Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak adds Acela RT - Nightly Premium Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1130375  by Woodcrest295

just saw this posted online..

Fans of Amtrak’s Acela service, take note: The rail agency announced Monday that it plans to add another trip in each direction between New York and Washington.
The new trips, which begin service on Jan. 28, will cater to a crowd that needs to travel at night. Train 2128 will leave Union Station in Washington at 8 p.m. and head north to New York, arriving at 10:45 p.m. And train 2175 will leave Penn Station in New York at 9:15 p.m., arriving in Washington at 11:59 p.m.
These trains will also stop in Baltimore, Wilmington, Philadelphia and Newark.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr- ... la-routes/

seems like a no brainer to me
 #1130434  by Tadman

Given that this new train leaves an hour earlier from WAS than 66, and leaves NYP for WAS at a palatable time (rather than 3a) could it be Amtrak's attempt to bring back late premium services in lieu of a sleeper on 66/67? It makes a bit more sense, as adequately serves NYP and WAS in both directions and the economics of an all-chair trains are way better than an sleeper. Further, it relieves 66/67 of timekeeping pressure and allows it to be more of an equipment shuttle and late night local. Food for thought.
 #1130465  by Arlington

7:10p was too early for a last "back on the same day" option from Washington--not really time to finish a 5:30 dinner and get to the station. I am sure the 8:00pm Northbound will do very well, slotted near-exactly between 188 and 198

WEEKDAY NORTHBOUND

Acela 2126 Dp WAS 7:00p Ar NYP 9:48p
NEReg 188 Dp WAS 7:10p Ar NYP 10:34p
Acela 2128 Dp WAS 8:00p Ar NYP 10:45p *New
NEReg 198 Dp WAS 8:45p Ar NYP 12:10a
NEReg 66 Dp WAS 10:00p Ar NYP 1:50a

In a similar way, I see they've slipped in the southbound 2175 just in time to say "the train will have me back to DC same day", which is probably an important psychological consideration in marketing this new train. And I guess they're counting on riders going home by taxi, since they just miss the last trains of WMATA's Red Line (Mo-Th, the last train from Union Station to Metro Center goes at 11:59, and to Glenmont goes at 12:11) Fridays, with service 'til 3am, the trip home can be by rail ;-)

WEEKDAY SOUTHBOUND

Acela 2173 Dp NYP 8:20p Ar WAS 11:10p
NEReg 187 Dp NYP 9:05p Ar WAS 12:25a
Acela 2175 Dp NYP 9:15p Ar WAS 11:59p *New
NEReg 177 Dp NYP 10:05p Ar WAS 1:25a
NEReg 67 Dp NYP 3:00a Ar WAS 6:57a
 #1130515  by 25Hz

Tadman wrote:Given that this new train leaves an hour earlier from WAS than 66, and leaves NYP for WAS at a palatable time (rather than 3a) could it be Amtrak's attempt to bring back late premium services in lieu of a sleeper on 66/67? It makes a bit more sense, as adequately serves NYP and WAS in both directions and the economics of an all-chair trains are way better than an sleeper. Further, it relieves 66/67 of timekeeping pressure and allows it to be more of an equipment shuttle and late night local. Food for thought.
That late at night there really isnt much running in terms of transit trains on the corridor. When the acela replacements arrive, i suspect another pair of trains to be added to round out the day.
 #1130522  by Arlington

Woodcrest295 wrote:the acelas dont just serve NY and DC but Philly and Baltimore too
True, but BAL and WIL are much smaller markets, so they're not going to wag the dog. And PHL, given shorter trips, is always happy for a new train, but really doesn't feel much difference between another NEReg and another Acela.

Starting at WAS and going North, all markets along the line are happy to have another option (of either kind) at 8:00 because it fills the WAS-departure gap between a 7:10 and an 8:45. Starting in BAL, WIL or PHL, and going North to NYP, its then the New Yorker's desire to be "home by 11" (from any of WAS/BAL/WIL/PHL) that can be said to be driving the need for an *Acela*

It works the same the other way, too. Getting back to WAS by 11:59 ("home before midnight") is uniquely attractive to Washingtonians, whether returning from PHL or NYC (but less urgent or large a market from WIL, and even smaller and less urgent from BAL). Similarly, an Acela departure from NYP at 9:15, when there's already a NEReg at 9:05 is not a big "win" for someone from PHL, and therefore cannot be the market-justification for adding an Acela.

Its the unique demand and trip characteristics at the endpoints that are driving this.
 #1130529  by afiggatt

Arlington wrote: In a similar way, I see they've slipped in the southbound 2175 just in time to say "the train will have me back to DC same day", which is probably an important psychological consideration in marketing this new train. And I guess they're counting on riders going home by taxi, since they just miss the last trains of WMATA's Red Line (Mo-Th, the last train from Union Station to Metro Center goes at 11:59, and to Glenmont goes at 12:11) Fridays, with service 'til 3am, the trip home can be by rail ;-)
The 2175 is an extended #2193 which departs BOS at 5:20 PM, arrives NYP 8:59 PM. The 2175 will still depart BOS at 5:20 PM, but will now continue south of NYP. Provides for BOS, PVD to PHL, WIL trips for the business crowd departing after the end of the work day. The monthly reports have been noting increases in the through NYP market with BOS-PHL up +91% in the September 2012 report. The #2175 is obviously going after that market, not just the NYP to PHL, WIL, WAS set.

It would be interesting to get stats on how many passengers are still on the #2175 after it gets established when it reaches WAS at midnight with the station vendors closed and the Metro rolling up the carpet. Probably not that many, but still the taxis will see a boost in business at midnight.

[edit: fixed sentence structure]
Last edited by afiggatt on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1130535  by Arlington

afiggatt wrote:The 2175 is an extended #2193 which departs BOS at 5:20 PM, arrives NYP 8:59 PM. The 2175 will still depart BOS at 5:20 PM, but will now continue south of NYP. Provides for BOS, PVD to PHL, WIL trips for the business crowd departing after the end of the work day. The monthly reports have been noting increases in the through NYP market with BOS-PHL up +91% in the September 2012 report. The #2175 is obviously going after that market, not just the NYP to PHL, WIL, WAS set.
Good point. BOS-PHL has been good recently, in part because air became less attractive when Southwest pulled out in Feb 2012. In Sept 2011, Southwest was flying BOS-PHL and USAir was matching. (Southwest flew it from June 2010 to Feb 2012, so if that Amtrak Sept 2012 number is Year-over-Year, you're seeing them recapture the market after Southwest's pullout). +91% is the kind of growth you see when the alternative is a air-monopolist's $500 nonstop r/t (vs half that with a low cost air competitor).

I'd expect, though, to see a big (~40%) hit to Amtrak in the BOS-PHL market when JetBlue starts BOS-PHL 5x in May 2013(and US Air will again be forced to cut prices and increase capacity).
 #1130546  by ExCon90

Anyone know whether 187 will come off when 2175 is instituted? Or will it continue in approximately that time slot for passengers not wanting to be forced into Business Class?
 #1130550  by afiggatt

ExCon90 wrote:Anyone know whether 187 will come off when 2175 is instituted? Or will it continue in approximately that time slot for passengers not wanting to be forced into Business Class?
Using the Amtrak reservation system to check the new schedule, #187 is moved to a 9:20 PM NYP departure, 12:35 AM WAS arrival (from the current 9:05 PM NYP departure). So it stays in the schedule, but leaves after the Acela, presumably so as not to get in the way. With the high Acela ticket prices, there are lot of people who will take the NE Regionals instead, including those on an expense account.
 #1130733  by CSX Conductor

I wish they would extend #2122 to Boston as #2174 because as stated above, a 7pm last Acela stinks. I honestly believe an 800pm departure out of NYP would produce good numbers since #178 leaves at 745pm and stops everywhere, reaching Bos shortly after midnight.
 #1130739  by ThirdRail7

CSX Conductor wrote:I wish they would extend #2122 to Boston as #2174 because as stated above, a 7pm last Acela stinks. I honestly believe an 800pm departure out of NYP would produce good numbers since #178 leaves at 745pm and stops everywhere, reaching Bos shortly after midnight.

A good idea, but we'd need something back. For all Arlington and Afigatts numbers, 2175 isn't really desirable. That train is a throw away for balancing 2128.

My prediction is eventually 2128 will make a stop at MET and 2175 will make a stop at BWI. Otherwise, I see them tanking (except on MON and FRI) and dragging 198 down with them just like before.