Railroad Forums 

• Rule 562 On Outer Tracks On The NEC

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1305624  by Lackawanna565

Some people told me today that the number one and four tracks got rule 562 installed on them between Ham and County. Been looking for some photos of the interlockings today. Nothing came up. I know Amtrak was going install rule 562 between those two interlockings. I'm surprised I didn't hear that they got this far along. I usually look for signal projects on lines I'm interested in.
 #1305649  by ApproachMedium

There is rule 562 EASTBOUND only on #4 track from Ham to Midway. From County to Midway all 4 tracks are now full 562 and two new interlockings were added for the NJ Transit new brunswick loop thing.
The 562 is a part of the High Speed Rail Improvement Project.
 #1305669  by Greg Moore

For those of us who aren't up on NORAC rules, can someone explain what 562 is?

What Googling I did wasn't overly enlightening.
 #1305674  by Railjunkie

NORAC 562: Movement of trains without fixed automatic block signals. Think the B&A and to a lesser extent MNRR

Interlocking and control point have signals and you will be governed by the indication displayed. There are no distant or automatic signals in use out side of the control or CP points. Cab signal will give the indication of the route ahead.

An example of such. Your zipping down the road and your cab signal dropped from clear to Approach Medium, get the train down to 45mph You get to the interlocking and it has a limited clear displayed proceed at limited speed until the entire train has cleared all switches then normal speed applies.

Example 2 Cab drops to Approach get train down to 30mph. you travel a nile or so and the cab picks back up to clear. Proceed at MAS. No way sides involved.
 #1305679  by Fan Railer

Greg Moore wrote:For those of us who aren't up on NORAC rules, can someone explain what 562 is?

What Googling I did wasn't overly enlightening.
I was able to Google this quite easily (NORAC book of rules tenth edition):
http://www.blet57.org/NORAC.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
562. Movements in Territory Where Cab Signals are Used Without Fixed Automatic Block Signals

The following requirements apply in territory designated by Timetable or Bulletin Order where cab signals are used without fixed automatic block signals. Rules 554 and 556 will not apply in territory where this rule is in effect.

a. Signal Indications
Interlocking and controlled point signal indications will govern movement within interlocking limits or through controlled points only. Distant signals, where in service, will govern approach to home signals. Between fixed signals, movement will be governed by cab signals.

If the cab signal and fixed signal do not conform when a train passes an interlocking or controlled point signal governing movement into or within Rule 562 territory, the more restrictive signal indication will govern movement through the interlocking or controlled point. Once the train clears the interlocking or controlled point, movement will be governed solely by the cab signal.

b. Reverse Movements
1. Reverse movement must not be made without verbal permission of the Dispatcher. Before granting permission, the Dispatcher must determine that the track to be used is clear of opposing movements, and must ensure that blocking devices are applied to protect against opposing movements.
2. Reverse movement must be made at Restricted Speed.
EXCEPTION: When the Engineer is on the leading end of the reverse movement and the cab signal aspect changes from Restricting to a more favorable aspect, the cab signal will govern. Speed must not be increased until train has run its length or 500 feet, whichever distance is greater.

c. Failure of Cab Signals
The movement of a train equipped with Cab Signals not in operative condition for the direction of movement is prohibited. The only exception is when failure occurs after the engine leaves its initial terminal. If the Cab Signal fails en route, the Engineer must take the following actions:
1. Notify the Dispatcher and Conductor as soon as possible without delay to the train. The reason and location of the failure must be included in this report.
2. Operate at Restricted Speed, unless governed by a “Clear to Next Interlocking” signal, or a Form D line 13 authorizing Rule 563.
3. Consider the failed apparatus as inoperative until the engine has been repaired, tested and found to be functioning properly.
The Dispatcher must inform the Dispatcher of the connecting dispatching district, division, or railroad of the train with inoperative Cab Signals. Conductors of trains approaching Rule 562 territory with inoperative cab signals must remind their Engineer of the requirements of item (2) above, when the train is 2 miles from the Rule 562 territory, or at the last station stop prior to the Rule 562 territory.

d. Failure of Speed Control and/or Automatic Train Stop, With Cab Signals Still Working
The movement of a train equipped with Speed Control or Automatic Train Stop not in operative condition for the direction of movement is prohibited. The only exception is when failure occurs after the engine leaves its initial terminal. If the Speed Control and/or Automatic Train Stop fails en route, but the Cab Signal remains operative, the Engineer must take the following actions: (If the Cab Signal fails as well, be governed by Part “c” above.)
1. Notify the Dispatcher and Conductor as soon as possible without delay to the train. The reason and location of the failure must be included in this report. 2. Do not exceed 40 MPH unless governed by a “Clear to Next Interlocking” signal or a Form D Line 13 authorizing Rule 563.
3. Consider the failed apparatus as inoperative until the engine has been repaired, tested and found to be functioning properly.

The Dispatcher must inform the Dispatcher of the connecting dispatching district, division, or railroad of the train with inoperative Speed Control and/or Automatic Train Stop.

Conductors of trains approaching Rule 562 territory with inoperative speed control or automatic train stop must remind their Engineer of the requirements of item (2) above, when the train is 2 miles from the Rule 562 territory, or at the last station stop prior to the Rule 562 territory.

e. Engineer Not on Leading End
A train operating with the Engineer on other than the leading end of the movement must operate at Restricted Speed, unless governed by a “Clear to Next Interlocking” signal, or a Form D line 13 authorizing Rule 563.

f. Wayside Cab Signaling Equipment Not Operative in Territory Without Fixed Automatic Block Signals
When the wayside cab signaling apparatus is removed from service by the Signal Department, trains with operative cab signals may be authorized by the Dispatcher to operate according to Rule 280a, “Clear to Next Interlocking.”

The Dispatcher must inform trains of the limits of the CSS outage, and the interlocking(s) where Rule 280(a) will be displayed. Trains must approach the interlocking(s) where Rule 280(a) is to be displayed prepared to stop. If Rule 280(a) is not displayed, trains must stop and contact the Dispatcher for instructions.

If Rule 280(a) cannot be displayed, trains must receive Form D line 6 (and line 2) substituting DCS Rules for ABS Rules, or Form D line 13 to operate at Restricted Speed to the next interlocking.
 #1305733  by Jersey_Mike

ApproachMedium wrote:There is rule 562 EASTBOUND only on #4 track from Ham to Midway. From County to Midway all 4 tracks are now full 562 and two new interlockings were added for the NJ Transit new brunswick loop thing.
Because reducing redundancy on a crowded corridor constitutes an "improvement".
 #1305746  by Lackawanna565

Is there any other benefits to rule 562 besides less wayside signal to maintain?
 #1305748  by cobra30689

Jersey_Mike wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:There is rule 562 EASTBOUND only on #4 track from Ham to Midway. From County to Midway all 4 tracks are now full 562 and two new interlockings were added for the NJ Transit new brunswick loop thing.
Reducing redundancy how???
 #1305803  by ApproachMedium

Jersey_Mike wrote:
Its a huge improvement, and for someone who doesnt work behind the stuff or deal with it every day Ill just shrug off your opinion but provide this info for others who actually want to know. The new system put in place here is the latest in the technology for high density high speed signaling. So far, I have seen zero issues with it when being on a train that follows another train. In the previous setup blocks were huge and following a train meant it had to get WAY ahead of you before you could stop getting hit by cab speed 80s, Approach medium 45mphs and seeing approach signals that keep slowing the train down while you are trying to keep your speed up. The new system does a pretty darn good job at keeping the trains moving, from what I have seen so far. Any other railroad employees who operate over the territory are welcome for their input on the subject and their experiences with it.

The two interlockings added have no switches yet, but will eventually have high speed crossovers for getting the princeton jct express trains in and out of the way, as well as a high speed means to get off the corridor and on to NJTs new brunswick transit village project, eliminating the slow wait of having 15mph trains going in and out of jersey ave. This is not there yet, but will be in the future. Also will be a switch for the west end of adams yard for work trains to get in and out without having to go all the way to the east end of the yard to go west.
 #1305853  by Fan Railer

ApproachMedium wrote:
Jersey_Mike wrote:
Its a huge improvement, and for someone who doesnt work behind the stuff or deal with it every day Ill just shrug off your opinion but provide this info for others who actually want to know. The new system put in place here is the latest in the technology for high density high speed signaling. So far, I have seen zero issues with it when being on a train that follows another train. In the previous setup blocks were huge and following a train meant it had to get WAY ahead of you before you could stop getting hit by cab speed 80s, Approach medium 45mphs and seeing approach signals that keep slowing the train down while you are trying to keep your speed up. The new system does a pretty darn good job at keeping the trains moving, from what I have seen so far. Any other railroad employees who operate over the territory are welcome for their input on the subject and their experiences with it.

The two interlockings added have no switches yet, but will eventually have high speed crossovers for getting the princeton jct express trains in and out of the way, as well as a high speed means to get off the corridor and on to NJTs new brunswick transit village project, eliminating the slow wait of having 15mph trains going in and out of jersey ave. This is not there yet, but will be in the future. Also will be a switch for the west end of adams yard for work trains to get in and out without having to go all the way to the east end of the yard to go west.
Burn much? :-D

But yea, this is definitely a much needed improvement for this section of the NEC. I presume high speed means #32.7 switches (good for 80 mph).
 #1305975  by 25Hz

So guess jersey ave is dead then, or is that going to get a proper 2 sided station? It's kind of a vital stop for people needing county office services....
 #1306055  by Silverliner II

Jersey_Mike wrote:Because reducing redundancy on a crowded corridor constitutes an "improvement".
Many European high speed lines (Eurostar included) do not use wayside signals at all, not even at interlockings, on the high speed routes. I read somewhere that the basic limit for seeing a wayside signal in the best conditions and having the appropriate reaction time maxes out between 150 and 160mph. But I digress. The European high-speed lines are totally in-cab signaling. It works the same way as cab signals here, except they give you speed codes instead. Using Eurostar as an example: when the speed code downgrades, you brake accordingly, and under certain combinations of how the speed is displayed (solid or flashing), you either brake until the displayed speed is reached, or you continue braking past the new displayed speed because another downgrade is coming in the next block or two. If diverting at an interlocking, you would be at the proper speed for the turnouts and route based on the display reading.

For stop signals, a "zero" code would appear, and that is the engineer's cue to have the train stopped prior to passing the next wayside marker (not always at an interlocking, but are signs indicating trains to stop at pre-determined locations spaced at intervals along the ROW). When the block ahead clears, the speed code will increase to the permitted speed based on track occupancy ahead and speed limit.

So 562 is not really eliminating any redundancy.
 #1306096  by zerovanity59

Silverliner II wrote:
Jersey_Mike wrote:Because reducing redundancy on a crowded corridor constitutes an "improvement".
Many European high speed lines (Eurostar included) do not use wayside signals at all, not even at interlockings, on the high speed routes. I read somewhere that the basic limit for seeing a wayside signal in the best conditions and having the appropriate reaction time maxes out between 150 and 160mph. But I digress. The European high-speed lines are totally in-cab signaling. It works the same way as cab signals here, except they give you speed codes instead. Using Eurostar as an example: when the speed code downgrades, you brake accordingly, and under certain combinations of how the speed is displayed (solid or flashing), you either brake until the displayed speed is reached, or you continue braking past the new displayed speed because another downgrade is coming in the next block or two. If diverting at an interlocking, you would be at the proper speed for the turnouts and route based on the display reading.

For stop signals, a "zero" code would appear, and that is the engineer's cue to have the train stopped prior to passing the next wayside marker (not always at an interlocking, but are signs indicating trains to stop at pre-determined locations spaced at intervals along the ROW). When the block ahead clears, the speed code will increase to the permitted speed based on track occupancy ahead and speed limit.

Redundancy is what the statement is about, not about speed or headway. I think what the comment is about is what happens when the in-cab signaling fails, which I image would fail more often then well maintained block signals.

Based on my reading of rule 562, if the cab-signals fail then the line reverts to a near standstill.
 #1306130  by ApproachMedium

zerovanity59 wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:

Redundancy is what the statement is about, not about speed or headway. I think what the comment is about is what happens when the in-cab signaling fails, which I image would fail more often then well maintained block signals.

Cab signals dont fail as often as you think. I know, I been fixing them for a few years.
Based on my reading of rule 562, if the cab-signals fail then the line reverts to a near standstill.