Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1534475  by mcgrath618

Aren't there (likely unfounded) rumors that Amtrak was getting EMUs for the corridor? If the problems with the Sprinters are wide enough, maybe the rumors aren't so pie-in-the-sky after all.

Also re: the SEPTA Sprinters: They pull 2 trains a day, and are inspected daily. I feel as if though the Sprinters are better suited for that environment than the one that they're in on Amtrak.
 #1534480  by rcthompson04

mcgrath618 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:20 pm Aren't there (likely unfounded) rumors that Amtrak was getting EMUs for the corridor? If the problems with the Sprinters are wide enough, maybe the rumors aren't so pie-in-the-sky after all.

Also re: the SEPTA Sprinters: They pull 2 trains a day, and are inspected daily. I feel as if though the Sprinters are better suited for that environment than the one that they're in on Amtrak.
Correct. The SEPTA Sprinters seem to be doing great in commuter service. When they were rotating units through the all day Push Pull train they weren’t having problems with the Sprinters breaking down as much as having cascading delay issues. I don’t see a ton of issues on the Keystone either, but I am not sure how often those units are rotated off that service.
 #1534485  by gokeefe

"Stuck" seems a little strong to me. This is good equipment that hopefully can be made better. They may be "Smokers" but if the history of the AEM-7 program is a guide there will be improvements in the future.
 #1534489  by David Benton

Seems to me its all coming down to maintenance , or rather matching the maintenance to the "duty cycle". The Amtrak diagrams aren't that demanding, they don't appear to do more than one round trip Boston-Washington a day. I have yet to see any evidence the European locos are doing less intensive cycles.
 #1534494  by ThirdRail7

USRailFan wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:38 am So will the ACS-64s now officially end up with the same fate as the HHP-8s (I.e. replaced as soon as possible)? Or are Amtrak stuck with them "for ever"?
8th Notch wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:01 am The HHP8s were different because they were a small fleet. Amtrak went all in on the ACS so they are going to be here for the long haul.
Additionally, the ACS fleet has something the HHP-8 fleet did not: A parts guarantee. This is why the engines may have a chance as the game runs long. You shouldn't have to worry about parts being unavailable for at least another 10 years. After that, I suspect it may be an issue...if they make it that long, since:
mcgrath618 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:20 pm Aren't there (likely unfounded) rumors that Amtrak was getting EMUs for the corridor? If the problems with the Sprinters are wide enough, maybe the rumors aren't so pie-in-the-sky after all.
This is something to consider. There is talk of purchasing a combination of EMU/DMU trainsets that will eliminate the need for additional diesel or electric locomotives. They aren't likely to appear and enter full service for 5 years at this point, so that will put the current electric fleet at 10 years.

David Benton wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:37 pm The Amtrak diagrams aren't that demanding, they don't appear to do more than one round trip Boston-Washington a day. I have yet to see any evidence the European locos are doing less intensive cycles.
What are "Amtrak Diagrams" and what are you using as a basis for comparison?
 #1534496  by David Benton

ThirdRail7 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:13 pm
David Benton wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:37 pm The Amtrak diagrams aren't that demanding, they don't appear to do more than one round trip Boston-Washington a day. I have yet to see any evidence the European locos are doing less intensive cycles.
What are "Amtrak Diagrams" and what are you using as a basis for comparison?
Just deducting from the timetable .
Not many trainsets could fit more then one roundtrip Boston-Washington , except maybe the Nite owl . Maybe the Was- NYP turns could do more mileage ???
 #1534499  by ThirdRail7

David Benton wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:24 pm Just deducting from the timetable .
Not many trainsets could fit more then one roundtrip Boston-Washington , except maybe the Nite owl . Maybe the Was- NYP turns could do more mileage ???
I'm sorry. I didn't realize you meant the schedule. I thought "diagram" meant you had some sort of "schematic" of the engines. :-D

You do have to remember, the infrastructure is ooooooold! These engines weren't built for 1874 tunnels and 1930's catenary lines. They had to modify the trucks to compensate for the terrain.

Another one took a 40-minute nap on a train this morning before it woke up and realized it still has some distance to go. At any rate, it is what it is.
 #1534503  by David Benton

Yes , sorry , Seems I am using European terms , and electrical engineering terms , that are different to American terminology.
A locomotive or train Diagram in Britain , is its daily , weekly or fortnightly schedule. I would say it comes from drawing them out in a linear fashion , on a graph similar to a train control time scale. It can be referred to as the number of hours a trainset does in a day, as I have said on here , some HST125 sets were on 20 hour diagrams , meaning the were scheduled to run 20 hours a day.
Possibly this is what Tadman is referring to as a duty cycle.
 #1534506  by amtrakhogger

The Septa Sprinters are or will be cream puffs like their meatballs. They barely break a sweat in service and most likely will have the
weekend off for 30 years.
 #1534513  by Backshophoss

SEPTA has trouble keeping the Push -Pull fleet up and running.
SEPTA had their share of problems keeping their Meatballs running.
Wonder how the CRRC cars hold up in service,when online.
 #1534519  by gokeefe

David Benton wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:28 pmA locomotive or train Diagram in Britain , is its daily , weekly or fortnightly schedule. I would say it comes from drawing them out in a linear fashion , on a graph similar to a train control time scale.
Pretty sure this is known as a "string chart" in North American railroading.
 #1534521  by gokeefe

ThirdRail7 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:44 pmYou do have to remember, the infrastructure is ooooooold! These engines weren't built for 1874 tunnels and 1930's catenary lines. They had to modify the trucks to compensate for the terrain.
How much of a modification? Extra suspension or something else?
 #1534565  by Tadman

ThirdRail7 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:44 pm
David Benton wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:24 pm Just deducting from the timetable .
I'm sorry. I didn't realize you meant the schedule. I thought "diagram" meant you had some sort of "schematic" of the engines. :-D
At one time, commonwealth countries literally had line graphs to show the interaction of trains. They were called diagrams. It's become slang for the schedule, priorities, and clearances in British-type places, IE UK, AUS, NZ. I don't hear it as much out of Canadians. The Argentines might use it as well as their entire railroad is heavily British influenced.
 #1535962  by CSRR573

Dont expect to see 625 on any trains soon, shes out back at southampton waiting for a main transformer replacement
 #1536746  by Pensyfan19

ApproachMedium wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:49 pm I call bs on the no results, the 4910 is always in service, i see it often and it seems like now there are at least 4 hhps in service every day. The last week i did not notice any acs-64s in marc service.
But just in case... (this was from another railroad.net discussion by the way) XD

http://www.hebners.net/Amtrak/amtACS/To ... arc618.jpg