Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Great Dome Schedule Sightings Status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#370308  by jhdeasy

CarterB wrote:What was the car diagram of the Moonlight Dome (configuration)? What is the status of it today and where?
MOONLIGHT DOME is stored at Lancaster & Chester Railway's passenger car facility in Lancaster SC. It has been there since autumn 2005, after completing a long period of work at 2 shops in the Milwaukee area.

The current owner (FBX Aviation) has contracted with L&C Railway to do some work on the car. A new Stadco diesel generator syetm has been ordered to replace the old generator. The car will get new toilets, either Microphor or Headhunter. The car needs some interior cosmetic and mechanical work.

It has a valid Amtrak PC-2 "40 year" inspection, but will need a new Amtrak PC-1 annual inspection.

Interior configuration ... the 3 master bedrooms are relatively unchanged ... 2 beds side by side in each room, parallel to the rails ... area under the dome is now a crew bedroom, shower and a kitchen ... short end is a dining area with bar and Tiffany style ceiling ... roomettes were removed for the previous owner (Wynchester Mining Co) ... upstairs area has been stripped pending the owner's new design for the area under glass ... the owner is considering some design options to increase sleeping capacity.

If all goes well, you may see the car operating in the four 2007 New River Trains this October ... a most appropriate place for a Chessie dome.

#370309  by CarterB

Ah! Thanks for the info. Would be nice to see back in service. Will Amtrak still allow it to operate under catenary?

#370345  by pennsy

Yo Fellas,

The most sought after railcar to be purchased for an individual owner, or a private corportation owner is a Dome car. Just a helpful hint for someone who not only has an interesting hobby and interest, but a deep pocket.

#370655  by jhdeasy

CarterB wrote:Ah! Thanks for the info. Would be nice to see back in service. Will Amtrak still allow it to operate under catenary?
Yes ... MOONLIGHT DOME ran underneath the catenary Harrisburg - Philadelphia - Washington when the car traveled on The Three Rivers and The Carolinian as part of the move from Milwaukee WI to Lanncaster SC

#370656  by jhdeasy

pennsy wrote:Yo Fellas,

The most sought after railcar to be purchased for an individual owner, or a private corportation owner is a Dome car. Just a helpful hint for someone who not only has an interesting hobby and interest, but a deep pocket.

True in many cases, but this is not always an accurate statement.

Some people prefer a business car with an open observation platform. Some other would prefer a streamlined obsertaion car.

If your business base and home location is the northeast, a dome car does not make as much sense as a car that can meet NorthEast Corridor clearances.

#376951  by jhdeasy

CarterB wrote:What was the car diagram of the Moonlight Dome (configuration)? What is the status of it today and where?
I found this diagram of MOONLIGHT DOME on Ozark Mountain Railcar's website:

It is 95 % plus accurate ... however, I think "bedroom D" under the dome has been altered ... last time I was onborad the car was about a year and one half ago when the owner moved it from Milwaukee WI to the Lancaster & Chester Railway (Lancaster SC).

#377288  by CarterB

jhdeasy: Thanks for posting the diagram! Looks to me like a great layout for a PV car. 3DRs and whatever they reconfigured under the dome for a crew BR or shower would make for a very comfortable unit.

#377294  by Greg Moore

Hmm, that would be a sweet ride.

Yeah, I think we need a few more dome cars!

I'll put them on the next order of equipment for Amtrak. :-)
 #394322  by Greg Moore

Had the weirdest dream last night. I was on an Amtrak train that was exclusively dome cars including a "boat-tail" dome.

Got me thinking about Amtrak and domes and customer perception.

In my opinion there's definitely been to much emphasis on "cutting expenses" which ultimately ends up hurting them. For the most part, the trains have become far too utilitarian. Yeah, they get you there, they get you there in some modicum of comfort, but there's really no pizzazz. Often "business class" is barely better than coach (ok, usually 2-1 seating and free drinks... that's about it.)

So.... back to Domes....

Yeah, I know in many places they may not be practical, etc.

But if we're starting to talk about a Viewliner II or Amfleet III order perhaps some thought should be given to a dome design for some cars or even a few boattail designs. These could be used on some of the medium-distance trains could have a "1st class" service that would include a dome or boat-tail.

For example the Adirondack, Piedmont and a few others.

Thoughts?

#394330  by hsr_fan

I'd love to see a Viewliner version of the Sightseer Lounge, if not an actual dome!

#394331  by gprimr1

That is a weakness of Eastern LD trains. The current Cafe cars are not really lounge cars.

#394399  by Tadman

The current cafe cars are like McDonalds with orange walls and really crappy $5 cheeseburgers. Which is why I tend to stay away from eastern LD's.

#394471  by John_Perkowski

I hate to say it, but it seems to me this is wishful thinking.

First, Amtrak doesn't even have $$$$$ to build new cars. Second, there are lots of cars needed before Amtrak builds lounges (Sleepers come to mind).

Third, until we get a more-pro "fun" (for wont of a better word) Congress and Administration, I can't see any space being built that doesn't try to capture some of its costs back.

Yes, I WANT the City of Saint Louis to return in all her glory. Those who were around before I began my term on the moderator team knew my sig: The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is my standard for passenger rail travel whereever I go. It still is, but I cannot see a DC corporation run "as if for profit" being allowed "luxury" space.

#394479  by mtuandrew

Here's an idea: Amtrak could make a closed-circuit TV system with front and rear cameras to capture the views in front and behind the train, and a projector and screen or a large TV at either end of the car so the view is scaled to actual size. A gutted Viewliner sleeper would work perfectly for this, since its offset corridor would allow for a blank wall at the front and back of the car to project the simulated front and back views. Finally, at night the projectors could be used for movies, since there's not much going on outside.

This would allow the advantages of the dome on the cheap, since it would probably cost only $8,000 per car to equip them (2 cameras, inside housings to keep bugs, water and ice off them + 2 projectors + screens + wiring + a pair of DVD players, for showing two separate movies). In fact, they are probably wired for most of that stuff already, minus the cameras. It'd cost more if Amtrak wanted a true Sightseer with clear roof panels, but that could be arranged too.

#394512  by ne plus ultra

mtuandrew wrote:Here's an idea: Amtrak could make a closed-circuit TV system with front and rear cameras to capture the views in front and behind the train, and a projector and screen or a large TV at either end of the car so the view is scaled to actual size. A gutted Viewliner sleeper would work perfectly for this, since its offset corridor would allow for a blank wall at the front and back of the car to project the simulated front and back views. Finally, at night the projectors could be used for movies, since there's not much going on outside.

This would allow the advantages of the dome on the cheap, since it would probably cost only $8,000 per car to equip them (2 cameras, inside housings to keep bugs, water and ice off them + 2 projectors + screens + wiring + a pair of DVD players, for showing two separate movies). In fact, they are probably wired for most of that stuff already, minus the cameras. It'd cost more if Amtrak wanted a true Sightseer with clear roof panels, but that could be arranged too.
That IS a cool idea. And you're right, it really could be pretty inexpensive.