Railroad Forums 

• MOW Channel

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#971665  by wilmette2008

Good afternoon, how come the railroad MOW channels are infreqently used, when I hear MOW in my area they just use the road channel, am I missing something or are MOW channels not used anymore?
 #971697  by Freddy

they'll use it for discussions but for the most part they want to listen out for trains and anybody else the might be calling them.
 #971772  by Gadfly

wilmette2008 wrote:Good afternoon, how come the railroad MOW channels are infreqently used, when I hear MOW in my area they just use the road channel, am I missing something or are MOW channels not used anymore?

Freddy is correct. You'll also hear MoW frequencies around shops. When out near the Line of Road, we'd listen on the road channel, or if we needed to talk to a particular train about something....or sometimes we'd hail a particular crewman or engineer we knew to be on it. ;)

GF