Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1226638  by ApproachMedium

No fights, just filling you in as best as I could. There is so much mechanical stuff that goes in to this crap I dont expect anyone who just watches them whiz by to know all about it. I been doing mechanical for 3+ years now and I do also try to keep up on the operating rules if I can that the crews must follow when stuff goes wrong so I can better understand what they did and why.

You know, knowledge has no value unless its shared with others. I believe in this whole-heartedly and I also believe education is the most powerful tool any human can come in contact with. :)
 #1226641  by 25Hz

Grey box... looks like something to test HEP loading or whatnot. You can't really put that kind of equipment inside a working revenue amfleet as there would be no place for the heat to go unless it was vented out a window.

The other thought is that it's delivering an electrical part from one area to another and fedex will start up its own electrified freight delivery service.... ;)
 #1226715  by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:No fights, just filling you in as best as I could. There is so much mechanical stuff that goes in to this crap I dont expect anyone who just watches them whiz by to know all about it. I been doing mechanical for 3+ years now and I do also try to keep up on the operating rules if I can that the crews must follow when stuff goes wrong so I can better understand what they did and why.

You know, knowledge has no value unless its shared with others. I believe in this whole-heartedly and I also believe education is the most powerful tool any human can come in contact with. :)
Yeah, I understand Approach. Thanks bud. The no fights thing wasnt targeted at you, it was a general clarifier so no one else gets down my throat and we dont get another ACS thread locked. Good mindset with the knowledge sharing by the way. On another note, anyone know where the #606 is?
 #1226769  by Tadman

Is power short enough that the railroad is considering running diesels Philly-Washington in certain cases, IE Silver service?

Also - that gon at BOS - perhaps the new 600's are preparing to haul their 900-series predecessors to the crusher... (I kid, I kid)
 #1226821  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

joshg1 wrote:I spotted this (602) at BOS about 9:30 on Halloween- http://www.flickr.com/photos/newmundane/10680399145 I didn't think much about the loco but the grey box in a gon struck me. I did not go over and ask what it was.
the AMTK gondola with the grey box inside is a hydraulic device to simulate hauling 14 car sets. Amtrak does not have 14 amfleets lying around, so the mechanical dept. rigged this device up to simulate 14 cars... I forget exactly how it was explained to me, can't remember if it has to do with the braking system or actual weight??? all I remember is it is being used to simulate a 14 car set

also, someone asked what rescued the 901...it was the 946?? I caught a glimpse of it quickly on Trk 10 @ South Station as I was heading out to my PVD local
 #1226842  by joshg1

How fast can that gondola go?
I wondered about that too, which is why I took the photos. Test train qua test train didn't surprise me, but how much of a test is 14 simulated cars at 40?
 #1226899  by Backshophoss

Believe the principal is along the lines of the drag sled used in tractor pulls to increase the load to a certain point, creating the "feel"
of dragging 14 cars behind the ACS-64,while 40 mph is slow,but still a good way to test.
 #1226909  by David Benton

Maybe its a electrical load bank to simulate the hep load of 14 cars. Seems to me using one car to simulate 14 cars weight would require dragging brakes that would result in wheel/rail wear.
 #1226954  by ApproachMedium

David Benton wrote:Maybe its a electrical load bank to simulate the hep load of 14 cars. Seems to me using one car to simulate 14 cars weight would require dragging brakes that would result in wheel/rail wear.
HEP Load bank is in the baggage car. Or at least it was supposed to be.