Railroad Forums 

• Texas Eagle Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1346522  by bratkinson

It's interesting that an airline pilot would want to travel at 'see level' (old Amtrak commercial). 30+ Years ago, I used to fly a couple times per month on business and was truly stunned the first time I took the train through the Rockies (San Francisco Zephyr). Those 'little dimples' seen from 30,000 feet are actually quite huge! I was raving about how big they were to some of my friends and one of them said 'You have to see the Canadian Rockies.' They were soooo right! I now know what an ant in downtown Manhattan feels like! I'd definitely add a trip through the Rockies to your bucket list!

In answer to your questions, I typically travel with a roll-on airline overhead bin size bag (23x13.5x8.5) and a black 'gym bag' when I'm traveling for liesure. For those times I need to have a suit and tie, the garment bag substitutes for the gym bag. Either way, everything fits very nicely in a roomette. The roll-on fits nicely under the seat, although when the lower bed is made up, access is nil. If your roll on doesn't fit, sometimes removing a couple of items to make it compress a bit will do the trick. I had to do that a couple of times. If need be, on the lower level is a substantial shelf area that can hold the biggest of bags except, perhaps, a steamship trunk, although that might fit on the floor level of the shelf area.

The steps to the upper birth becomes the resting place for my gym bag with all my 'need access' items, including camera. Depending on whether you draw a Superliner I or Superliner II sleeper, there will be a 6" wide closet in the room in the Superliner I, or a substantial hanging hook with strap to secure what's hanging to the wall in the Superliner IIs.

In my opinion, the lower level roomettes (11-14) are better than upper level simply because there is less traffic by my door. Yes, the view outside is somewhat restricted compared to the upper level, but I can always go the door area and look out both sides or go upstairs and do the same. Additionally, alongside roomette #1 (usually the attendants' room) is a toilet. It gets almost ALL the traffic from the 10 upstairs roomettes and perhaps from other cars as well. That means the floor will frequently be wet. There's 3 toilets and a community shower downstairs at the opposite end from the roomettes. Far less traffic. Also, the top level of the car sways more than the lower level, another reason I prefer the lower level. As for 'middle of the car', roomette #2 is is close to the middle as one can get, but the upstairs toilet is 5 feet away and sometimes the door gets slammed shut. When I ride on the upper level, 3-6 is my preference. 9 & 10 are at the very end of the car, and the train door opening and closing can become annoying as is a rougher ride over the trucks (10 feet below). One other advantage of a lower...I can clean the outside of the window at longer stops if the platform is on my side!

Long rest stops...Ft Worth, Dallas and St Louis come to mind. If the train is reasonably on time, there's at least 20 minutes at FTW and DAL. As they add 1 or 2 cars at STL northbound, there's at least 20 minutes to stretch your legs. However...if the train is running late, FTW and DAL as well as any other 'longer' stops will have shorter dwell times. It's always a good reason to stay on the platform as when they call 'all aboard', you can get on any where and walk through the train to your car, if needed. In years past, I was maybe 50 yards away when they called 'all aboard' and it took a full sprint to get on before they closed the nearest door!

Other than that, have a good trip! I typically sit back and spend most of my time watching out the window. The seats in the roomette recline nicely and I can put my feet up and be extra comfortable when I want to.
 #1346670  by UnitedCapt

Wow! Thanks for the excellent responses bradkinson and Bob Roberts. Looking forward to the alone time and the two days of reading and gazing out of the window. Being the nerd I am I walked over from my house to the Austin station two nights ago to watch the Southbound arrival/departure (it was running over an hour late....). Ive built a lot of slack into my schedule given the lack of on-time trains lately. I'd hate to have a flight delayed due to a rail delay.....that would be hard to explain to my employer/passengers given my access to free air travel. I can see it now..."I'm sorry sir (Chief Pilot/ORD) but my train was late!." "But I thought you lived in Austin?"... "Yes sir, but I took Amtrak to work this time..."... " You what?"....

Thanks again,

UnitedCapt
 #1347968  by mustangthz

Your meals will be included if you're in a sleeper. I did that very same trip a few months ago...if memory serves me you will get breakfast/lunch/dinner on the first day. Then breakfast/lunch on the second. The food is meh, but it's included in the fare. There isn't many other options other than the cafe below the dining car, it has chips/doughnuts/etc.

You'll have no problems with getting your bag in the room if you're flying solo. You can put the top bunk down and put it up there (you can't see out of it). Then have the attendant put your seats together for your bed.

The scenery on the eagle isn't fantastic, but you go through some neat areas. We spent most of our time in the lounge car playing games. It was a fun trip and well worth the time.

Looking forward to doing the EB next year!
 #1351138  by Balerion

Update on this project
The proposal to move Amtrak to a faster set of tracks became a bargaining chip in negotiations among several railroads and numerous local and federal agencies to build another commuter rail line, known as TEX Rail, from downtown Fort Worth to Grapevine and Dallas/Fort Worth Airport.

Union Pacific was asked to allow TEX Rail to build tracks on two miles of UP property near the Fort Worth Stockyards, and UP officials said they would allow the move if TEX Rail advocates would help get Amtrak off their main east-west line through Dallas, Arlington and Fort Worth.

In return, TEX Rail advocates hatched a plan to move Amtrak to the TRE line, which included double-tracking an area that had only one set of TRE tracks. Also, the Fort Worth Transportation Authority, known as the T, had to buy a $21 million insurance policy to indemnify Amtrak from liability in the event someone was killed or injured on the TRE tracks.

Those negotiations are very close to being completed, said Bob Baulsir, T vice president for TEX Rail and procurement.

“We are on good terms with Amtrak and simply letting the legal folks wordsmith the agreement,” Baulsir said in an email. “I expect it will be signed in the coming weeks.”
 #1362150  by Station Aficionado

The Eagle has landed (on the TRE).
Amtrak has successfully concluded negotiations and changed the route of the Texas Eagle train between Fort Worth and Dallas. There are no missed stops or public schedule changes at this time for the daily service of Trains 21 & 22 between Chicago and San Antonio via St. Louis; Little Rock, Ark.; Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin, Texas.

“This change puts Amtrak Texas Eagle passengers on a better route shared with Trinity Rail Express (TRE) commuter trains and avoids the freight train operations that were challenging our trains every day on the previous routing,” said Mark Murphy, Amtrak Senior Vice President and General Manager of the business line that includes the Eagle. “This route simplifies our movements through the Fort Worth Intermodal Transportation Center and will improve reliability for more than 100,000 Amtrak passengers who use our Fort Worth gateway every year.”
 #1362325  by electricron

They could with a newer agreement, they already do during the UT-OU Red River Rivalry weekend, but the existing agreement limits Amtrak to just a few more trains per year than the daily Texas Eagles. The Heartland Flyer arrives hours before both Eagles, and departs Fort Worth hours after both Eagles. The intermodal station at Fort Worth is very nice and comfortable. There's plenty of tracks in Fort Worth to accommodate maintenance on the Flyer, there really isn't much room to perform maintenance on the Flyer in Dallas.
Although maybe up to half the distance between Dallas and Fort Worth may be double track now, it's still mostly single track. Extending the Flyer to Dallas and back to Fort Worth could place it in the path of both Eagles,delaying all the Amtrak trains, and delaying even more midday TRE trains as well. You can only run so many trains a day over single track. ;)
 #1362535  by emtpjimd

Question.....is the rail speed limit still 30mph through Irving? When I lived down there the TRE had to creep through Irving...but got to sail through Dallas. With the line through Irving mostly all straight and (at the time) in decent shape it seemed like more of an impediment than anything.
 #1362543  by electricron

How long ago was that? Much the tracks in western Irving has been replaced with a new double track viaduct. Unlike the DCTA tracks which replaced all the tracks before starting up, the TRE used what was already there and has been replacing and adding tracks piecemeal.
 #1384077  by Balerion

Apologies if I missed an all-encompassing Texas Eagle thread, but this seems to be the closest thing.

The train is adding a stop in Arcadia, MO, which would fall between St. Louis and Poplar Bluff.

http://dailyjournalonline.com/news/loca ... 972f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Arcadia Valley residents finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel Saturday and it was affixed on the front of an Amtrak diesel locomotive that community leaders anticipate will be making regular passenger stops there by the end of summer.

While there wasn’t an actual locomotive on hand this weekend at the old train station that now serves as the home for the AV Chamber of Commerce and historical museum, there is little doubt that everyone attending the groundbreaking ceremony for the train passenger platform could see and hear it chugging down the tracks in their minds.
 #1406135  by electricron

Great news! Make another post when the official grand opening day is announced.

I've rode the Texas Eagle many times and have always wondered why there was no stop in this area so close to St. Louis.

And it's interesting to note all the private enterprises springing up around the train and station that will see just two trains a day. I hope they all succeed at making a profit and providing good jobs to many folks. This is a great example how governments (federal, state, county, and city) should work together to plant seeds to unleash private enterprises. Although some may respond and use this as an example of government waste and pork, in this case they would be wrong.
 #1409031  by StLouSteve

After many years of discussion and hard work by lots of folks, the Eagle has a new stop in Missouri between St Louis and Poplar Bluff in Arcadia. There is an old MoPac Station there and the area is a gateway to great camping, fishing and hiking in the Ozarks. Unfortunately the times are not ideal, but that is the situation nationwide when there is only one train a day on our long distance network.