Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1509689  by mtuandrew

MattW wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:If Amtrak were to use those options, how simple would it be to build to the original Amtrak specs versus the reduced-power SEPRA specs? Same with the computer equipment, can it be backdated?
Isn't the reduced power just a software option?
I don’t know, but that would make sense.
 #1509696  by DutchRailnut

correct no change in any parts other than software.
 #1512664  by ThirdRail7

8th Notch wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:59 pm I don’t think anyone is implying that they will live a short life in this case, rather that things are going wrong that shouldn’t be at this stage of the game. This is more on Amtrak for lack of maintenance vs build quality (minus some of the cab defects that are already present.)
I am stating, I don't think they will make it as long as the AEM-7s, The GG1s and I'd be surprised if the make it as long as the Genesis fleet. If we're lucky, they will make it as long as the Acela sets,...just because of the parts guarantee. I can't remember the last time a calendar day went by without one if these things having a hard time.

Without counting the wrecked units, the shop count has hovered in the mid teens and that is just in time for guess what? The 5 year overhauls (that's right, some of them are 5 years old). When those units are added, it can lead to short turning and delays if things aren't running "right on the money." The spares have been eaten up.

I still shake my head when I think about the I.G. saying they ordered too many.
 #1512745  by 8th Notch

I sure hope the cab interiors get a refresh during the overhaul period, some of the control stands have taken a beating. I’m also noticing the pages sent out with some of them having issues or hiccups increasing. I’m wondering how much longer the hard resets over the road are going to be enough to bring them back to life. The ones with the software glitches drive me nuts when they get stuck in the no power brake several seconds after you’ve released the brake or the frequent blending disabled that pops up when you are trying to stop and the regen drops out or doesn’t and the brake cylinder decides to spike for no reason. I can still remember this past winter where they ran diesels out of Bos because of no spare electrics...
 #1512765  by Gilbert B Norman

Really Messrs. Eighth Notch and Third Rail, is it that bad?

Who am I to say to the contrary, but the ACS-64 was supposed to be the knock off of a proven design engine used extensively by both the DB and OBB.

I know and respect you both "do this stuff for a living", but somehow I don't think either of those State owned roads would accept those levels of availability you note.

So what do you think is going on; Siemens thought they could throw together a pile of parts with minimal QC (quality control) and force Amtrak to "take 'em or leave 'em", or are Corridor operating conditions so much more harsh and demanding on the engines than found on the European roads? Those engines operate into and within both Czechoslovakia and Hungary, where I'm sure there is still deferred maintence from the pre-'89 "bad old days".
 #1512771  by ExCon90

It may be that DB and OeBB have a higher and more intensive standard of maintenance, with the object of preventing failures in service, simply because their traffic density--and equipment turnaround--is such that they can't tolerate having a train go "dead in the road." I sometimes think there's a feeling over here that if you replace something before it fails you haven't gotten the most out of it.
 #1512773  by David Benton

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:37 pm Those engines operate into and within both Czechoslovakia and Hungary, where I'm sure there is still deferred maintence from the pre-'89 "bad old days".
From what I observed around that period, Hungary at least , and East Germany had good maintenance facilities, and practices. They were actually exporting equipment, albeit probably on price and trade deals. Certainly none of the minor fixes not been done as per Amtrak .
 #1512778  by gokeefe

Just "for the record" I traveled over both Czech and Hungarian railways in the late 90s. The Hungarians had just managed to get new rolling stock (probably from Siemens). The railroads in the East were clearly a step down from DB and OBB. Having traveled the length of the NEC several times I can comfortably say that Amtrak's Right of Way (WAS-NYP, NHV-BOS) is in far better condition. The signal system in particular is light years ahead of where the East Europeans were at the time (I recall seeing some wire operated semaphores).
 #1513054  by ThirdRail7

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:37 pm or are Corridor operating conditions so much more harsh and demanding on the engines than found on the European roads? T
I believe this is the major issue. They would probably behave a lot better on improves railroad. They have a relentless duty cycle as well so a large break between runs would probably help.

Electrics aren't diesels. It's not like they are shut down between runs.
 #1513755  by daybeers

gokeefe wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:07 pm Just "for the record" I traveled over both Czech and Hungarian railways in the late 90s. The Hungarians had just managed to get new rolling stock (probably from Siemens). The railroads in the East were clearly a step down from DB and OBB. Having traveled the length of the NEC several times I can comfortably say that Amtrak's Right of Way (WAS-NYP, NHV-BOS) is in far better condition. The signal system in particular is light years ahead of where the East Europeans were at the time (I recall seeing some wire operated semaphores).
Do you know where the countries stand with rail now?
 #1513879  by David Benton

Been meaning to do just that , been a bit tied up watching World cup cricket ( a game I usually describe as similar to watching grass grow).
Go the Kiwis in the final tonite !
Eastern European trains , then and now.
https://www.railroad.net/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=169961
 #1524994  by CNJGeep

606 has received a Coca-Cola Holiday Wrap. Currently on #20 Track in DC.