Railroad Forums 

• VRE, MARC frequencies?

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#78184  by starionwolf

HI, I was wondering if anyone had any frequencies for the Virginia Railway Express or Marc trains? I live west of Washington D.C.

I set my ham radio to scan between 160.215 and 161.565. I can hear Amtrak, CSX and the Washington MetroRail problems. I think I'm too far from the railroads to hear Amtrak's northeast road channel on 160.920 (CH 54).

Later

#79472  by Engineer

I don't have any particular frequencies, but heres one thing to remember.
When running on a host railroad(the freight railroad that actually owns the line) they will use that frequency, whether is Amtrak, CSX, or NS.

#79717  by starionwolf

Ok, thanks! I was wondering why I couldn't find any frequencies soley for VRE. I didn't know VRE shares frequencies with host railways.

Now that I found some Amtrak, Conrail and CSX frequencies, I'll keep listening for the VRE and Marc trains.

#204697  by JDtowerMaryland

HI, I was wondering if anyone had any frequencies for the Virginia Railway Express or Marc trains? I live west of Washington D.C.

My knowledge is primarily for the Marc system

Marc Camden line and Marc Brunswick line are as follows

Primary road/dispatch
aar channel 8 (160-230)

Contact Dispatcher channel
aar channel 14 (160-320)

Marc Penn Line Primary dispatch
aar channel 54 (160-920)

Note: Csx has good continual voice on their channels(aar ch 8 and 14)
I rarely hear much on Amtrak (aar ch 54) It is the proper channel, its just that there is not much that is said on the road channel on Amtrak in the NE coridor..

p.s. The remaining yards(that I know of in the area(Brunswick, Jessup, various Baltimore yards) do indeed use different frequencies.. If you want these please let me know as I just need to fire up my motorola radio rss and pull the information off the radio for you..

Hope this helps..

Stay safe :-D

#204698  by JDtowerMaryland

In answer to your question starionwolf,

My knowledge is primarily for the Marc system

A good choice for VRE would be the RF+P road frequencies (for the south) and the NS road freq for the west(Manassas)

Marc Camden line and Marc Brunswick line are as follows

Primary road/dispatch
aar channel 8 (160-230)

Contact Dispatcher channel
aar channel 14 (160-320)

Marc Penn Line Primary dispatch
aar channel 54 (160-920)

Note: Csx has good continual voice on their channels(aar ch 8 and 14)
I rarely hear much on Amtrak (aar ch 54) It is the proper channel, its just that there is not much that is said on the road channel on Amtrak in the NE coridor..

p.s. The remaining yards(that I know of in the area(Brunswick, Jessup, various Baltimore yards) do indeed use different frequencies.. If you want these please let me know as I just need to fire up my motorola radio rss and pull the information off the radio for you..

Hope this helps..

Stay safe :-D

#301640  by tazman021706

VRE: 161.550 for the RF&P (Fredericksburg Line) and 160.950 for NS (Manassas Line)
Not to sure for MARC.

#301642  by tazman021706

160.410 RF&P Dispatch (CSX) Fredericksburg
161.550 RF&P Road (CSX)
160.245 SR Dispatch (NS) Manassas
160.950 SR Road (NS)