Railroad Forums 

• Better food near Amtrak stations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1522796  by mcgrath618

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:07 pm At PHL, an Amtrak ticket includes connection to or from Center City (Suburban/Penn Center or Market East/Jefferson) via SEPTA at no charge, so why not stop at Reading Terminal Market with many dining options and fresh foods?
Huh. TIL.
 #1522805  by Tadman

Seconded in Eugene, I have enjoyed that place after a later arrival. Great pics on the wall, too.
 #1522821  by lordsigma12345

Yesterday I boarded the Auto Train in Lorton. I was the second person in line and checked in quite early so I walked across the street to a shopping center. They had a pizza place, a Japanese restaurant, a Quiznos sun shop, a Dunkin’ Donuts, and glory days bar and grill (which I’m assuming is a smaller restaurant chain.) I went to the glory days restaurant and it was pretty good. Good alternative to sitting and waiting inside the station.
 #1522849  by mtuandrew

lordsigma12345 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:39 pm Yesterday I boarded the Auto Train in Lorton. I was the second person in line and checked in quite early so I walked across the street to a shopping center. They had a pizza place, a Japanese restaurant, a Quiznos sun shop, a Dunkin’ Donuts, and glory days bar and grill (which I’m assuming is a smaller restaurant chain.) I went to the glory days restaurant and it was pretty good. Good alternative to sitting and waiting inside the station.
Yep, Glory Days is a regional chain. https://www.glorydaysgrill.com/about/ I’ve never been, glad to know it’s good.
 #1522879  by Station Aficionado

In Washington, if you have time to get away from Union Station, there’s an excellent German restaurant, Cafe Berlin, about 10 minutes walk up Mass Ave. Great food and an excellent seasonal rotation of German beers (each served in an appropriate brewery-specific glass).
 #1523740  by ryanov

New London has a fair amount of decent food in the area. Captain Scott's Lobster Dock is where we went last we were in town, and on the way back took out pizza that we ordered ahead from 2 Wives (they have vegan options). Also good. Neither is that close to the station (if you look at the geography, you see why for Captain Scott's, even though it's right next to the tracks).

Newark Penn Station has one of/the largest Portuguese populations outside of Portugal in the Ironbound section, so many good Portuguese/Brazillian options right outside the station. A beer bar, Bello's, with a really large selection is alright right across the street on the east side of the station, and a Dinosaur BBQ, Mercato Pizza/Novelty Burger/Noodle Shop & Bar all a couple of blocks away near the Prudential arena.

Was in Rochester this weekend and can recommend both Fifth Frame Brewing and St. Paul Proper for takeout before the train. They're nearly adjacent to each other a few minutes walk to the station.
 #1524368  by Tadman

I will second the Portuguese idea in Newark, Fornos is a dynamite place a few blocks away.

I just spent a night at the new Hilton Memphis Central Station hotel, which is also an active Amtrak facility. They have done wonderful things and it is so nice now. I'm not aware of a restaurant, but Arcade greasy spoon is just across the road and is excellent diner food. If you arrive from Chicago at 530a and have some time to kill before a meeting, it's a great place to wake up and have some coffee and eggs.

Check out their new website: https://centralstationmemphis.com/

Also it's easy to watch the City come and go from rooms on the west side of the hotel.
 #1524720  by troffey

markhb wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:55 am BOS has several options in the head house. BON, from which you can catch the Downeaster to Maine, is attached to The Hub on Causeway which has a market, a new sports bar with the largest LED TV on the East Coast, and a food hall (hubhallboston.com) opening this winter. POR is currently adjacent to the Thompson's Point development which has one place to eat and several trendy places to imbibe.
BOS also has a variety of food trucks across the street on the Greenway during decent weather.
 #1524767  by ThirdRail7

Greg Moore wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:06 am
I hit the Shake Shack at WAS..and I was way underwhelmed.
You were also overcharged! :wink:

I was in NYP a few weeks ago and noticed a lot of the restaurants in and near the stations have been wiped out. I guess the overpriced food hall (Pennsy Hall?) will have to suffice.
 #1524879  by ALP45DP 4515

For NYP if you're looking for pizza, try Don Pepi. The slices are pretty good, especially for being "train station food".

If you want something with a bit more flair, walk two blocks down W 32nd Street towards Broadway into Koreatown and try this place called BB.Q Olive Chicken. It's a Korean fried chicken chain and they have different flavors of Korean fried chicken. The "Secret Sauced" and "Dakgangjeong" boneless wings are to die for. There have been times where I've taken the train into the city just for this Chicken. :-D

It's just two blocks from NYP and gives you something different compared to the tourist trappy places around NYP.

http://www.bbqktownnyc.com
 #1524884  by Traingeek3629

kitn1mcc wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:26 pm old saybrook has pizza works and Zhangs
Seconded. My kids (and me) love Pizzaworks and my wife loves Zhangs. If I am taking a morning train out of OSB, I'll stop into Ashlawn Farms Coffee, which is good for coffee and breakfast items.