• Two chargers crap out and Illinois Central SD70 pinch hits

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

jwhite07 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:45 pm 2024 - 1999 = 25 year old engine... but still, seemed to be doing mighty fine showing the new upstarts how it's done and looking as good as a black brick can in doing so!
Mr. White, going off topic at the sufferance of the Moderators, do you also refer to Norfolk Southern engines as "Black Bricks"?

If they are clean, I think such is a mighty smart livery, and with Topper rearing, it evokes an image of "let's go", which of course is what trains are supposed to do.

Finally lest we forget, steam held on until "late in the game" (October '60) on the IC (gotta show loyalty to our on-line Southern Illinois and Kentucky coal industries), so it figures that their freight Diesels, which were mainly GP units, would be liveried as if they were simply carrying on in the footsteps of their steam predecessors.
  by jwhite07

The color black on a locomotive is certainly traditional, and yeah, when it's done right it looks good. I have no problem with that. And I rather like the no nonsense lines of a classic standard cab EMD anyway. The juxtaposition between the SD70 and the flowing lines and flashy paint of the new Chargers is a bit jarring, but that SD70 was getting the job done in its work clothes no problem!
  by Railjunkie

Myself I don't care what color they are as long as they run. The P32ACDM and P42 for all the issues and faults still seem to run better than these Siemens Yugos. The biggest issue I can see from the little to no training I have had is everything is controlled by the computer. Seems if you don't follow exact steps one would expect to hear "I'm sorry Dave I can't let you do that." Meanwhile somewhat analog and "pong" controlled GE's are still rolling along.
  by Tadman

jwhite07 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:45 pm
Also, in regards your comment on qualified pairs of eyes, I think not Chatsworth where there was but one set of eyes distracted, but the VIA Rail Aldershot derailment of 2012 in which three employees on the head end all missed a key signal with disastrous results, is more to the unfortunate point that putting additional eyes up front is not considered an acceptable alternative to functional PTC.
We discussed this long ago but the Aldershot accident supposedly was result of in-cab banter if I recall correctly. It points to the need to develop better crew resource management. The airlines have found that better communication between pilots (and enforced lack of banter in situations like takeoff/landing) has significantly reduced incident rates.

At one point I think someone said CSX has required casual banter to stop in certain situations, I can't recall details.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:16 am Finally lest we forget, steam held on until "late in the game"....so it figures that their freight Diesels, which were mainly GP units, would be liveried as if they were simply carrying on in the footsteps of their steam predecessors.
For ready reference:

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5166/53 ... 138024.jpg
  by CSRR573

Railjunkie wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:57 am Myself I don't care what color they are as long as they run. The P32ACDM and P42 for all the issues and faults still seem to run better than these Siemens Yugos. The biggest issue I can see from the little to no training I have had is everything is controlled by the computer. Seems if you don't follow exact steps one would expect to hear "I'm sorry Dave I can't let you do that." Meanwhile somewhat analog and "pong" controlled GE's are still rolling along.
Thats 100 percent how our "new" wheel true machine is. Also we can have all 4 combo units out and in on a p42 in a day, Thats a 2 day process in a ACS. Things are a Maintenace nightmare. Were scheduled to get a new charger in Boston for training in may. Just got our first 38-3 up here last week.
  by Railjunkie

Charger was in Rennselaer for about a month I saw it, moved it with a new GP38-3 and that was about it for the Charger for me. Plenty of my fellow raccoons received a class but I did not. Can not wait till one shows up on 48/448 and they tell me to move it. Move that? How?
The 38-3s are nice the only thing I have found with them so far is the ACSES but hey I know who installed it. It has been a little wonky. A bit of a learning curve on the brake stand its similar to a conventional but different in the way you handle a couple of things.
  by CSRR573

The 38 brake stand is bascially a ACS stand only rotated 90 degrees and The selector switch is like a ACS which is the opposite of a P42. Not sure on a Dual mode tho. Never been in cab of one
  by Railjunkie

Dual mode is the same set up as a 42 only difference is you can only "bail" with the independent.
  by CSRR573

So its like an ACS then, bail is only on the independent too. Selector switch is L-Pass-Fright-Test-Trail-R where as the P42 is L-Trail-Test-Freight-Pass-R
  by Railjunkie

The selector switch is the same as the 42 L-trail, test, freight, pass-R with the ability to bail only with the independent. Then were the slow speed backing dial is located that's where are mode change knob and push button is located. A little extra info for ya