Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1269880  by ThirdRail7

ACeInTheHole wrote:ThirdRail.. Usual routine with #607 and the Boston round trip running near train #2158 timingwise etc.?
Not quite. They are flipping the script and adding a little twist. The train will leave an hour later and is limited to 110mph, so I imagine they will handle it differently. The test train is going to have a little company on the rear. :wink:
 #1269890  by ACeInTheHole

ThirdRail7 wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:ThirdRail.. Usual routine with #607 and the Boston round trip running near train #2158 timingwise etc.?
Not quite. They are flipping the script and adding a little twist. The train will leave an hour later and is limited to 110mph, so I imagine they will handle it differently. The test train is going to have a little company on the rear. :wink:
Thanks ThirdRail. Appreciated, so an hour later than 2158? Also, I have a shot idea in mind for the Southbound return trip, so if you could provide me time info on that too, I would greatly appreciate it.
 #1269903  by ThirdRail7

ACeInTheHole wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
Thanks ThirdRail. Appreciated, so an hour later than 2158? Also, I have a shot idea in mind for the Southbound return trip, so if you could provide me time info on that too, I would greatly appreciate it.
You're not following the routine. The train usually leaves WAS at 815a and follows 2158 at NYP to BOS. If all goes according to plan, this time it is leaving at 9:15, following 2158 out of WAS. Since the test train is limited to 110mph, I'm sure 2158 will get a huge jump on it. I also don't know how they intend to dispatch the train. He'll have 184 right on his yellow boards. If he hiccups, they may hold hit.

As for the return, it is still supposed to depart on 2159's yellow boards, but the slower speeds will not allow him to stay close to 2159 for long.

My advice is do what people did for years before the internet: go out to the tracks and see what pops up. Maybe you'll be genuinely surprised.
 #1269909  by ACeInTheHole

ThirdRail7 wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
You're not following the routine. The train usually leaves WAS at 815a and follows 2158 at NYP to BOS. If all goes according to plan, this time it is leaving at 9:15, following 2158 out of WAS. Since the test train is limited to 110mph, I'm sure 2158 will get a huge jump on it. I also don't know how they intend to dispatch the train. He'll have 184 right on his yellow boards. If he hiccups, they may hold hit.

As for the return, it is still supposed to depart on 2159's yellow boards, but the slower speeds will not allow him to stay close to 2159 for long.

My advice is do what people did for years before the internet: go out to the tracks and see what pops up. Maybe you'll be genuinely surprised.
Yes ThirdRail.. I understand, as my finals have let out and I am officially on Summer vacation I intend to do just that, go out track side and catch stuff spontaneously. Thank you though, the shot I had in mind was from the top of a parking garage in the area here (not the Elizabeth one for those thinking such.) Hence why I wanted timing info for the Southbound run, with the framing idea i have in mind Ill literally only have a split second to get it, so i could have an idea on when to have the camera in position. If I get this shot I have in mind I will definitely post it here.
 #1269963  by Tadman

lirr42 wrote:Just a quick question, and forgive me if it is off topic, but what would the procedure be at this point if another agency (i.e. a commuter railroad) would want to order ACS-64's? Would it still be possible for another agency to add-on to the order, and if so, how would something like that work?
I think this is a great question. As a guy that's been in heavy equipment sales most of my life, I can shed a bit of light. The answer turns on a few questions, such as:
-is the production line still open?
-are there commitments in that factory space for other products once the current order is made (IE LRV's or other locos)
-is the product profitable?
-does the product still share enough components in common with other products that purchasing can get the needed materials? (IE at some point you have to stop making this design because the rest of the Siemens product line has moved on to different technologies)

It's a bit different than Chevy deciding how many Corvettes to make or McDonalds deciding how often to bring back the McRib.
 #1269969  by afiggatt

lirr42 wrote:More specifically, what could we expect SEPTA and MARC, who currently have AEM's/HHP's now, to express an intest in purchasing in the next few years? ACS-64's? ALP-46's? Or just more MU's/diesels?
I thought it was widely known here that SEPTA is seeking to purchase new electric locomotives to replace their AEM-7s along with new bi-level cars. Reportedly up to 12 locomotives to provide additional capacity. The purchase is in SEPTA FY15 capital budget, now that SEPTA has more funding to work with. Siemens would appear to be best positioned to win the contract as they will have an active production line building electrics through end of 2015 or early 2016. A SEPTA order could extend the production run with 12 ACS-64s configured for SEPTA's requirements.

MARC is moving away from electrics and is planning to go with an all diesel fleet. Despite the poorer acceleration and slower trip times.
 #1269981  by ApproachMedium

At least septa has the right idea to go with the ACS or even if they went with the ALP46 wouldnt be a bad idea. Marc going to all diesels is a huge step backwards but id imagine their reasoning is to keep the fleet so anything can go anywhere. If they had not purchased all of those MP36s and bought the ALP45 they could have something that truely goes everywhere but at the cost of them its not worth it. For the cost of one dual mode you can buy two or 3 diesel locomotives that will use less fuel and last longer.
 #1269994  by jackintosh11

Why would they replace electrics with diesels? The MBTA should get electrics for their NEC route, and SLE also needs to. Electrics are better all around, except for the flexibility issue, in which case they should get dual modes if they are concerned.
 #1270003  by Erie Limited

I saw what I think was the test train with 607 heading east today. It passed through North Elizabeth around noon...just as I was driving up to the station. The consist appeared to be three Amfleets and a Viewliner.

Rob
 #1270004  by runningwithscalpels

1.) I heard the MBTA doesn't want to pay Amtrak for power consumption. Dunno how true or not that is. Plus it's kind of wasteful to have electrics for so little electric territory - and that does *not* justify wasting money on dual modes. Besides, with all those new engines on the way, they're set for a while.
2.) Shoreline East needs to worry about finishing construction for bidirectional service before it worries about procuring electric equipment (I'll believe M8's are running on SLE when I see it - I think increased demand on MN will swallow up any "extra" cars CDOT has for SLE). NHHS *might* light a fire under someone's arse about this, but it's doubtful that will swallow up the reserves of their current equipment any time soon.
3.) It does seem stupid for MARC to go all diesel, but if it saves them money for fleet standardization, then who are we to judge?

And back on topic: What's the Sprinter on the Shoreline situation looking like for Friday? ;)
 #1270006  by 8th Notch

jackintosh11 wrote:Why would they replace electrics with diesels? The MBTA should get electrics for their NEC route, and SLE also needs to. Electrics are better all around, except for the flexibility issue, in which case they should get dual modes if they are concerned.
Think we beat the idea of the MBTA getting electrics to death already, it ain't happening.
 #1270026  by acelaphillies

jackintosh11 wrote:Why would they replace electrics with diesels? The MBTA should get electrics for their NEC route, and SLE also needs to. Electrics are better all around, except for the flexibility issue, in which case they should get dual modes if they are concerned.
Electric lcomotives also require different facilities/technitions to maintain them, plus diffent crews trained on them. While it is easy to look at a diesel train under wires and say to yourself, "that train should be electric. They have everything for electric service, all they need are the engines," you need to analyze the big picture. It is not as easy as it sounds, and it takes much more than just having wires over the tracks. Amtrak currently maintains MARC's fleet of electrics in Wilmington. While this setup works, it may be more efficient for a railroad to consolodate things. Maybe this was a factor in MARC's decision to go all diesel. If more things are done in house, if there is greater parts comonality, if there are more similar trainsets systemwide all of these things can lead to greater effeciency.