Railroad Forums 

• California Zephyr newb questions

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1077198  by Gilbert B Norman

TedBell wrote:On another note, it appears that AMTRAK and UTA don't get along nicely. The eastbound train arrives in SLC around 3:00am. But there is no light rail or commuter rail (UTA service) running at this time. So I'll have to drive to the Intermodal Hub and leave my car there for the extended weekend. Seems like a waste when both TRAX (light rail) and FrontRunner (commuter rail) terminate at the AMTRAK station. And I live a few blocks away from a TRAX station. Go figure.
Mr. Bell, I really think it unreasonable to expect a municipal mass transit system to be operating at 3AM; OK yes in a city the size of either New York or Chicago, but Salt Lake City? that's a "little much".

Sure, it would have been nice if the D&RGW station could have become your Amtrak and mass transit hub rather than a cultural center (nicer yet if the UP were, but let's not stand in the way of the American passion for "shoppertainment"), but for that I reference Mick and friends. Think of how many more mass transit resources you have, even if not a nice building for a hub, as do your friends on the other side of the mountains in Denver. Over there, they do a good "talk the talk" regarding real railroad (heavy rail) regional (commuter) transportation. You guys clearly "walked the walk' with Frontrunner.

I hold many a fond memory to this day of the region from when I was stationed at Hill AFB 1968-69; I visited on several an occasion during the 70's and 80's and was glad to be able to return during '10. I may even pencil it in for a trip during '13.

Finally, to return this post to Amtrak affairs, while I believe you will find your trip to be far more enjoyable if you were to "spring" for a Roomette (looking out the rear is a Jersey Mike "thing"; why, not completely sure), I'm not going to be the auto salesman with the line of "you say you can't afford it, I going to show you that you can" and let that matter rest beyond noting that there are many more real avoidable costs to operating an auto than simply putting gas in it (oh I guess that's the case for some kids who live in a world of "Dad, may I borrow the car, I'll put some gas in it"). Some may wonder why 5-6, Zephyr, could not be scheduled so as to serve Salt Lake City at people hours. Truth is that neither did the City of LA or the (pre-Amtrak) California Zephyr. Denver still represents a greater passenger base, and if there were to be people hour scheduling through SLC, it would be "0-dark-30" through DEN, as well as disruption to the connections made at Chicago.

Have a good trip; thanks for your participation here - and especially your choice to register under what would appear to be your given name.
 #1077213  by TedBell

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Bell, I really think it unreasonable to expect a municipal mass transit system to be operating at 3AM; OK yes in a city the size of either New York or Chicago, but Salt Lake City? that's a "little much".
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Finally, to return this post to Amtrak affairs, while I believe you will find your trip to be far more enjoyable if you were to "spring" for a Roomette (looking out the rear is a Jersey Mike "thing"; why, not completely sure), I'm not going to be the auto salesman with the line of "you say you can't afford it, I going to show you that you can" and let that matter rest beyond noting that there are many more real avoidable costs to operating an auto than simply putting gas in it (oh I guess that's the case for some kids who live in a world of "Dad, may I borrow the car, I'll put some gas in it"). Some may wonder why 5-6, Zephyr, could not be scheduled so as to serve Salt Lake City at people hours. Truth is that neither did the City of LA or the (pre-Amtrak) California Zephyr. Denver still represents a greater passenger base, and if there were to be people hour scheduling through SLC, it would be "0-dark-30" through DEN, as well as disruption to the connections made at Chicago.
Thank you for your reply and very useful information Gilbert. I very much agree, it doesn't make much sense to operate much public transportation at 3:00am in a city the size of SLC. I'm looking forward to seeing how many passengers board and exit the train at this station.

As far as the cost of operating a vehicle being more than the price of gasoline, I understand completely. But even accounting for maintenance, insurance, wear and tear, etc., the cost to take the train is still higher, not to mention the added length of the trip. My car averages 32MPG. I have chosen to take Amtrak for the experience. To enjoy the trip, not just the destination. This is also a sort of "discovery mission" for me. I believe I mentioned before that this will be my first trip on Amtrak. If all goes well I look forward to taking my daughters on the next trip, and definitely getting a sleeper for them.
 #1079099  by TedBell

Reporting back on my first Amtrak experience. It was incredible. I'm surprised more people don't use Amtrak. I was also surprised that over 80 people boarded the train in Salt Lake City with me. Possibly higher than average number due to the Labor Day Weekend.

The seats were large and comfortable. I am a small person and have two very small daughters. I would like to get a Roomette next time, but Amtrak won't let me book one online with 3 passengers. Does anyone know if we would be able to book a Roomette by talking on the phone to a reservations agent? We don't need meals for 3 (one of my daughters has severe fool allergies), so I'm not trying to take advantage of the situation. We simply don't need a larger room.

#1079113  by Jersey_Mike

The seats were large and comfortable. I am a small person and have two very small daughters. I would like to get a Roomette next time, but Amtrak won't let me book one online with 3 passengers. Does anyone know if we would be able to book a Roomette by talking on the phone to a reservations agent? We don't need meals for 3 (one of my daughters has severe fool allergies), so I'm not trying to take advantage of the situation. We simply don't need a larger room.
There is a strange and mystical process for getting three people into a Rommette and I have had several people tell me that it can be done, even with three non-children. It will go either one of two ways. The first is you talk to some agent either at a station or over the phone who can somehow stuff a third person into the Roomette. The second is that you just book the Roomette and an extra coach ticket and then talk to the conductor. These two processes may have to be combined. With children I find it highly unlikely that the on board crew would be dicks and force one of your party to go stay back in coach. The reason I know this works is because sleeping accommodations are somewhat flexible. Once I was issued a sleeping car ticket, but the second person I was traveling with was issued a plain Reserved Coach ticket and the conductor did not bat an eyelash. Another time I purchased a open "reserved" ticket with the intention of riding with someone who had an open space in his Roomette...again I was not challenged on being a "true" sleeping car passenger. There is sort of an unwritten code that if you can jam a third person in the roomette the crew won't really stop you. With children not only is this more understandable, it also won't cause a problem with the sleeping car meals as your kids will probably be on the kids menu

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the trip and I hope you take it again sometime.
 #1079124  by mtuandrew

TedBell wrote:one of my daughters has severe fool allergies
Unintentional, but I think you'll find many posters here with the same allergy :wink:

Wonderful picture. Glad you enjoyed yourselves, and hopefully you'll get to experience Amtrak again! Also, I think you'll find the same around the country in terms of heavy boarding, not just at the major hubs of Los Angeles, Oakland, Chicago, and Northest Corridor destinations. I know that my hometown Minneapolis-St. Paul station routinely boards 50 people bound for Chicago daily on the Empire Builder, and the number easily bumps up past 100 on holiday weekends. Likewise, I've boarded the westbound Southwest Chief in Kansas City with at least 50 people, and have seen 70-odd people waiting for the Capitol Limited in Pittsburgh. It's the kind of situation that begs for more trains, despite the immense problems with adding more capacity.
 #1079175  by TedBell

Jersey_Mike wrote:There is a strange and mystical process for getting three people into a Rommette and I have had several people tell me that it can be done, even with three non-children. It will go either one of two ways. The first is you talk to some agent either at a station or over the phone who can somehow stuff a third person into the Roomette. The second is that you just book the Roomette and an extra coach ticket and then talk to the conductor.
Thanks for the advice Jersey Mike. I actually attempted your 2nd idea, but either way I can't book a child's fare without any accompanying adult fare, so if I book a child and adult with a roomette, I am unable to book my second child's fare separately. But it was a good thought. I'll just talk to an agent on the phone and get it sorted before our next trip.

I peaked into several rooms and noticed that you can lay down the top bunk while having both seats upright. Plenty of space for the 3 of us!

We'll probably go coach on the way back - mostly daylight hours on this segment. Is it possible to actually reserve 3 seats next to each other? Another discussion for the phone agent perhaps?
 #1079180  by TedBell

mtuandrew wrote:
Unintentional, but I think you'll find many posters here with the same allergy :wink:
Interesting, have you had experiences in the cafe or diner car with food allergies? Are they accomodating? For example, could we order some fruit for breakfast, perhaps a plain chicken breast cooked on a piece of tin foil for lunch, etc? I can always bring a cooler with our own food, but it would be nice if she can actually have a nice fresh/hot meal occasionally.
 #1079183  by mtuandrew

TedBell wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:
Interesting, have you had experiences in the cafe or diner car with food allergies? Are they accomodating? For example, could we order some fruit for breakfast, perhaps a plain chicken breast cooked on a piece of tin foil for lunch, etc? I can always bring a cooler with our own food, but it would be nice if she can actually have a nice fresh/hot meal occasionally.
Oh, sorry, I was capitalizing on your having spelled it "fool" allergies :grin:

However, Amtrak is generally willing to work with customers who have food allergies, as long as they have forewarning. I'm sure they can accommodate gluten-free, peanut-free, and other special diets, though I don't know to what extent - if you give them a call, we'd be interested to find out!
 #1079201  by Greg Moore

mtuandrew wrote:
TedBell wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:
Oh, sorry, I was capitalizing on your having spelled it "fool" allergies :grin:

However, Amtrak is generally willing to work with customers who have food allergies, as long as they have forewarning. I'm sure they can accommodate gluten-free, peanut-free, and other special diets, though I don't know to what extent - if you give them a call, we'd be interested to find out!

Details are found here.
 #1079205  by TedBell

mtuandrew wrote:Oh, sorry, I was capitalizing on your having spelled it "fool" allergies :grin:
LOL, I should have noticed that both times! Still a little tired after arriving at 3:00am today and then working a full day at the office.
 #1079226  by TedBell

Greg Moore wrote:Details are found here.
Thanks. I followed that link prior to my trip. The answer was "The dining car waiter or lead service attendant can provide guidance."

Guess I should have asked on my last journey.
 #1098273  by Arborwayfan

Mr Bell,
If you are planning another trip and your dates are a bit flexible, look around at the prices of bedrooms (2 pax but I think they can easily do 3 on the phone) and family bedrooms (4 pax). Sometimes they are as cheap as roomettes, or close. I assume that happens when demand for roomettes is high and for bedrooms is low.
Sam Martland (Since Mr. Norman likes real names. I have nothing to hide. I just chose a false name because everyone seemed to use one, as a fun thing. Arborway is the closed trolley line whose last few years I saw from my schoolbus in Jamaica Plain, Mass.)