Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1532992  by Gilbert B Norman

lordsigma12345 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:21 pm Based on some information on another board, two diners have been assigned to “concept prototype” service. Whatever concept it is could be the future for these cars.
Mr. Lord, reviewing material at another site posted last month, the two "concept Diners" so assigned are one in "Washington" (station or Ivy City, not reported) and one at Bear. The "Wash" is probably the "sandbox" in which the boys and girls play "I'm the king of the castle" and the one at Bear is where the work gets done.

I'm speculating that maybe the plan is to first "play around" in the WAS car, decide what they want, first rebuild total of six cars, and assign them to 91-92, Silver Star. But then what a bureaucracy plans today is not what they do tomorrow. However, the biggest concern I would have is that the day they commit to rebuild all twenty five cars is the day the edict comes down to restore full-service dining system-wide.

One car, yes only one, is assigned to a Positive Train Control test train traveling about the system (BMT, Beaumont, TX, is where it was to be reported). None are reported on axle service; four are reported at Hialeah, which I would think is a normal amount to have at the assigned maintenance base.

All others in revenue or end point protect service.

But all told, the reports of eleven some cars "sunning themselves" at Hialeah appear unfounded.

Finally, regarding Mr. East Point's immediate, four cars: two on the road in consists, but two more as NYP/SSY and CHI (wish I knew the facility code for Lumber St) protects.
 #1533242  by Matt Johnson

Rockingham Racer wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:23 am
jp1822 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:52 pm
Alphaboi wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:50 pm Does anyone know when the Viewliner II sleeps will start to enter service and on which routes?
That’s the million dollar question we are all waiting for!!! It would also be nice if Amtrak deployed more than just the 11 Viewliner Diners - aka Sleeper Lounges (14 Production + 1 Prototype could be deployed!). Beautiful cars with no assignments!
Apparently, 91/92 are getting them next May.
Anyone here know if the bag dorms on the Crescent and Cardinal are accommodating paying passengers, or strictly crew?
 #1533251  by gregorygrice

Matt Johnson wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:27 pm
Rockingham Racer wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:23 am
jp1822 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:52 pm
Alphaboi wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:50 pm Does anyone know when the Viewliner II sleeps will start to enter service and on which routes?
That’s the million dollar question we are all waiting for!!! It would also be nice if Amtrak deployed more than just the 11 Viewliner Diners - aka Sleeper Lounges (14 Production + 1 Prototype could be deployed!). Beautiful cars with no assignments!
Apparently, 91/92 are getting them next May.
Anyone here know if the bag dorms on the Crescent and Cardinal are accommodating paying passengers, or strictly crew?
Strictly crew.
 #1533297  by Gilbert B Norman

jp1822 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:52 pmThat’s the million dollar question we are all waiting for!!! It would also be nice if Amtrak deployed more than just the 11 Viewliner Diners - aka Sleeper Lounges (14 Production + 1 Prototype could be deployed!).
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:37 amReviewing material at another site posted last month, the two "concept Diners" so assigned are one in "Washington" (station or Ivy City, not reported) and one at Bear. The "Wash" is probably the "sandbox" in which the boys and girls play "I'm the king of the castle" and the one at Bear is where the work gets done.

One car, yes only one, is assigned to a Positive Train Control test train traveling about the system (BMT, Beaumont, TX, is where it was to be reported). None are reported on axle service; four are reported at Hialeah, which I would think is a normal amount to have at the assigned maintenance base.

All others in revenue or end point protect service.

But all told, the reports of eleven some cars "sunning themselves" at Hialeah appear unfounded.
Mr. JP, from the compilation I reviewed at "another site" and for ready reference, summarized here within a quote, it appears the V-II Diners are fully assigned. Four cars at their home maintenance base is "par for the course".
 #1533380  by ApproachMedium

Crew dorms would only be used for kitchen staff, coach attendants, the cafe attendant etc. id imagine with the lack of ah hem, kitchen staff they could use those extra sleepers for passengers, or better yet... employee pass riders so they do not occupy rooms in the regular cars. Employees pay for sleepers, but with a little discount i think.
 #1533430  by Gilbert B Norman

So let's see; based upon Mr. Johnson's immediate:

19-20 Crescent. four in consists.

50-51 Cardinal, two in consists

Protects @ NYP, CHI. Total eight.

Eight on hand; sounds fully assigned to me. Whenever the final two make the scene, that's your reserve for "heavies".

All told, good as you'll get; this is a bureaucracy, and not Southwest Airlines.
 #1533447  by Backshophoss

1 Bag/Dorm is used on the Charger testing consist,last run on a roundtrip testing 2 ILDOT Chargers on the Empire Builder,Coast Starlight and CZ routes.
 #1533468  by Tadman

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:19 pm
Mr. JP, from the compilation I reviewed at "another site" and for ready reference, summarized here within a quote, it appears the V-II Diners are fully assigned. Four cars at their home maintenance base is "par for the course".
Indeed, today when I left MIA northbound on the Meteor, there were three sitting on a house track by some PV's, perhaps another 1-2 in the yard, and one on our train. I had some leftover treats from dinner last night at Versailled ("The world's most famous cuban restaurant") for breakfast at my coach seat, so all I needed was a coffee in the cafe while I worked on my laptop.

Tell you what, that A-2 cafe rattled like the Millenium Falcon at light speed transporting a cargo of snare drums and old coffee cans with a lot of nuts. "CMON CHEWIE SEE IF YOU CAN TIGHTEN SOME OF THAT STUFF DOWN!!!"