Railroad Forums 

• Station Developments

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1509643  by buddydog

charleston sc [ CHS ] the new station looks great! trackside is well lit and clean. they're not quite finished with construction. if they have a ceremony upon completion, i'll post some pics.
 #1510939  by gokeefe

Jacksonville (JAX) upgrades completed ...
The improvements at the Jacksonville station include: Compliant curb ramps and landings from new Americans with Disabilities parking to the station building; compliant path-to-transit drop off area; bollard mounted parking signage; and customer drop-off area.
 #1511200  by gokeefe

Nice to see progress there. I will be interested to see if there is a measurable positive impact on ridership. It's already a high volume location. I'm curious how much they are losing as a result of the station conditions.
 #1511235  by lordsigma12345

SPG - Springfield, MA - Amtrak relocated to the Union Station transportation center from their previous station building on June 6th. High level platform construction remains on track and should be complete later in the summer or in the early fall.

Articles below (Note there are some errors in both of the articles below):
https://www.masslive.com/news/2019/06/a ... weeks.html
https://media.amtrak.com/2019/06/amtrak ... n-station/
 #1511334  by STrRedWolf

gokeefe wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:40 pm Nice to see progress there. I will be interested to see if there is a measurable positive impact on ridership. It's already a high volume location. I'm curious how much they are losing as a result of the station conditions.
BWI's high volume mainly because of MARC and the two garages there. If there was a negative impact, it was mitigated when MARC made their own ticket machines and put them in the garages, so folks can go in, buy tickets there (instead of detouring to the AmTrailer station north of the rebuilt station), and then cross over to the southbound side.
 #1511343  by gokeefe

I was speaking of volume relative to Amtrak. Even then in that more limited scope it's still a major station. I've been through the old one many times. It's "not great" to put it lightly.
 #1511363  by STrRedWolf

gokeefe wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:06 pm I was speaking of volume relative to Amtrak. Even then in that more limited scope it's still a major station. I've been through the old one many times. It's "not great" to put it lightly.
Probably not much of an impact there. Lyft/Uber drivers tend to drop off at the curve where the AmTrailer is. I've ducked in a few times, and the load seems to be the same (although they moved some seating to the bridge itself).
 #1518149  by jerryhello

Does anyone know why they chose to reuse the roof/outer posts of the old BWI station building vs just starting from scratch? I can't imagine it would have saved that much money when you factor in the restrictions it placed on the new design?
 #1518204  by gokeefe

Enormous savings all around. No new foundation, minimal engineering and the permitting would have treated this as a "renovation" as opposed to a new build. It doesn't change ADA improvement requirements (they're well past the threshold of a "substantial rehabilitation") but it probably allowed them to access different sources of funding because it's not technically a "capital" project or "new structure". Could be something internal to Maryland's funding structures.
 #1518278  by Station Aficionado

I’ll post a link when I have access to my computer, but there was news about Petersburg that I didn’t see mentioned elsewhere on the board, and that had escaped my attention. Earlier this summer, it appears that the FRA and the commonwealth decided to pull the plug on a new station at Colonial Heights. Instead, the current Petersburg stop at Ettrick will remain and be improved. VRRPT envisions 5.7 million in improvements, although they’re hoping for an FRA grant (I don’t think they got anything in the most recent round) to cover about half the cost.
 #1518309  by rcthompson04

Paoli and Exton are both nearing completion of their respective projects. PennDOT is in the process of planning further improvements to Paoli and Ardmore is at the beginning of phase one.
 #1518346  by WhartonAndNorthern

La Plata, MO's ADA platform upgrades have been completed. It took a long time with weather delays and limited work hours (right next to Main 1 of the Transcon). One glitch: the west and central platforms were not extended as far as the east platform. BNSF's contractor built to print but not before raising the objection. They were told to follow the instructions. A new loading area for track 2 for the times #4 can't cross over has been built at the west end of the platform.

If you want to see what it looks like, switch between [ur=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz-oTqOaH0l]west [/url]and east cameras. Still some minor work going on so cams may be blurred during that time.

Ashland, VA (ASD) is about to undergo ADA upgrades. http://www.ashlandva.gov/567/Amtrak-Project