Amtrak- is it to hold them to their timetables, or the thought that something big or bad must have happened to delay them? I traveled the Lakeshore and Capital routes... I think all of the delays we encountered were basically us waiting on freight operations, mainly NS and CSX. The other day we lost somewhere around 30 minutes waiting for a CSX crew to take their train (per the Amtrak crew). Somehow they were able to make up the time and still arrive on time.
 #1444210  by Railjunkie

shlustig wrote:Does anybody know why #63 (12th) westbound Maple Leaf lost 2' 00" between NYP and Yonkers??
Amt engine 704 has fault,dynamic brake grid, and electrical issues. Some days she just dosen't want to play nice.

Had her for a round trip yesterday and she fought me the whole trip.
 #1444223  by STrRedWolf

Plate C wrote:I'm really more of a freight guy but had come in here previously because I was taking a long round trip Amtrak ride. Just curious what people's interest is in the timeliness of Amtrak- is it to hold them to their timetables, or the thought that something big or bad must have happened to delay them? I traveled the Lakeshore and Capital routes... I think all of the delays we encountered were basically us waiting on freight operations, mainly NS and CSX. The other day we lost somewhere around 30 minutes waiting for a CSX crew to take their train (per the Amtrak crew). Somehow they were able to make up the time and still arrive on time.
Amtrak tries to add some padding to their schedules, but if you're going off one long-distance train onto another right after, you're better off padding it overnight.

I can say on the Pennsylvanian, I've had one time where it went right in with zero delays and was an hour early at Pittsburgh (it's destination)... and one time where it was delayed a half-hour at Philadelphia 30th Street, made that up by Harrisburg, then got delayed and had to reverse over some interlocks to get around freight traffic to be... on time per the schedule.

However, as you've seen above, some trains are just delayed often. I'm looking at a Seattle-Chicago-Boston-Baltimore trip (three trains) and having an overnight stay in Chicago, and Boston's a weekend (MIT Flea Market).
 #1444229  by Plate C

Sounds like a nice trip but check your schedule. I thought about the Cardinal but it was listed as cancelled out this way. Then planned to take the Lakeshore round trip only to have service suspended SPG>BOS for the way back with bus instead. Switched to the Capital back only to have service suspended after New Haven with bus service instead. More or less locked up their Northeast service.
 #1444257  by bdawe

I see that track-a-train has the Zephyr rerouted over the Overland Route between Salt Lake and Denver?
 #1444259  by Backshophoss

CSX has a bad habit planning trackwork in the fall months on the former B&A mainline,and since there's no alt rail routing that's useable
(PAR's bad and slow tracks,knocks out the former B&M main,PAS not much better)forces Amtrak to go the bustation route for 448/449.
Amtrak and ConnDOT are in the process of returning a 2nd mainline track on the NHV-Springfield route,construction forcing bustation
for periods of time.
 #1444276  by Gilbert B Norman

Interesting to learn, Mr. Dawe.

As I previously reported here, #5 & 6 had a "delay en route" WB at Denver and EB at Grand Junction during the first half of this month. Now it appears they have simply rerouted via "legacy UP" or otherwise known as the Overland Route. A "Bustetoot" will serve the D&RGW stations.

But there's more; on Sep 23 to 29 it will be back to the delay en-route. Specific details, subject of course to instant and immediate change. are available at the website.

To those who had booked the Zephyr in the hope of seeing the Rockies and Glenwood Canyon, all I can say is "sorry bout that". But for fans who haven't been over the Overland Route, I think you will find it to be "an experience - even if from a partial view Sightseer with folk "not exactly" dressed in their "Sunday Best".