Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1270557  by Fan Railer

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:
BuddSilverliner269 wrote:602 most certainly has a dent on the nose as I saw it in NYP when it came in on 92 after the hit.
I hate to say it, but that could be a problem with the 64's given the frequency of animal and human trespasser strikes on the NEC.
This is one of the many mods that still await the ACS-64s. It always amazed me how most people on this board overlooked the giant, gaping hole around the knuckle area as they rave about the new engine. Meanwhile, most employees shuddered and said "one good hit and this thing will be rendered un-towable.
Fan Railer wrote:So far today: 600 on 183, 601 on 125, 602 on 91, unknown # on LD train northbound out of DE @ 12:10 (maybe the Crescent).
Here's a riddle for you, Fan Railer: We've confirmed there are 5 units in revenue service...and you've found the 600, the 601, the 602 which total 3 units...and I stated the 605 is shopped in WAS which accounts for the 4th unit, how can it be an unknown number? Look hard because there is only one left.
Lol, yes. 603. Your humor is refreshing.

Also, 600 turned at WAS and came through WIL on 186. My day is complete.
 #1270562  by ThirdRail7

I'm glad you posted this picture Tadman. The dent is right above the coupler, but the real threat is area around the knuckle. As you can see, it is completely exposed. If you look towards the lower right of that area, you'll see the air lines. The angle cocks are just out of view. Until they are moved or the area is covered, this is a problem. All it will take is something to hit those airlines and you'll need a runaround hose to move it. This because they didn't come with the redundant angle cocks that field personnel requested...but engineering didn't request. Future engines will come with a shroud and the angle cocks are being moved.
Last edited by ThirdRail7 on Fri May 16, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1270572  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Dunville, last time we met up a few months ago at Miller's Pub, I thought you had a Bennie; and not a Rover.

However, Mr Third Rail has made his quite valid point that when one goes out and buys a $3M piece equipment, pre-acceptance testing is simply part of the drill.

On this point, I'm waiting to see someone Photoshop an image showing an UBER ride-share 'lips' on an ACS-64.

Finally Mr Third Rail, is that your daughter pouting for all the world to see?
 #1270590  by Tadman

ThirdRail7 wrote: As you can see, it is completely exposed. If you look towards the lower right of that area, you'll see the air lines. The angle cocks are just out of view. Until they are moved or the area is covered, this is a problem.
Hehe, sorry, MS Paint can only solve so many problems these days...
GBN wrote: last time we met up a few months ago at Miller's Pub, I thought you had a Bennie; and not a Rover.

Correct, I don't have Landie maintenance money laying around. They're nice, but they make the HHP8 look reliable. I'm fortunte my Bennie was designed before the DCX merger and is thus quite robust. We'll see if she hits 200k miles some day, but I have yet to crack 70k. City living, etc...
 #1270654  by David Benton

Tadman wrote:
Correct, I don't have Landie maintenance money laying around. They're nice, but they make the HHP8 look reliable.
I thought they went forever
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 271769.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clearly , the Europeans aren't used to having their trains hit things, with most row's fenced, and road crossings well protected.
 #1270810  by Toaster718

ryanov wrote:
Toaster718 wrote:Ryanov did u mean u saw the 607 at the Wilmington shops? Highly unlikely you saw the 607 at Bear.
You could be right. I thought it was Bear but I wasn't paying close attention to where we were -- just happened to look up and say "oh, look at that."
As mentioned lower Bear is not visible from the NEC, there is no catenary and they mainly deal with coaches at Bear.
 #1270811  by Toaster718

Matt Johnson wrote:
BuddSilverliner269 wrote:602 most certainly has a dent on the nose as I saw it in NYP when it came in on 92 after the hit.
I hate to say it, but that could be a problem with the 64's given the frequency of animal and human trespasser strikes on the NEC.
It's not a big dent
 #1270831  by ThirdRail7

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Finally Mr Third Rail, is that your daughter pouting for all the world to see?

Yes. She started pouting when I told her that these are brand new units and they can't operate to past NYP or operate in push pull service. When she said " If that's the case, you should have just turned the rest of the DCs into remans. You would have millions and had engines that are useable," I sent her to bed since I had no answers. :wink:
 #1270864  by 25Hz

Backshophoss wrote:It's reported to be a "software" glitch when changing to/from 25hz/60hz,that was mentioned a few pages back,
but seems to be vexing the factory techies big time for now.

Sorry, i'll get right on it........ ;)