Railroad Forums 

• Amfleet with black roof

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1522802  by NaugyRR

/Sarcasm/
I didn't realize Amtrak was running ALCo power :wink:
 #1522826  by Matt Johnson

Amtrak has been applying to the Amfleet roofs whatever it was NJ Transit started applying the Arrow IIIs a few years back. I'm guessing maybe they're starting to leak!
 #1522852  by Tadman

Rumor has it Aramark has exactly 4,000 containers of leftover salisbury steak gravy from east-coast full diner operations that they're using instead. :-D
 #1522990  by R Paul Carey

The choice of black, presumably to seal the Amfleet bodies, is a sub-optimal choice, due to the heat-absorbing properties of black sealant in this area.

Regardless of the reason, i.e., "we always used black" or "the washers don't reach the roof, so we'll match the dirt", use of a non-reflective coating will unnecessarily increase the summer load on the air conditioning systems.

This is a bad idea, which I recall was introduced on the NYC in the late 1950s, matching the dirt that accumulated above the reach of the car wash brushes.

Perhaps someone with the facts can tell us "what's up".
 #1523027  by mackdave

It sounds like what the New York Central called "car cement", they used it to seal up the roofs of their equipment, both freight and passenger.

Dave Mackay
 #1523052  by Tadman

R Paul Carey wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:34 am ...This is a bad idea, which I recall was introduced on the NYC in the late 1950s, matching the dirt that accumulated above the reach of the car wash brushes.
I seem to recall this method being used on more than just NYC - PC adopted it, as did Seaboard Coast Line and their constituent properties as well.

Perhaps it's a one-car experiment or temporary solution.
 #1523067  by David Benton

Probably a more modern version something like this .
https://rubberizeit.com/pages/roof-appl ... gL5KfD_BwE
Note , I haven't used or endorse this particular product , just the first line that came up in a google search for rubber roof sealers in the USA.

The problem with them is they are usually black, and as noted , it will stain when exposed to the sun . We paint over with a NZ UV stable white paint, our UV levels will ruin most overseas rubbers and plastics.
 #1532058  by BandA

I thought the roofs were also made of stainless steel, and never rust. If they are cracking it's probably time to retire. Are there fasteners penetrating the metal that are leaking? Or is this purely cosmetic painting? Perhaps freeze damage?