• Amfleet Replacement Discussion.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by BandA

At what point does metal fatigue become a problem for the Amfleet?
  by Matt Johnson

I've wondered this too, particularly with the last remaining Budd Heritage cars apparently hitting their fatigue limits.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Lest we forget that one 85XX H-Chow was an NYC built during 1947. For all I know, it could be "last man standing".
  by bdawe

The new Bombardier Innovia Metro 300 trainsets running in Vancouver have roughly waist-to-ceiling windows, and they really add something to riding through Vancouver suburbs on the Skytrain viaducts.

I could imagine how nice such large windows would be on intercity trains
  by AgentSkelly

You know, Talgo makes conventional sets too....however I think they are subcontracted thru CAF ha.
  by Backshophoss

Let's hope there's a rider onboard,so UP or CSX doesn't screw up the delivery,or screw up the set enroute. :wink:
  by Rockingham Racer

I thought the train would be longer, and there doesn't not seem to be a food service car. They all look identical to me.
  by electricron

Not initially. Food service cars should be on the train when the extension to Orlando is opened and the trains are extended to it. The initial segment, WPB to M doesn't need the additional cars because the trip is so short,
  by gokeefe

Cross posted from Brightline topic ...
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Come what may with AAF, Siemens has to be considered a player for an Amtrak "A-III" order.

While hardly an off the shelf copy, first for the narrower European width and of course FRA crashworthiness, it looks like the designers started with a proven European design:

http://travel.trainline.eu/wp-content/u ... orm-21.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I could hardly agree more. In a sense they've beaten everyone else who was "waiting patiently in line" for the NGEC spec. equipment order to the punch. I would be stunned if Amtrak doesn't issue the RFP in such a way that would allow Siemens to bid using the same design they've just sold to "All Aboard Florida" (FEC). If I were any of the other car builders I would be very nervous about the prospect of such a competent competitor coming to market as quickly as they did. They are crushing everyone across three major categories, diesel-electric engines, electric engines and now single level cars. How they lost to Alstom on the high speed trainset order is beyond me. Perhaps they were off on pricing. Nippon-Sharyo, Kawasaki, CAF and Bombardier should be nervous. I would also not want to be EMD or GE. If the Siemens engines prove themselves in passenger service I think its only a matter of time before we see a "freight edition" Charger offered to the North American market. I know that sounds like "crazy talk" but the other companies just cannot afford ignore this level of demonstrated competence. The only thing remaining now is to see how the equipment fares in active revenue service.
  by Matt Johnson

gokeefe wrote:They are crushing everyone across three major categories, diesel-electric engines, electric engines and now single level cars. How they lost to Alstom on the high speed trainset order is beyond me. Perhaps they were off on pricing.
Alstom has better tilt technology in addition to the political aspects of giving Hornell, NY the work. With Hornell sitting pretty with that order, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sacramento busy with next gen coaches in the near future.
  by Nasadowsk

gokeefe wrote: They are crushing everyone across three major categories, diesel-electric engines, electric engines and now single level cars. How they lost to Alstom on the high speed trainset order is beyond me.
Alstom has a great product, and facilities in NY state. No doubt there was some political maneuvering.
Nippon-Sharyo, Kawasaki, CAF and Bombardier should be nervous.
NS will recover. Maybe it was a manufacturing issue, maybe it was a bad model in the computer, maybe they just messed up. IIRC, the M-8s didn't do so well in their first crush test either. Kawasaki's still around...

Kawasaki's gonna be fine. CAF? The US market isn't too big for them, and it's mostly transit.

Bombardier? They have enough to worry about as it is. The C series is late and way overbudget (but supposedly an amazing plane - if anyone will buy it). they're having nothing but troubles in Canada and it looks like even the government agencies up there are getting a bit fed up. There's been on/off rumors of them just dumping railcars off on someone else (god, would ABB please show interest...), and they've lost a few high profile contracts in the US (Chicago's last round, Boston). Rumors are flying that they're not exactly on speaking terms with the NY MTA anymore, either...
I would also not want to be EMD or GE.
EMD? Who are they? Oh yeah, they built those DE/DM-30 disasters and the F59s. I don't think anyone cares about EMD anymore, and rumor has it the F-125 ain't looking so good, either.

GE? They're gonna have some competition, to be sure. But they should do ok.
If the Siemens engines prove themselves in passenger service I think its only a matter of time before we see a "freight edition" Charger offered to the North American market. I know that sounds like "crazy talk" but the other companies just cannot afford ignore this level of demonstrated competence. The only thing remaining now is to see how the equipment fares in active revenue service.
I think they'll be fine in passenger service. Siemens knows that hitting home runs now will pay off later when they try selling to the Class Is. Also,don't forget the LIRR's fleet isn't long for this world, and they're not in any mood to throw down third rail on the Port Jeff. I suspect that line will be diesel long after every other inch of track in the world is electric...
  by east point

Siemens certainly is looking good in the rail building business. Looks like they will have an inside track for future A-3, V-2-1/2, or V-3 cars. They probably will be very leary of any CAF designs.
It will be very revealing on how well the equipment holds up in service. Ease of operation and resetting the equipment by OBS is also important. As well The ease and quickness of repairing and replacing broken items is important. An example of poor design is the inability to reset CBs on some cars except from outside when train stopped. .